Media Committee: Call for Volunteers

CanadasBest

Have been giving this some good thought, and I think for the time being I'd like to turn my energies toward the website, and to that end would love to discuss some ideas with the Masters of our Website, in particular to hear their vision and to learn what limitations and possibilities exist.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Daniel, Noel Butler from Team990's "Oranges" show is looking for a Voyageurs rep to speak on the CSA issues and other issues pertaining to Canadian soccer. Is this something you are willing to do? I don't imagine it would take up a lot of time and it won't require more than just going on air, likely by phone, to share the views of the Voyageurs.

Depending on when and how long, I could swing it.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Cheeta can let you know--as Lord Arbiter--if I am worth my words. (And don't blow sunshine up my ass if you think I'm a hack, Mr. Cheeta. I can handle it.)

Ha, I am quite sure you do not suffer with a thin skin. Quite the opposite. Being an editor by trade and a long term Voyageur by pleasure I have no doubts the two have combined to give you a wicked, if not grotesquely, thick hide.

Well, better a freakishly thick hide that an abnormaly thick head.

And being proud to have accended to the working ranks of "blue-collar" I lack the necessary politic to be able to blow smoke up anyones ass. I leave that skill to the next generation of Cheeta cubs with their less caloused hands but gladly keep my factory-floor language and "sensitities" near and dear. I call 'em like I see 'em.

And I think The Beaver is going to be an excellent addition to this website and I hope everyone does their very best to harness his talents, keep him busy, and overwhelm him in useful endevours.

Only a bit off topic</u>...

It's very good to finaly see so many long term Voyageurs wanting to become involved. That's been a very real problem around here for too long a time. We've all wanted more for this "little club" of ours but have either been unable or afraid to commit to the various projects and responsabilities to make those improvements happen. A few people have commited far too much time and aggrivation keeping this gig rolling and that can't go on forever.

Seriously. The day Cheeta has to be press ganged into a moderator we all KNEW things were getting REALLY bad. (Feared it was just a matter of time before the site disolved and we'd all have to migrate to BigSoccer or something).

Very glad to see this evolution. Take things on lads, the worse you'll do is stumble along a bit (at first) and piss a few people off.

So in other words just another regular day at www.canadian-soccer.com/forum.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I have been contacted by Davyd who is the producer of a football segment on YorkU radio in Toronto. He is interested in doing an interview with someone from the V's regarding the Canadian National Team and the upcoming game in Toronto. Also up for discussion is the state of soccer in Canada and the upcoming protest.

He would like to set up an interview with the host via phone either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday this week, and expects it to take about 20 minutes or so.

Edit: The segment is to be aired Monday

Has anyone volunteered to do this interview. We need to take advantage of any and all opportunities to voice our discontent, even if it is only University Radio.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Has anyone volunteered to do this interview. We need to take advantage of any and all opportunities to voice our discontent, even if it is only University Radio.

I will take care of this one myself tomorrow. If we hold off any longer it would have been put off until next week. I'd rather get some free advertising for the game beforehand, than be interviewed after the fact.

Edit: I'm speaking on behalf of myself and not the V's.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Wouldn't what your will be saying carry far more weight if you did speak on behalf of the Vs. What possible thing could you be saying that is contrary to how the Vs feel in general. As far as I am concerned, you got my support 100%.

Right, you let them say you are "with" the Voyageurs or "active" in the group, and then state your own views, saying "I think..." or "What I'd like to see". That is what works best with us, don't try to be our spokesperson, be natural and speak as the average hard-core fan. Be a person who speaks for himself but happens to be associated with other like-minded people.

And the key is always to retain passion for the game, optimism for the team and our players, and a bit of a critical take on the structures around the players impeding them from doing as best they can (like saying "we need more friendlies, this one is not enough"), that sort of thing.

gwallace, I agree with Jeffrey and The Ref. I have no problem having you state that you are an active V. Go so far as to state the basic views that everyone agrees with:

A) CSA reform is critical

B) New models for elite player development are critically needed to ensure future success for the National team programs

c) we would like to see changes to the way the CSA board is structured and elected so that the provinces have relatively less authority and influence over the affairs of the national programs. the CSA most have more autonomy and not be sidetracked by various provincial agendas. Lastly, the CSA must be "professionalized" and must develop an accountability system so that it operates more out in the open

I think its fair to say that 99% of us agree with those basic views. Of course, there are loads of other opinions and recommendations but they tend to all be off shoots of these basic ideas. If I'm wrong, let me know or edit it.

Good to see you guys getting mobilized. I was "Scott Ferguson" on the old boards, I've since gotten involved with some print/online media (Soccer 360 - Canadian mag getting better with each issue; and TFC stories for americansoccernews.net) and I'd love to help out any way I can, whether its drafting documents, proofreading or anything thats needed.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

This is very frustrating, as I have expressed lately, as it means sometimes people with knowledge and professional experience have to cede before people who don't have a clue, people in their teens maybe with no experience. I personally think it means we are forced down to the lowest common denominator at times, but that is a consequence of acting democratically, as Ortega y Gasset wrote. you can see this with the designs for the black t-shirts, anyone who has any design knowledge will be sick to their stomach. But since the Voyageurs is structured that way, with no hierarchies and no seniority, it is the only way to go. Sometimes we represent ourselves in a truly crappy way.

The above paragraph is a perfect illustration of why Jeffrey would be a God-awful representative. When he disagrees, he doesn't just disagree. He pompously suggests that those that are pushing for something he doesn't want are stupid/childish/teenagers/etc.

The Vs don't need a media committee. That's putting the cart before the horse. What you need is a small leadership committee. A media volunteer would take orders based on the decisions made by that small group (2-3 people that would try to build a consensus, but would ultimately make a final decision--in short, they would lead).

I disagree MediaGuy.

As a strong proponent of getting ourselves organized, gwallace's model is the best oprion for the group right now. It gives those of us that want more visibility the chance to get it, while still catering to those who aren't gung-ho on us being an official organization.

Regardless of the difference of opinion and personalities among the longest-serving V's, they're the ones that got this thing off the ground in the first place and should be respected for that.

quote:Originally posted by River City

Regardless of the difference of opinion and personalities among the longest-serving V's, they're the ones that got this thing off the ground in the first place and should be respected for that.

I agree, which is why I think all official opinion should defer to them.

The media flack should be just that--a flack that does what he or she is told.

But, that's just my opinion. As I've stated, the "originals" should be the ones that decide how they what things to shake out.

For the record, as I've already stated, the Black Wednesday protest is making no claims of association with the Vs.

Archived