How Much Does TFC Have to Lose?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Well of course...TFC is Canada's only "real" professional "footy" team <insert sarcasm here>

Could you find me a post somewhere where anyone has said that? Anyone. Anywhere.

This is a Kevin Harmse quote...

But, at the top end it isn't close...

True, but I don't know that anyone was disputing that, just thought maybe you were overstating your case on certain players.

Of course it is another matter if that "top end" actually plays, and if they do, whether the non-Canadian part of the top end they are properly motivated to do so.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

True, but I don't know that anyone was disputing that, just thought maybe you were overstating your case on certain players.

Of course it is another matter if that "top end" actually plays, and if they do, whether the non-Canadian part of the top end they are properly motivated to do so.

I suspect that with the CCL spot on the line, they will be motivated. I agree, however, that if this was just a tournament for a Canadian championship, that the majority of TFC's top players would sit/play limited minutes. And, in that case, the USL teams would more than stand a chance.

I for one think Montreal will beat Toronto. I don't know about Vancouver, but Montreal is really strong this year.

OK, fine.

Montreal:

Luis Aguilar– From NCAA, only played in USL

Pato Aguilera – Played 19 games in MLS before being cut

Dwight Barnett – Third round MLS draft pick, cut in training camp

Mauro Biello – career USLer

Adam Braz – Arguably TFCs worst senior player in 2007

Roberto Brown – Occasional Panama international. Briefly played in Europe after many years in Central America. Cut by Colorado mmid-way through 2007.

Leonardo Di Lorenzo – Trained with some impressive Argentine clubs, but didn’t find first team minutes. Came straight to USL from Argentina.

Simon Gatti – From NCAA, only played in USL

Charles Gbeke – Mostly played in the USL, with a year in Denmark, where his team was relegated from the top flight

Gabriel Gervais – One of Frank Yallop’s bizarre squad choices for 2004 WCQ. A career USLer

Joey Gjertsen –only played in the USL

Severino Jefferson – Came to USL after failing to stick in Italy, Greece and Switzerland. Trialed for top flight teams there, but saw limited, if any, first team minutes

Cédric Joqueviel – Last played in the CSL

Matt Jordan – First round MLS pick, played more than 100 games in league before leaving to go to Europe. Failed to stick overseas, and failed to stay in MLS upon return

Patrick Leduc – Career USLer

Sita-Taty Matondo – Part of Canadian youth set-up and capped once by full team. Mostly played USL professionally

Cristian Nunez – TFC cut

Matthew Palleschi – Failed to stick in Serie B, before returning to CSL.

Stefano Pesoli – From Serie C

Nevio Pizzolitto – career USLer

Antonio Ribeiro – career USLer

Alex Surprenant – From CSL

David Testo – career USLer

Andrew Weber – Was third string goalie at DCU prior to joining USL. Did not play a MLS game.

It's the only comparison available that pits USL teams against MLS teams in competitive matches. So, I fail to see how it isn't relevant. What is irrelevant is bringing up what country the clubs play in. They are in US leagues.

That tournament isn't even run the same. Single game eliminations that the MLS teams only have to start participating in near the end. Ones where it always seems that in the later rounds the USL team is always in the middle of a 3 games in 5 nights set of league matches when they schedule the game. Seems that it is skewed to favour the MLS teams so they don't get embarrassed. In the Canadian version all 3 teams will be treated the same.

Who cares where players have played, what levelthey played at, how many games at that level, blah blah blah. It's a team sport, and Toronto is a bad team. Now I have yet to see how Vancouver and Montreal are this season as they have not yet played, but right now I'm saying Toronto is a bad team. Regardless of who their players are and where they've played.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Who cares where players have played, what levelthey played at, how many games at that level, blah blah blah. It's a team sport, and Toronto is a bad team. Now I have yet to see how Vancouver and Montreal are this season as they have not yet played, but right now I'm saying Toronto is a bad team. Regardless of who their players are and where they've played.

As a team, Toronto will look very different by the time this competition starts.

Whether that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen.

That tournament isn't even run the same.

No $hit. Thing is, single elimination tournaments give the underdog a much greater chance than a round-robin does.

And, MLS teams have their own schedule issues to deal with. It's laughable to suggest that the cup is scheduled to assist MLS teams out of fear that they will be embarrassed by the big, bad USL. The truth is, MLS teams throw their reserves out half the time and the league has still managed to create 22 of the last 24 finalists and 11 of the last 12 winners.

For the record, MLS plays three rounds of its own qualifying to determine what eight teams enter the round of 16. The USL teams play two more rounds--not a lot different than any open cup, anywhere in the world...the top flight comes in late.

