World Cup Draw

nolando

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by rodfern2007

Easy there tiger. Look, I desparately want Canada to do well in soccer because the better it does the higher the sport's profile goes up. But we have to face facts and consider the possibility that Canada just isn't ready to compete with the big boys. Let's see what the next crop of u14, u16, u18 and u20 teams produce. Hopefully, our luck will change and we might just uncover the first great Canadian superstar who will lead us out of the wilderness and into the promised land. But until that happens, ..., take it easy.

No offence rod, that's just my sense of humour. it's all in good fun...hope you didn't get offended.

But I must admit it's a big pet peeve of mine watching how low the expectations place on the Canadian national team can get. That's what years of failure will do...and it needs to be undone permanently.

I should clarify what I meant, jpg75. It's fairly easy compared to some other groups we could see, but the tremendous balance in that group scares me for some reason. Any 2 teams from that group could conceivably advance. That's not neccesarily a bad thing, it just makes me nervous.[:o)]

As you said, having Haiti in our group would preclude Jamaica or Guatemala, but at this point I would almost put Haiti on an equal footing with Guatemala.

I don't relish the thought of playing Honduras. They're my pick for the third automatic spot at the moment, if Costa Rica falters.

Having thought about those 4 Pot C teams a bit more, I agree with your G.O.D. assessment. That group will give me nightmares 'til Sunday (and hopefully not past that point)[xx(].

I honestly dont see how any of you guys are confident seeing Canada grouped with the likes of T&T, Jamaica, or even El Salvador away. I see names like Panama and Cuba and Haiti in even hypothetical groups and start getting a bad feeling. And for good reason. I am of course hoping that Canada goes all the way to South Africa - make no mistake about it. But walking down the street with my Canada jersey on, chin high, knowing full well that we could walk all over any CONCACAF countries apart from maybe Mexico and the US? - I wish I was smoking whatever you guys were smoking.

I also can't help but regret that we were playing (and losing against) South Africa's B Team, instead of playing in a three or four team tournament in Miami or somewhere involving the likes of Honduras, Jamaica, Guatemala, El Salvador, etc. They all played each other this past weekend and got to know their CONCACAF rivals even better, experiencing the crowds and the officiating that is typical in our zone, and we were farting around on the other side of the globe playing against a team that we have little realistic chance of facing ever again. Even their style football is unlikely to be seen by a Canadian side anytime soon. Couldn't we have bought a game with the States and at least played somebody from our region? South Africa played twice - couldn't Canada and the States have done it too? And who is next? Iceland. I like seeing these games scheduled in a kind of curious sort of way, like I used to like playing football manager just to see how two sides might actually fare against each other, but seriously, why aren't we preparing for our real competition, especially that mid-ranked CONCACAF competition that we have had so much trouble overcoming in the past few cycles of WCQ?

(sorry for the slightly off-topic rant)

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

No offence rod, that's just my sense of humour. it's all in good fun...hope you didn't get offended.

But I must admit it's a big pet peeve of mine watching how low the expectations place on the Canadian national team can get. That's what years of failure will do...and it needs to be undone permanently.

None taken. That was actually pretty funny. And concerning undoing years of failure, I totally agree with you. And if it doesn't start with this current squad, then it must start with the next generation. And its up to all of us to make sure that it happens, by putting pressure on the governing body to get it done right, to hold them accountable. We will no longer accept excuses and acceptance of mediocraty.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

None taken. That was actually pretty funny. And concerning undoing years of failure, I totally agree with you. And if it doesn't start with this current squad, then it must start with the next generation. And its up to all of us to make sure that it happens, by putting pressure on the governing body to get it done right, to hold them accountable. We will no longer accept excuses and acceptance of mediocraty.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

This article states that the draw will be broadcast on the fifa site:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminarydraw/news/newsid=643663.html#follow+draw+with+fifa

"PLUS - the Preliminary Draw will be streamed live in the following territories: Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine"

This is also from FIFA.com I thinks this suggests that groups of little blobal interest like CONCACAF will NOT be shown on the main broadcast. Can you imagine an hour of, "Next it's Panama vs..........The British Virgin Islands?" I would watch it all but guys like us must be in the minority. Since neither Canada nor Japan are in the list, then it doent look like I will see Canada's name drawn on Sunday.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

"PLUS - the Preliminary Draw will be streamed live in the following territories: Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine"

This is also from FIFA.com I thinks this suggests that groups of little blobal interest like CONCACAF will NOT be shown on the main broadcast. Can you imagine an hour of, "Next it's Panama vs..........The British Virgin Islands?" I would watch it all but guys like us must be in the minority. Since neither Canada nor Japan are in the list, then it doent look like I will see Canada's name drawn on Sunday.

