Canucks in Germany - July 2008

Guest Ed

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Nobody gives a rats ass about U20's in the UK. I doubt he'll show for us at that level.

Maybe that is a contributing factor to youth player development being so poor in the UK. Unless a player is a starter at a major club, the U20 is good for anyone's career. I am not sure why so many players miss it, especially when a lot of the top talent does show up. It is usually a case of a player's ego being larger than their talent and it is unsurprising that many promising players who turn down a U20 callup never fulfill their potential. Anyway as long as Hoillet remains a potential top player we should be trying to call him up to the U20 team. Once he actually becomes a top player is when we should be calling him up to the senior squad (though a friendly for a look wouldn't hurt at the present).

Rob is back on fire. He scored twice as M´Gladbach beated spanish cup winner FC Valencia 4:2.

He had pretty much fun, got good passes and is looking forward to the beginning of the new season he said.

http://www.borussia.de/de/borussia_news_detail,185,0,newsid-162811.html

Niklas Ledgerwood went 90 minutes for 1860 against Galatasaray Istanbul in a scoreless friendly on saturday

Season opening at the Betzenberg, still without Josh Simpson, but he will be expacted soon. If he´s fit again, he shouldn´t have any problems to return on the left wing. Promotion team Hoffenheim did not let the red devils any chances and won 3:0.

The new season starts next weekend with the first round of German Cup.

One would have to think that 1860 would play their starting lineup against Gala so it looks like Ledgerwood has won a starting position this year. It seems like he has been converted to holding mid though which is probably not optimal from a national team perspective since we are deep there but have little cover at right back. Not that he won't be able to play right back but it is certainly better if he is playing the same position for club and country. Hopefully he will stay injury free this year because I think this would have happened two years ago had it not been for all of his injuries.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

One would have to think that 1860 would play their starting lineup against Gala so it looks like Ledgerwood has won a starting position this year. It seems like he has been converted to holding mid though which is probably not optimal from a national team perspective since we are deep there but have little cover at right back. Not that he won't be able to play right back but it is certainly better if he is playing the same position for club and country. Hopefully he will stay injury free this year because I think this would have happened two years ago had it not been for all of his injuries.

Most important thing Grizzly is that he plays. With all of the injuries Nik hasn't been doing too much of that over the last couple of years. As long as Nik plays, he will eventually find his true position.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I have also expressed the same sentiment many times on this board. However, sometimes you have no other option in the squad and you have to deal with it accordingly. Pre-injury, Ledgerwood's most recent pro experience has been as a fullback, so that may come into play in the near future regarding whether or not he gets back into the MNT set up for this qualifying round. But for now, I hope he gets regular first team club football action, injury-free.

Archived