Toronto vs. Dallas (R)

Gian-Luca

Didn't see a match thread for this so.....

TFC 4, Dallas 0.

Scorers - Edu, Dichio, Robinson, Cunningham.

Djekanovic gets the shut out. No spectacular saves made but was solid positionally-speaking & did what was needed. Three other Canadians played, Brennan went the whole 90, Lombardo started the 2nd half & Gabe Gala came on mid-way through the 2nd half.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Didn't see a match thread for this so.....

TFC 4, Dallas 0.

Scorers - Edu, Dichio, Robinson, Cunningham.

Djekanovic gets the shut out. No spectacular saves made but was solid positionally-speaking & did what was needed. Three other Canadians played, Brennan went the whole 90, Lombardo started the 2nd half & Gabe Gala came on mid-way through the 2nd half.

How many breakaway chances has Cunningham now missed this season? Good for him for getting the late goal, though.

Guest Jeffery S.

Stopping a breakaway at point blank is a good save in more people's books G-L.

Thing is TO was already so far ahead that noone would have worried if it had gone in. But if the game had been tighter noone would be saying that was not a crucial save.

Srdjan has his defence in order, sets the walls right, is confident coming out high on corners, will come out of the box if needed to cut off a play. He is doing good.

TO is organized at the back, but really the attack is ugly if effective. How hard is it to pass onto someone's foot? Lombardo, in this sense, does not look like he has spent any time in Italy at all, kind of disappointing. Cunningham is playing at 70%, would be nice to see him pick it up a bit. Robinson, in my view, is a rather mediocre player too. Not too pretty up there, but hey, four goals against a Dallas with tendency to be too tempermental and self-destruct.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Stopping a breakaway at point blank is a good save in more people's books G-L.

Did I say it wasn't? I said no "spectacular saves", that doesn't mean he wasn't good or didn't make any good ones. He gave a solid performance.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Richard

I think Cunningham has failed to live up to his billing and Mo should look at trading him. Can't blame getting used to the artificial turf any more.

You get a feeling Cunningham is not hungry. Or maybe, the way they celebrated his goal, he was in a rut, they celebrated as if he'd broken an evil spell. Hope he gets a taste for blood, he has so many chances.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

You get a feeling Cunningham is not hungry. Or maybe, the way they celebrated his goal, he was in a rut, they celebrated as if he'd broken an evil spell. Hope he gets a taste for blood, he has so many chances.

what are u guys talking about.sure he has missed a few chances.

but since we got him he has totally opened up the offence for tfc.

he got a goal today hit the crossbar set up lombardo with a sitter.

did we win 4 nil or lose 4 nil,what a bunch of whiners!!!

My second game

took a while to get back from the game. great, atmosphere was grand. The keeper held his ground well. The defense helped him out on pass backs(not like the national team) IF they keep this up they may get a playoff birth.

two questions remain.

Does the stadium place soil or dirt on the pitch to get that dust to kick up?

and where can I find the words to some of the chants. in sect 221 it was hard to tell some times what was being sung.

THIS IS OUR HOUSE was clear

LET'S ALL STAND UP. also clear

TFC with claps

TO with claps

here's where it got dogie

WHO ARE YOU! chanted at the opposition on a card.

ALLER or O'LES chanted in rythem (french for 'to go'

it also could be (spelling my fault) jouer aller (to go and play)

Originally posted by Richard

I think Cunningham has failed to live up to his billing and Mo should look at trading him. Can't blame getting used to the artificial turf any more.

[/quote

i think you are smoking the mushrooms out there in bc!!!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by cndsoccer

did we win 4 nil or lose 4 nil,what a bunch of winers!!!

Winer? Not me, prefer beer.

It was an easy win, Cunningham could make it even easier. The road trip is going to be the true test, need at least a third of points out of that.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by cndsoccer

did we win 4 nil or lose 4 nil,what a bunch of winers!!!

Winer? Not me, prefer beer.

It was an easy win, Cunningham could make it even easier. The road trip is going to be the true test, need at least a third of points out of that.

quote:Originally posted by Niagara Hammer

My second game

took a while to get back from the game. great, atmosphere was grand. The keeper held his ground well. The defense helped him out on pass backs(not like the national team) IF they keep this up they may get a playoff birth.

two questions remain.

Does the stadium place soil or dirt on the pitch to get that dust to kick up?

and where can I find the words to some of the chants. in sect 221 it was hard to tell some times what was being sung.