You're misreading it.

The entire draw will be webcast in the countries listed above. However, we will not be able to watch that webcast in Canada (or Japan).

But, I'm sure that we can find a proxie/sopcast stream.

Oh god ... this is when you know maybe your football obsession has gone a little bit far. Getting up at 7:00 AM on a weekend to watch little balls be drawn from bowls. Only a right nutter would want to spend their morning doing that. So I guess I'll see you guys here half an hour before so we can discuss what is the best way to watch the draw? ;)

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Oh god ... this is when you know maybe your football obsession has gone a little bit far. Getting up at 7:00 AM on a weekend to watch little balls be drawn from bowls. Only a right nutter would want to spend their morning doing that. So I guess I'll see you guys here half an hour before so we can discuss what is the best way to watch the draw? ;)

Sadly, you will.

Hell, maybe I'll stay up all night doing mock draws.

Sleep??? On the night before Jack Warner rigs another WCQ draw?

Nah, I'll probably spend the night playing various soccer sims, winning a few dozen WCs with Canada...

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Sleep??? On the night before Jack Warner rigs another WCQ draw?

Nah, I'll probably spend the night playing various soccer sims, winning a few dozen WCs with Canada...

What...and miss all that NB nightlife!

(I can make that joke, having lived in Fredericton for close to five years...)

Seriously though. Tomorrow's a big day, eh...I'm a little nervous.

But, if we can't beat Honduras, we simply don't deserve to go. That's what I tell myself anyway.

I'm still hoping Canada to be drawn into an otherwise all Caribbean semi-final group, created after the Caymans take down Mexico in a shocker.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

The long and short of it is that in about twelve hours, Canada will officially back in the running for eventual qualification to the World Cup, right? It's been a long time coming.

Pretty much, yeah.

For S&Gs:

Three mock draws -

Mex, T&T, Guate, Cuba

CR, Pan, Jam, Guyana

USA, Hond, Haiti, Canada

CR, T&T, Canada, Cuba

Mex, Pan, Haiti, Guyana

USA, Hond, Guate, Jam

CR, Pan, Canada, Jam

Mex, T&T, Guate, Guyana

USA, Hond, Cuba, Haiti

The only real use to doing mock draws is that it gives you a better idea of what you are hoping for. Basically, I like our chances to get a better draw this time than we did in '06, simply because T&T seems weaker and Panama, although solid, doesn't seem unbeatable. Avoiding Honduras makes us, at the least, co-favourates to get out of any group, IMO.

Personally, I'd be ecstatic if we drew that third group. We'd have no excuse not to advance from a CR, Pan, Jam, Canada group....

12-hours, eh?

I like #2 better. Remember Galindo (I think thats his name) defected from Cuba after the gold cup. Hes tearing it up on some MLS team now. They also lost 2-3 others in 2005. Lester More was one of them, he was/is a solid Cuban striker. I wouldnt mind getting Cuba in a group. Then with all the problems T&T had with their first team.....

ok, a couple of hours to go.

From FIFA.com I get the impression the CONCACAF draw goes first (is that correct)?

Fingers and toes crossed.... NO HONDURAS IN CANADA'S GROUP!!!

Maybe I am completely missing something, but they are not announcing the groups of four for CONCACAF, are they?

"All Concacaf's 35 members have entered four stages of qualifying, the first two of which will be played on a knockout basis."

Doesnt this lead anyone else to believe that Canada will have one or maybe two (home and away?)knockout matchups, similar to the Belize situation four years ago? Why is everyone talking like we will know who we are playing in the first group of four? Is that a prediction based on probable winners of possible knockout matchups? I am seriously confused at this point!?!?

Archived