Canucks in Germany - July 2008

Guest Ed

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

This question always gets asked and I must be a total idiot for still not knowing the answer: What other countries is Hoilett eligible for?!

Born and raised in Canada, right?

Well his Dad is a Reggae DJ so Jamaica would be a good first guess. Mind you, De Ro is a Reggae DJ, eats roti, but is not from de island mon.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yallop has caught a whole lot of crap for playing Peters in the last cycle, and I don't disagree overall. But with Mitchell the pendulum seems to have swung completely in the other direction, and I really think he has an aversion to the youngins based on the U20 results in '07. Every other country will give their exceptionally talented youngsters a look. Torres, Ronaldo, Micah Richards, and Corluka were all playing important matches around Hoilett's age. It's easy to say that David is not Torres, but for us -relatively- maybe he is? And a pacey striker can play alone in a 4-5-1 if he has a good work rate and is talented enough on the ball to swap positions with Deguzman or DeRo. I say give him a chance. If we go up on Jamaica, they will come at us, and have a quick striker on the bench to counter may be exactly what we need.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Yallop has caught a whole lot of crap for playing Peters in the last cycle, and I don't disagree overall. But with Mitchell the pendulum seems to have swung completely in the other direction, and I really think he has an aversion to the youngins based on the U20 results in '07. Every other country will give their exceptionally talented youngsters a look. Torres, Ronaldo, Micah Richards, and Corluka were all playing important matches around Hoilett's age. It's easy to say that David is not Torres, but for us -relatively- maybe he is? And a pacey striker can play alone in a 4-5-1 if he has a good work rate and is talented enough on the ball to swap positions with Deguzman or DeRo. I say give him a chance. If we go up on Jamaica, they will come at us, and have a quick striker on the bench to counter may be exactly what we need.

Well, Johnson, Begovic, Edgar, Hainault, Peters, De Jong, Jakovic, Rosenlund, Wagenaar (those guys are all under 23) have all been called for MNT activities under Mitchell. I'm not sure we can say he has an aversion for the youngsters but none of them are really making a good case for themselves base on their club performances. It's tough to see who those guys could replace in our current squad or starting 11 (for those who are already in the squad).

I think it's not a good example to look at how many youngsters are playing for country X and expect the same thing for Canada. We have to look at what we have right now and I'm all for playing exceptionnal young talents but they still have to make a case for themselves before getting a call. Our current exceptionnal talent who has made a case for himself by his club performances isn't interested in playing for us at the moment....I hope Hoilett turns out to be better than him but I just think he needs to prove he's worth the call.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

It's tough to see who those guys could replace in our current squad or starting 11 (for those who are already in the squad).

It's not tough to see at all, as we need a striker because Ali Gerba will not be fit for the Jamaica match. To my mind, it's either OO or we have to look at other options. Hoilett is defintely in the other options category. I have nothing against OO, and sure he's scoring goals at a professional level, but I would argue that he doesn't provide anything we don't already have in Rob Friend. If we are leading 1-0 at home and Jamaica are closing us down all over the pitch, is Friend going to be effective? Do we need someone to hold up the ball in this instance? Probably not, because the tempo is going to be fast and we're going to look to counter. Hoillet is the only natural pacey striker I can see short (NPI) of Jaime Peters, who has little finish. Radz, Issey, DeRo, are not this type of player, and these guys will likely be on the pitch already.

EDIT: Forgot about Humey. But I'd still like to have both on the bench.

You have more posts than me about David Hoilett in this thread. Sorry for disagreeing with you, won't happen again.

Exactly. This kid is worth getting excited about IMHO. If he is in the top 10 in Bundesliga 2 scoring at end of September (about 7 games in), will you think he is ready for a callup for the last 2 games? I think he is worth a look right now. Sounds like the type of player we need.

It's not tough to see at all, as we need a striker because Ali Gerba will not be fit for the Jamaica match. To my mind, it's either OO or we have to look at other options. Hoilett is defintely in the other options category. I have nothing against OO, and sure he's scoring goals at a professional level, but I would argue that he doesn't provide anything we don't already have in Rob Friend. If we are leading 1-0 at home and Jamaica are closing us down all over the pitch, is Friend going to be effective? Do we need someone to hold up the ball in this instance? Probably not, because the tempo is going to be fast and we're going to look to counter. Hoillet is the only natural pacey striker I can see short (NPI) of Jaime Peters, who has little finish. Radz, Issey, DeRo, are not this type of player, and these guys will likely be on the pitch already.

