Sounders beat Chivas USA in U.S. Open Cup

MLS teams surely take this cup as EPL teams take the Carling Cup...I watched the beginning of the Charleston/Houston match (but didn't catch lineups) and they said "Houston have left most of their established stars at home....if you don't play your reserves you never know what you have."

quote:Originally posted by Richard

This cup should be made the US qualifier for the CONCACAF Champions League, then maybe the MLS clubs would take it more seriously.

The US Open Cup winner does get a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

The other three spots go to MLS Cup winner, MLS Cup runner-up and MLS Supporters Shield winner.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The US Open Cup winner does get a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

The other three spots go to MLS Cup winner, MLS Cup runner-up and MLS Supporters Shield winner.

There should be more bias towards the US Open Cup, perhaps the top three clubs in the US Open Cup plus the MLS league champion or cup winner. That would focus the minds of the MLS teams competing in the Open Cup which is clearly what is needed to make the competition more meaningful which is the point I was trying to make.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Toronto would not.

TFC and MLS has never answered this very good question directly, but as I understand it, technically the spots belong to the USSF...not MLS. So, it appears only U.S. teams can qualify this way. TFC probably knows the exact answer to this, but I have a hunch the "No" answer might change if there was more than one Canadian team in MLS.

The USSF (IMO) doesn't give respect to its own US Open Cup. Looking at the way US teams qualified, it seemed a bit hand picked. I understand the MLS Cup winner and runner-up along with the MLS Supporter's Shield (MLS-SS) winners but why would the US Open Cup spot revert to the MLS-SS runner-up. The 2007 US Open Cup runner-up was FC Dallas. Am I wrong? If a spot is given to the competition then the spot needs to stay in that competition. Shame of the USSF! I hope the figure it out next season. GO CANADA GO!

Here's an interesting footnote to the Sounders drive for the U.S. Open Cup: technically, this team doesn't exist next season. The MLS Sounders are a completely new expansion team, and at the moment wouldn't be able to take the USL Sounders spot in the CCL next fall if they won the U.S. Open Cup. Their owner, Adrian Hanauer, is talking with the USSF to see if that can be changed.

http://www.soundersfc.com/article.aspx?id=1762

Archived