Media Committee: Call for Volunteers

CanadasBest

It's come to my attention that I have been nominated a couple of times. I think I might be interested in helping out on the writing side as it is part of what I do for a living. I don't know that I would have the time to be the primary media contact though I might be willing to help there as well, as I have had experience (though have never seen or heard how it has turned out because it's always been for a foreign broadcasting team). My main concern is being that I may not want to help draft a document advocating something I don't believe in. There is a suggestion that there is a two-thirds majority vote in the committee to resolve differences of opinion on what goes into the release, but what happens if you don't think there should be a release at all advocating that particular issue? That is something I would like clarified.

Other thoughts (and I realize there is a trial period) - I think increasing the size of the committee might help, as that sounds like a lot of work for three people to do.

Also we would need to figure out who deems it necessary to send a release. There could be a lot of work for the people involved if suddenly people are deciding that we need a release on something every second day.

Also, more people on the committee would mean more people able to help out with interviewing players & coaches, particularly if Canada plays across the country (as it should).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Can't remember how many years it's been, but I'm already holding a position as Treasurer (Yes, our remaining $900.00 is safe and sound).

I will respectfully decline the media position for a number of reasons, as I am currently inundated with various commitments.

How about Rudi ? Has he accepted his nomination ?

I just saw this now.

Like Gian-Luca, I'd be willing to help on the writing side of things. Thanks for the nomination, WF.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It's come to my attention that I have been nominated a couple of times. I think I might be interested in helping out on the writing side as it is part of what I do for a living. I don't know that I would have the time to be the primary media contact though I might be willing to help there as well, as I have had experience (though have never seen or heard how it has turned out because it's always been for a foreign broadcasting team). My main concern is being that I may not want to help draft a document advocating something I don't believe in. There is a suggestion that there is a two-thirds majority vote in the committee to resolve differences of opinion on what goes into the release, but what happens if you don't think there should be a release at all advocating that particular issue? That is something I would like clarified.

Other thoughts (and I realize there is a trial period) - I think increasing the size of the committee might help, as that sounds like a lot of work for three people to do.

Also we would need to figure out who deems it necessary to send a release. There could be a lot of work for the people involved if suddenly people are deciding that we need a release on something every second day.

Also, more people on the committee would mean more people able to help out with interviewing players & coaches, particularly if Canada plays across the country (as it should).

Some good questions here:

- My intentions were that the decision to make a release rests entirely with the Voyageurs as a whole and not just the committee. I think if you look at what's been attempted so far there have been an overwhelming majority of V's wanting a release.

- With regards to having 3 people. When I wrote the proposal I felt that 3 people were easier to work with in a committee in terms of writing a press release. There is safety too in having a larger committee, but the problem becomes running it. Writing the proposal I felt a 3 person committee is still workable, while retaining a decent level of security.

- Workload would really depend on the situation. As I mentioned in a previous post it would be great if we had a competent association running soccer in our country. We might never have to write another press release again. However that being said in the next 60 days we have:

--- Women's World Cup

--- Costa Rica Game at BMO Field

--- CSA electing a new president in October

- We can dump the interviewing of players etc. if needed. I threw that in there as I figured it would be nice to have a monthly feature or something where we could do a question and answer sort of thing with a featured player. Most likely this would involve dealing through the CSA or a players home club.

- An Observer also brings up a good point about choosing this committee. We have no membership except for the roll call of people registered to this forum. If we say opened up a vote to anyone registered to this forum, chances are those who call themselves V's would be outnumbered by those who don't by at least a 2-1 margin. There are many people registered and read this board that do not post or wish to take any active participation in this group.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I just saw this now.

Like Gian-Luca, I'd be willing to help on the writing side of things. Thanks for the nomination, WF.

You would be a excellent choice as would GL. No one has mentioned Daniel. Where is he these days? Much like you, he has backgound in commmunications plus he bilingual.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

You would be a excellent choice as would GL. No one has mentioned Daniel. Where is he these days? Much like you, he has backgound in commmunications plus he bilingual.

I sent a PM to Daniel last night, have not seen a reply yet.

There were two individuals nominated that do not have PM ability through this site. Sean Keay and The Beaver.