EDIT: Forgot about Humey. But I'd still like to have both on the bench.

So, what if Friend injures himself after 5 min and you don't have Gerba or OO on the bench because you've called Hoilett instead?

We have 18 players to select and at the moment I feel pretty good with the players we have so far (Friend, Gerba/OO, Issey, Radz, DeRo, Hume/Simpson) not sure we need an experimentation of this kind (even if it would be a better move than bringing Peters and Simpson in 2004).

I have to agree with Loyola on this one. WCQ is not the time to be experimenting and capping young promising players. I have followed Hoilett in Germany pretty closely as well and he had good reviews for his performances in Paderborn especially considering his age. Nevertheless, his performances were not superior nor even equal to Simpson's during this time. If we are going to call him up for a WCQ match he needs to establish himself as a top player in the 2nd BL not just as a top talent. If he sets the league on fire like Friend did last year then I can see calling him up for a WCQ match. Otherwise I think it is best to wait for a friendly or camp.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Exactly. This kid is worth getting excited about IMHO. If he is in the top 10 in Bundesliga 2 scoring at end of September (about 7 games in), will you think he is ready for a callup for the last 2 games? I think he is worth a look right now. Sounds like the type of player we need.

Sorry Ed, I'm not a big fan of "if" and "sounds".

When DM makes his lineup selection for the August 20 game, he has to be 100 % he has the best players with him. He can't bring someone he doesn't know if he's ready for that kind of competition. That's how I see it and I'm not a big fan of experimentation for WCQ.

That's why I have some reservations about such a move but if he does well early on I say call him.

So, what if Friend injures himself after 5 min and you don't have Gerba or OO on the bench because you've called Hoilett instead?

We have 18 players to select and at the moment I feel pretty good with the players we have so far (Friend, Gerba/OO, Issey, Radz, DeRo, Hume/Simpson) not sure we need an experimentation of this kind (even if it would be a better move than bringing Peters and Simpson in 2004).

If Friend injures himself in the 5th minute, we are in big trouble regardless. I would argue that OO is not able to hold up the ball effectively the way Friend can. It hopefully doesn't matter because we should be able to retain possession anyway in nil-nil situation.

But while we're asking hypothetical questions, what if Jamaica close out down all over the pitch and DeRo and DeGuzman *and* Friend are unable to effectively hold up the ball and maintain possession? What if they force us to play a counter-attacking style where neither Friend nor OO is very effective? I think I've answered my own question that Hume would be a good alternative. But what if he goes down with an injury in the 59th minute?

Obviously OO brings some danger on the set pieces, which is good. But we also need pace and finish. Simpson might be a good answer, but he's not and out-and-out striker.

I'm not really disagreeing with you guys, except to say that the manager shouldn't necessarily weigh ever player selection decision based on age and experience. If he is lacking a type of player, and a promising youngster is available who meets that criteria, I see nothing wrong with giving him a chance.

If Friend injures himself in the 5th minute, we are in big trouble regardless. I would argue that OO is not able to hold up the ball effectively the way Friend can. It hopefully doesn't matter because we should be able to retain possession anyway in nil-nil situation.

But while we're asking hypothetical questions, what if Jamaica close out down all over the pitch and DeRo and DeGuzman *and* Friend are unable to effectively hold up the ball and maintain possession? What if they force us to play a counter-attacking style where neither Friend nor OO is very effective? I think I've answered my own question that Hume would be a good alternative. But what if he goes down with an injury in the 59th minute?

Obviously OO brings some danger on the set pieces, which is good. But we also need pace and finish. Simpson might be a good answer, but he's not and out-and-out striker.

I'm not really disagreeing with you guys, except to say that the manager shouldn't necessarily weigh ever player selection decision based on age and experience. If he is lacking a type of player, and a promising youngster is available who meets that criteria, I see nothing wrong with giving him a chance.

My point was that you don't bring Hoilett to the expense of an athletic forward like Gerba or OO since we have already a few quick players like Hume, Radz, DeRo and Issey to deal with one of them going down injured.

FC Kaiserslautern are playing 1860 Muenchen right now at the Lions' old home stadium. No lineups that I can find as yet, but Josh Simpson likely still out.

Nik L goes 90 minutes for 1860 as a holding midfielder as 1860 defeat a 'Josh-Simpson-less' FC Kaiserslautern 1-0 with a late own goal from the team from the Palatinate. Despite the promising minutes Nik is getting pre-season, he will have a battle for a starting spot as 1860 have the Bender twins coming back from Euro U19 championship team along with Schwarz. His versatility though will likely see him a constant in the 1st 18.