THIS IS OUR HOUSE was clear

LET'S ALL STAND UP. also clear

TFC with claps

TO with claps

here's where it got dogie

WHO ARE YOU! chanted at the opposition on a card.

ALLER or O'LES chanted in rythem (french for 'to go'

it also could be (spelling my fault) jouer aller (to go and play)

What you describe as dust is the loose ground rubber pellets that form part of the FieldTurf composite surface. Kicks up a bit like dirt/dust at times but there is no soil or dirt anywhere near that surface :-)

Cunningham has filled a huge hole that TFC had for most of the season: A forward that can create his own chances.

Dichio is a great target man, but he is not going to dribble through 2 or 3 defenders and create his own chance. Cunningham also gives TFC a speedy forward for a quick counter.

And don't forget that he draws the attention of the opposing defence, meaning there is more space for other TFC players.

quote:Originally posted by AvroArrow

Cunningham has filled a huge hole that TFC had for most of the season: A forward that can create his own chances.

Dichio is a great target man, but he is not going to dribble through 2 or 3 defenders and create his own chance. Cunningham also gives TFC a speedy forward for a quick counter.

And don't forget that he draws the attention of the opposing defence, meaning there is more space for other TFC players.

Precisely. Trading Cunningham would be disastrous for TFC's offence, as he brings a completely different dimension to the attack.

Yes, he has frustrated the hell out of me on not scoring what should be incredibly easy goal, but he has also created chances for others, and Dichio has benefitted tremendously from his presence.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Precisely. Trading Cunningham would be disastrous for TFC's offence, as he brings a completely different dimension to the attack.

Yes, he has frustrated the hell out of me on not scoring what should be incredibly easy goal, but he has also created chances for others, and Dichio has benefitted tremendously from his presence.

I agree with both of the above posts.

Cunningham was the top scorer in MLS last year! Anyone who wants to ditch him is nuts. You can't get anyone better without signing a DP.

Yes, Cunningham needs alot of chances to score, but you have to realize that it is his speed and skill that gives him so many chances. It is not like the same number of chances would have been there for any other striker - he creates alot of them himself.

The criticism of Cunningham reminds me of the criticism that has been made of Andy Cole ("always needs five chances to score a goal") and Inghagi (Sir Alex Ferguson: "Inzhagi was born offside"). Like these two, Cunningham appears to blow alot of opportunities, but when it is all said and done, he scores alot of goals.

When Djekanovic went down hurt late in the game, it was Reynolds warming up on the sidelines.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Who backed up Djekanovic on Saturday? The MLS official report says Sutton:

http://web.mlsnet.com/scoreboard/game.jsp?match=06172007_DALTOR

This is weird since I believe Craig and Mitch on CBC said that Sutton was still with the Nats and that Sam Reynolds was once again borrowed from Chivas USA.

Can anybody who was at the game clear up this confusion?

Nice article by Garth Woolsey in the Star - but I notice he still can't get away from a couple of negative digs (must be a requirement for all Star articles - right John?).

... against tough (allegedly) FC Dallas ...

(C'mon, Garth! Most points in the MLS! Admittedly they've played more games than the other leading clubs but if they don't qualify as 'tough' opposition, who does?)

... Toronto FC left a record (allegedly) turnout on a 4-0 high ...

(I assume this is based on ticket sales - and don't all North American sports do this?)

No place like home for TFC

Garth Woolsey

Be it sports or theatre, a good read or a fine meal, the rule of thumb is this: Leave them satisfied, but wanting a repeat, more of the same.

Faced with a six-week road trip following yesterday's game against tough (allegedly) FC Dallas, Toronto FC left a record (allegedly) turnout on a 4-0 high.

Six weeks can be an eternity in sports: Beating FC Dallas 4-nil is no mean feat but one that seemed impossible when Toronto got off to its 0-4 start with successive losses of 2-0, 4-0, 3-0, 1-0.

The Big Mo (momentum) is now on Toronto's side, as is, as always, Trader Mo, a.k.a. Mo Johnston, the franchise face, head coach, general manager and combustive maker of trades that alter the lineup more or less weekly. The one he fielded yesterday was missing several potential starters and the one that next plays at the We Shake By The Lake will almost certainly be reshaped, too.

That is due in part to the fact that the home team is now off on an extended road trip, thanks to their stadium being used for the FIFA Under-20 championship. Six weeks from now, anything is possible, but recent form suggests that Mo and his mates are ahead of the curve that normally afflicts expansion teams.