Since MLS started to participate in the tournament, Rochester is the only non_MLS team to have won a semi-final or better game in the event (about when the MLS teams start to play their starting players). The last win was in 1999, the year the Rhinos won. They also made the final two years before that.

So, of the 45 games played in the semis or finals since 1995, the USL has won three, all by the same team (and none in the last eight season). Actually, 35 of the 45 games have been all-MLS affairs, indicating that MLS is doing pretty well at the quarter-final stage, when the scrubs are pretty much on the pitch.

But, yes, I know...all of this is irrelevant. Clearly, the USL is right there with MLS in terms of quality. Evidence, smevidence.

If TFC plays its starters, it will take 10 points at minimum.

TFC should win this tournament. It won't be easy for them, but the USL teams will have three of four players that will be exploited by TFC on occasion, and it will be the difference of one or two goals as a result. Nick DeSantis will be doing himself a favour if he uses Charles Gbeke in these games a lot because he is big, strong, fast and very dangerous in the box. Vancouver are going to get spanked this year, if they hold firm it will be their defence that holds them together. They are a year older and not very athletic as a team, I think they will have problems this year.

quote:Originally posted by rick titus

TFC should win this tournament. It won't be easy for them, but the USL teams will have three of four players that will be exploited by TFC on occasion, and it will be the difference of one or two goals as a result.

you wouldnt be thinking of Adam Braz trying to stop Laurent Robert on Montreal's right side would you? :D

• 2 weeks later...

the way Amado Guevara has looked in 2 games with TFC, Montreal and Vancouver won't know what to do with him. And Rohan Ricketts was giving MLS defenders fits in his first game, plus Laurent Robert is making a big impact (pardon the pun) on MLS so far. Those three are far and way better than anyone on the two USL teams....

TFC's midfield is its strength, along with the wing play.

The five man midfield consists of a former French international (Robert), the current Honduran captain (Guevara), a rising US international (Edu), a Welsh international that has shared a midfield with Ryan Giggs (Robinson), and a former England U21 international (Ricketts).

Add to this the two fullbacks (a Canadian and American international) making overlapping runs, and that is where TFC will threaten all teams the most.

The USL sides will have more to prove, which is a huge motivating factor on its own. They also have the advantage of familiarity, although that may be negated by the time May 27 rolls around.

I can see Montreal coming out flying in the opening game, hoping to pot an early goal and force Toronto to open up even more than usual. Vancouver will likely try to soak up the pressure and steal a goal on the counter attack.

I can't see either of the USL side being able to handle the speed of Ricketts and Wynne, although our central defence is a glaring hole that an experienced forward like Gbeke may be able to exploit.

Of course, this is assuming Toronto takes the games seriously and plays all of its starters.

When this question first surfaced, it was just after the DCU game. To be honnest, I was starting to have my doubts. But my views have changed to pretty much what Rudi said. Also, given the extensive and lenghty pre season that the Impact have had, I would thought that they would have roared out of the gates. But it doesn't seem that way eben though they were on the road.

The fortunes of all 3 teams have changed around. Vancouver is complete crap.

That is one nice thing about having 3 pro teams in Canada. There should always be at least 1 decent side to cheer for in CONCACAF competitions. I hope. At least the odds of them all having bad seasons the same year is pretty slim.

If TFC can continue playing like this they will make the MLS playoffs and CCF comp.

What a difference a few players and weeks can make. Wow. It now looks like I will be eating my predictions (written on a very small piece of paper and washed down with lots of Big Rock!).

Looks like the Voyageurs Cup may have a new home this year. Besides Montreal needs to make room for Stanley's return (da Habs are due and no I'm not a Habs fan). It's that "at least once a decade thing".

Looking at Toronto's current roster and recent level of play, I'd say TFC's chances at taking the tourney by storm have dramatically increased. I never completely rule-out the underdogs in these sorts of competitions, but Toronto is looking phenomenal at the moment and I don't see them slowing down anytime soon.

quote:Originally posted by Canucks fan

you say this after one loss where the only goal conceded all year thus far was a pk?

No, I say this after two games. The first one they managed just one shot on goal at home against a team that has literally been on the road for months. Lucky for them, because the team they were playing had been on the road for this length of time, it went in and the Caps won. The second game the Caps managed to not only lose, but be shut out buy a team playing it's second game in 3 nights. The well rested home team is supposed to be taking advantage of teams on the road and scoring convincing wins against them, not being shut out by them. Minnesota is also not "quality" opposition.

Archived