You go away and you miss the boat. Missed the opening weekend of the Liga 3 in Germany. Riley O'Neill was not part of the 18 man squad as Eintracht Braunschweig opened with a sweet 2-0 win over hosts Erzebirge Aue.

B1 and B2 start in two weeks time, with all teams involved in the opening DFB Pokal (German FA Cup) round next weekend.

FC Koln made its biggest signing so far in signing defensive mid and Portugese national team player Armando Petit. This pretty much ensures Pedro Geromel will play CB not defensive mid as he did in a few friendlies. With the quality of signings that Koln is making, McKenna could really be in tough regarding getting playing time though I guess the other side of the coin is if he can establish himself as a starter he should be playing on a mid-table to upper table Bundesliga team.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

FC Koln made its biggest signing so far in signing defensive mid and Portugese national team player Armando Petit. This pretty much ensures Pedro Geromel will play CB not defensive mid as he did in a few friendlies. With the quality of signings that Koln is making, McKenna could really be in tough regarding getting playing time though I guess the other side of the coin is if he can establish himself as a starter he should be playing on a mid-table to upper table Bundesliga team.

I don't know how much striker Kev has played in Germany, but Koln must already be thinking about European aspirations for next season. Any guy who has captained your side, who can play CD and F, and who is still only 28, have to be valuable over the course of a long season -even if he's slower than a Calgary Dinosaur.

Good coverage over Daniel Imhof. It looks like he will be a starter for Bochum this season as CB

http://www.vfl-bochum.de/webcache/Pressespiegel_Kicker_de_583.htm

Telling that he needs to fly a lot the last time, to Canada, back to Germany and now to Japan (friendly game) And then the WQC games for Canada.

He has a lot of confindence, he always prevailed against his competitors, played against Valencia which was a first test for the new season. Nevertheless he formed a habit not to overrate it, he lives for the moment.

A good start into the new season not only would be good for his team, but for Canadien MNT coach Dale Mitchell, as Imhoff needed to cancel the games because of his face injury.

quote:Originally posted by frank

Good coverage over Daniel Imhof. It looks like he will be a starter for Bochum this season as CB

http://www.vfl-bochum.de/webcache/Pressespiegel_Kicker_de_583.htm

Telling that he needs to fly a lot the last time, to Canada, back to Germany and now to Japan (friendly game) And then the WQC games for Canada.

He has a lot of confindence, he always prevailed against his competitors, played against Valencia which was a first test for the new season. Nevertheless he formed a habit not to overrate it, he lives for the moment.

A good start into the new season not only would be good for his team, but for Canadien MNT coach Dale Mitchell, as Imhoff needed to cancel the games because of his face injury.

Thanks for the article Frank. It confirms that he has been called up for the Jamaica game and also implies that he will be selected for the whole WCQ. However, he is not playing as a CB, the "sechser" position is the holding midfielder playing in the middle in front of the backline. I would see him in this role for Canada as well.

Speaking of VfL Bochum, Gianluca Zavarise is doing all right with their amateur team, coming on in the 64th minute on Wednesday and promptly scoring an insurance goal as Bochum amateurs win 3-0 in a friendly.

Oh no. I am shortly heading out of town to an electronics-less retreat. I will therefore tempt fate and hope none of Nik's friends down in Lethbridge will be looking to exact revenge for posting the following. I've seen Hargreaves posing in Lederhosen from his early days at Bayern; Nik should have been so lucky.

622_skins_sam1.jpg

A great chance for David Hoilett to shine this Saturday, as FC St Pauli take on a top Bundesliga side in the form of VfB Stuttgart. The youngster gets some press from Germany's Bild magazine today (Two Big Talents for a Small Price). Mentions how he wants to get in as many games as possible for St Pauli, so that he can reach his goal of playing for Rovers senior team next season:

http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussball/zweite-liga/2008/08/01/stpauli-maxi-talente/mini-preis.html

quote:Originally posted by Ed

A great chance for David Hoilett to shine this Saturday, as FC St Pauli take on a top Bundesliga side in the form of VfB Stuttgart. The youngster gets some press from Germany's Bild magazine today (Two Big Talents for a Small Price). Mentions how he wants to get in as many games as possible for St Pauli, so that he can reach his goal of playing for Rovers senior team next season:

http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussball/zweite-liga/2008/08/01/stpauli-maxi-talente/mini-preis.html

A good U20 World Cup in 2009 would be pretty good for him to increase his chances with Blackburn.

Archived