Soccer is a sport especially governed by the old home-field advantage. It is not unusual for teams to be next to unbeatable at home but mediocre on the road. It is why home teams have so often won the World Cup – Uruguay in 1930, Italy in 1934, England in 1966, Germany in 1974, Argentina in 1978 and France in 1998.

Toronto is now 4-3-0 at home, 0-3-1 on the road. Those are indisputable numbers, unlike the attendance ones – if there were really 20,156 there yesterday, some had to be disguised as several hundred empty seats. Not that those who showed up didn't enjoy themselves, as usual, or were not appreciated by the home team.

Toronto's average home attendance has been running second only to the Los Angeles Galaxy. Out there, they have the prospect of Posh and her husband arriving later in the season; FC had Bosh (Chris) and his entourage on hand yesterday. The quick-on-the-uptake fans, after Bosh's image was projected on the big screen, quickly broke into a round of "Let's Go Raptors." Nothing gets by them, or on this day goalkeeper Srdjan Djekanovic.

"They've been magnificent," said Johnston of the fans (he was impressed by Djekanovic, too). He made a point, though, of saying that "the guys in that locker room have entertained." Mutual admiration is easier when a team is winning.

Midfielder Ronnie O'Brien, who used to play for Dallas, said he encountered some fans visiting from there and told them: "Look at this!" as in this is the way a soccer atmosphere is supposed to be. "It's a credit to the city," he said.

With six games on the road, through New England, Kansas City, Salt Lake, Chicago, Houston and Columbus, O'Brien said the most important thing is "you have to have the same mentality you have at home. ... You have to play to win."

Coach Johnston said he is now "more than confident this team can win on the road," adding that "after today certain teams will have to adjust to us."

Imagine Johnston saying that six weeks ago. Ancient history.

Guest Jeffery S.

Heard from Srdjan.

He was very pleased after yesterday, as he feels he is starting to feel fully part of the team and in synch. He admits the first two games he was not entirely comfortable, took a while to just settle in.

He also reveals that as an MLS development player CIS will let him play for UBC still, which is his idea in the fall if TFC don't go far in playoffs. As UBC is hosting the national university championship this year he wants to be part of it. Don't know how all that works, as since he is being paid he would lose his amateur status, wouldn't he? Or is it that CIS is not so strict on this?

Srdjan is still studying at a distance, so it seems he would like to finish schooling if he could. Has two years left to go at least if he does not cut back on course load.

Interesting take on the TFC playing style, the team is pretty happy with the set-up with Dichio as target man and Cunningham providing speed around him. Since the style is suited to countering, let's hope it give them results away where opponents will be carrying the play more.

I wish the authors of these articles that keep questioning the legitimacy of the sell-outs based on being able to spot a handful of empty seats would look to their left (whether they are watching on tv or are actually in the press box) and notice the whole slew of people watching the game from the Beer Garden. There are no tickets sold to view the game there, so where the hell do they think those people's seats are in reality, the top of the CN Tower?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I wish the authors of these articles that keep questioning the legitimacy of the sell-outs based on being able to spot a handful of empty seats would look to their left (whether they are watching on tv or are actually in the press box) and notice the whole slew of people watching the game from the Beer Garden. There are no tickets sold to view the game there, so where the hell do they think those people's seats are in reality, the top of the CN Tower?

From my vantage point near the corner flag, I could not spot an empty seat anywhere once the game was well under way.. I think what happens is people like Wolsely, who watched on TV, are getting an inacurrate perception and that is because many people are getting there late because of the transit nightmare.

This is one big problem that I feel the club needs to begin to adress. Namely, that is a this facility is very difficult to get to. Public transit to BMO is akin to water torcher. Just when i thought I had figured out the perfect way to get there ( ie.: at the Bathurst stn shuttle), I was treated to a bus with no airconditioning causing a passenger to almost pass out and the driver mistakened to the wrong road and got caught in gridlock. Consequently, people are showing up late. And, because of the scarcity of concessions, many are returning to their seats, at the second half, late. Its making the optics look bad and gives a false impression if you are watching on TV. Yesterdays match was a definite sell out. No ands if or buts

At yesterday's game I had free parking on the street and less then 5 minutes walk to BMO, I've attended 5 games and never had a problem, arriving at or leaving the area. (Once by go train)

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I've given up on taking public transit to the games. I can cut my commute time in half if I drive, even during rush hour. And there are a bunch of cheap parking lots if you know where to look.

Archived