I've received a few replies from individuals via e-mail. I will update my original post accordingly.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Thanks for the nomination, but I'd have to withdraw. I do not know

enough of the inner workings of the CSA to comment about them, and

I would feel more comfortable if someone in the "committee" (eg.

ted, dbailey, winnipeg fury, coach rich, and a few media types) would

have that background.

I second dbailey and winnipeg fury's nominations. (Sorry coach rich I don't really know you yet.)

After a note from Geoff and giving it some thought I think I will have to decline the nomination with thanks for the confidence. There are more than enough better qualified nominations already and I will always be willing to edit/proof copy if needed and contribute/comment if items need to be approved by the general membership.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Hey, just noticed....

I was just wondering who nominated me?

Im not sure at the moment what to think of all this, but i will look into it and see how i feel.

But if it involved sticking pitchforks up the csa's asses, im prolly in :)

You came to me in a vision. lol

Seriously though, a couple of people sent me PM's regarding some good candidates. You and Vancouver Fan were two people that came up that had not been nominated in this forum. (Forgive me if I missed anyone else)

2 people brought your name forward and had some really nice things to say.

Forgive my ignorance on this, but what exactly are the duties/responsibilities of the media committee?

I appreciate the nomination, and if I feel that I am a good candidate for one of the respective roles, I will take the post with honour should it be given to me. And, even if there isn't a role for me to play on the committee, I offer my services to the cause all the same. I am an excellent writer and editor--it is what I do professionally--and am a solid strategic thinker, organizer and planner. Let me know how I can help.

Two quick things regarding the committee: I think our Media Officer should be situated in the TO area, with an assistant in Montreal and another in the west, preferably--though not exclusively--in Vancouver. At least one of the committee members MUST be fluently bilingual, and if the Media Officer is the sole individual SPEAKING to the media (on tv, radio or webcast), then that individual must be bilingual. (I am NOT bilingual, by the way.)

We've a good many strong individuals on this board, and I'm confident we will elect an excellent committee. If Beaches was around, I'd nominate him. Sad to see that Gordon has opted out, as he has a tonne to offer. Richard also has a tonne to offer: he's professional, writes well, is rational and intelligent. VancouverFan might be quiet in some respects, but I like what he has to offer and know he'd be a sage addition to the committee. And I like the other nominees here, too. For those who have declined their nominations, I wonder if there are other roles each of you would rather play in the future.

So, please tell me what are the roles of each media committee member, and I'll indicate whether I'll properly be able to accept the nomination.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'm assuming that's directed at GL and not me :D

Damn, I should never have written that phrase in the first place.

To be clear, we don't need the third rate Italian-Canadians running the show, we need the First Rate Canadian-Italians, the cream of the crop etc. We need excellent people--no matter their ethnic backgrounds, of course--to run things.

And we need to make sure we (ie. The Beaver) use the appropriate emoticons when posting ironic or facetious phrases. ;)

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Forgive my ignorance on this, but what exactly are the duties/responsibilities of the media committee?

I appreciate the nomination, and if I feel that I am a good candidate for one of the respective roles, I will take the post with honour should it be given to me. And, even if there isn't a role for me to play on the committee, I offer my services to the cause all the same. I am an excellent writer and editor--it is what I do professionally--and am a solid strategic thinker, organizer and planner. Let me know how I can help.

Two quick things regarding the committee: I think our Media Officer should be situated in the TO area, with an assistant in Montreal and another in the west, preferably--though not exclusively--in Vancouver. At least one of the committee members MUST be fluently bilingual, and if the Media Officer is the sole individual SPEAKING to the media (on tv, radio or webcast), then that individual must be bilingual. (I am NOT bilingual, by the way.)

We've a good many strong individuals on this board, and I'm confident we will elect an excellent committee. If Beaches was around, I'd nominate him. Sad to see that Gordon has opted out, as he has a tonne to offer. Richard also has a tonne to offer: he's professional, writes well, is rational and intelligent. VancouverFan might be quiet in some respects, but I like what he has to offer and know he'd be a sage addition to the committee. And I like the other nominees here, too. For those who have declined their nominations, I wonder if there are other roles each of you would rather play in the future.

