What the h*** was that? (R)

Tintin

That's the worst game I've ever seen Toronto play, including last year. It looked as if no one wanted to play together. No one had a good first touch. No one did anything at all. Other than the goal, which was well taken, there was nothing at all positive to say about that game.

Those awful Houston TV guys didn't really make it any better. How many times can you say "What will Kinnear do next game? Will he play DeRo up front again?"

Local broadcast so it's got that local slant to it. But yeah, was wondering about the commentators a bit there. They showed flashes of footie knowledge but blended those flashes with as much crap. Pretty sure they were dumbing it down, which is odd since I'd expect the average Houston fan to perhaps be a bit more knowledgeable/mature than most MLS fans if you follow me (latin influence, that sort of thing).

Not TFCs best night but that Gulf heat/humidity can be sapping if you're not used to it.

Great game from Onstad and a super goal by Cunningham. Too little too late but still, a very, very, nice goal.

It was nice to see De Ro get the toe poke he missed against Brazil.

Anybody catch the slag the Houston commentators directed at the CSA?

They got it wrong and called them the Canadian Soccer Federation but it was clear who they were talking about.

Tonights game would be a perfect example in my head why i hate Mojo's brand of soccer.

Piss poor technical play and a team that struggles to link three passes together. Other than for defensive purposes Carl Robinson is a worthless player.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I guess you missed the first game against DC this year?

[:P]

At least we can pretend we were decent in that game because we scored (luckily) on practically the only two chances we created the entire game.

It scares me that we keep scoring in situations like this because really if it had any relation to what we created we should have been shut out twice.

I hope we don't continue to bunker down and hope for a single goal each time.

quote:Originally posted by royalcity

It was nice to see De Ro get the toe poke he missed against Brazil.

Anybody catch the slag the Houston commentators directed at the CSA?

They got it wrong and called them the Canadian Soccer Federation but it was clear who they were talking about.

It wasn't the only name they got wrong - they kept referring to Jarrod Smith as "Brown" for reasons known only to them. Kind a sums up their knowledge of both TFC and Canadian soccer in general.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It wasn't the only name they got wrong - they kept referring to Jarrod Smith as "Brown" for reasons known only to them. Kind a sums up their knowledge of both TFC and Canadian soccer in general.

I heard that! I thought they were referring to a Dynamo defender or something. LOL.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

At least we can pretend we were decent in that game because we scored (luckily) on practically the only two chances we created the entire game.

It scares me that we keep scoring in situations like this because really if it had any relation to what we created we should have been shut out twice.

I hope we don't continue to bunker down and hope for a single goal each time.

The goals weren't lucky. The first was as perfect an overlap / cross / header as the club has ever achieved while the second was an inch perfect shot by Dichio from a nice short pass from Amado.

When does Armado get back? They are now back to beginning of the season form which does not bode well. I was impressed when they found a way to win without their big guns against LA (also short their big guns).

Problem is they rely on AG being the threat and other teams do pay a lot of attention to covering him (rightly so). Without the threat they play a lot more pressure and attack oriented game against Toronto and that rattles the second tier players a lot whereas AG expects it and deals with it effectively.

Colorado Rapids, Kansas City Wizards and the New England Revolution are the next 3. Hopefully they will snag 4 points out of those but they will have to play a whole lot better with or without their stars.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

The goals weren't lucky. The first was as perfect an overlap / cross / header as the club has ever achieved while the second was an inch perfect shot by Dichio from a nice short pass from Amado.

I'm talking about the 4-1 defeat in April, not the 3-2 defeat in May. You know, the game we were losing 2-0 after about 5 minutes.

The Houston commentators alluded to this last night but I hadn't seen this article until this morning:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/439433

Not sure it would have been fair to bench Sutton because he got called for international duty and it's not like Edwards did anything spectacular in the win over the Galaxy, they could have won that game with Mo Johnston playing goal. I think Carver needs to go with his best keeper, period, rather than keeping a starting line-up for the sake of it.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The Houston commentators alluded to this last night but I hadn't seen this article until this morning:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/439433

Not sure it would have been fair to bench Sutton because he got called for international duty and it's not like Edwards did anything spectacular in the win over the Galaxy, they could have won that game with Mo Johnston playing goal. I think Carver needs to go with his best keeper, period, rather than keeping a starting line-up for the sake of it.

Good thing we didn't sign anymore lazy Canadians to play in net! [:P]

The headline on Sportsnet says that Toronto FC was undermanned but upon checking it seemed to me that all of the starters(Dichio, Robert, Rickets, Robinson,etc.) played except Guevara. Did I miss someone or were Sportsnet being very kind ?

I agree with the subject of thread. I found myself telling my TV to "SHUT UP!". This guy loves De-Ro! Somebody had to clean up that booth after the game. Some commentators just need to listen to there own performance. I'm confused about the International call ups. I'm guessing it is going to be different for every player and every game. The WCQ in question was Honduras v. Puerto Rico. Both Guevara and Velez played. Velez returned to TFC (I'm guessing due to the red card) and Guevara didn't. AS I'm writing this I see that Honduras had a weekend friendly also. How common is this? 10 days between WCQ matches with a Friendly squeezed in. Ah if the CSA could only be so organized.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I guess you missed the first game against DC this year?

[:P]

or the game in New York last year. Or what about that game in Dallas last year. There has been a few doozies over the past year and half, especially the away games.

Regarding the game commentary. I had no problems with it. They are not local broadcaster, so what we got is as good as you will get. if you want to see bad, see they guys who did the LA galaxy game.

So, just to recap here, Smith has the most invisible performance by a Toronto player this season and the announcers are criticized?

My favourite MLS team put on a show last night.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

So, just to recap here, Smith has the most invisible performance by a Toronto player this season and the announcers are criticized?

Smith didn't play well and caused the second goal against. Still no excuse for the announcers calling him "Brown" the entire night.

Funny with Smith. He comes on as a sub and plays "lights out" for 3 or 4 games, even scores a goal, and earns himself three consecutive starts (or was it two?). Proceeds to be completely invisible to the point where I think Lombardo now deserves another shot.

My point was that we are not creating enough good chances, so we were lucky to get two good ones and actually finish them.

Our players aren't so talented that we can expect them to finish off the play every time. If that was the case we would have one last night on the few quality chances that Jeff Cunningham wasted.

My point was that we are not creating enough good chances, so we were lucky to get two good ones and actually finish them.

Our players aren't so talented that we can expect them to finish off the play every time. If that was the case we would have one last night on the few quality chances that Jeff Cunningham wasted.

Archived