So, please tell me what are the roles of each media committee member, and I'll indicate whether I'll properly be able to accept the nomination.

I'll include the hyperlink below as link to the original topic posted in the Voyageurs Forum. The positions have a brief outline, and is one reason to have this committee set for a trial run until October 31st 07. I find it challenging to write a job description for these positions.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13490

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

- An Observer also brings up a good point about choosing this committee. We have no membership except for the roll call of people registered to this forum. If we say opened up a vote to anyone registered to this forum, chances are those who call themselves V's would be outnumbered by those who don't by at least a 2-1 margin. There are many people registered and read this board that do not post or wish to take any active participation in this group.

This is why I think Free Kick's idea is a good one, that the people involved should be people that many others have actually met in person.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

This is why I think Free Kick's idea is a good one, that the people involved should be people that many others have actually met in person.

So I take it there's not much point in my nominating Luis Rancagua then? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Although I suppose that I've met so few of you that I may just be a figment of someone's imagination as well...

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Damn, I should never have written that phrase in the first place.

To be clear, we don't need the third rate Italian-Canadians running the show, we need the First Rate Canadian-Italians, the cream of the crop etc. We need excellent people--no matter their ethnic backgrounds, of course--to run things.

And we need to make sure we (ie. The Beaver) use the appropriate emoticons when posting ironic or facetious phrases. ;)

Oh hey man no worries I was just teasing GL and FK because I actually know them, it's not a dig at your comment.

I have been contacted by Davyd who is the producer of a football segment on YorkU radio in Toronto. He is interested in doing an interview with someone from the V's regarding the Canadian National Team and the upcoming game in Toronto. Also up for discussion is the state of soccer in Canada and the upcoming protest.

He would like to set up an interview with the host via phone either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday this week, and expects it to take about 20 minutes or so.

Edit: The segment is to be aired Monday

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I have been contacted by Davyd who is the producer of a football segment on YorkU radio in Toronto. He is interested in doing an interview with someone from the V's regarding the Canadian National Team and the upcoming game in Toronto. Also up for discussion is the state of soccer in Canada and the upcoming protest.

He would like to set up an interview with the host via phone either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday this week, and expects it to take about 20 minutes or so.

Edit: The segment is to be aired Monday

Well this is the sort of thing I might normally feel comfortable in doing & volunteer for. But if the protest is one of the items on the agenda somebody who believes in the black t-shirt thing a bit more than I do would be a better choice.

I'm not sure at the moment.I'm leaving for Europe in a few hours and probably will not be on the board much. I'm an average writer and I'm not that good in front of a camera. I'd love to help in any way else.

I would like to see a more unified Voyageur group though. I'd like to see more respect shown to one another. Healthy debate is great but sometimes it does get so personal around here. Whatever we do lets keep it positive and keep egos out of it. If we're gonna go after the CSA we cannot act like them.

I'm all in favor of everyone that has been nominated so far.

Good luck.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'd be willing to participate as a Montreal correspondent and a link to the French media (for interviews, etc.), but I don't feel I can invest too much time in doing things like a lot of translation or contacting media.

Loyola suggested via e-mail he was willing to help with any french translation but not to deal with the media directly.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'd be willing to participate as a Montreal correspondent and a link to the French media (for interviews, etc.), but I don't feel I can invest too much time in doing things like a lot of translation or contacting media.

Daniel, Noel Butler from Team990's "Oranges" show is looking for a Voyageurs rep to speak on the CSA issues and other issues pertaining to Canadian soccer. Is this something you are willing to do? I don't imagine it would take up a lot of time and it won't require more than just going on air, likely by phone, to share the views of the Voyageurs.

I think it prudent that I remove my name from the list of nominees at this time. I will continue to offer my writing/editing skills to the cause, and with decent notice will turn around in an evening any editing job that requires attention. My time is a bit thin right now--a second baby is on the way, I've just been promoted, and I've still the Great Canadian Novel to complete (start)--but I am confident I can knock off editing for the odd web-article on this site or for press releases from time to time. Cheeta can let you know--as Lord Arbiter--if I am worth my words. (And don't blow sunshine up my ass if you think I'm a hack, Mr. Cheeta. I can handle it.)

Archived