GC Results [R]

Daniel

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by ovalroaster

2-0 USA at the half. donovan scores a penalty in first half injury time after a handball in the box.

could be 4-0 if beasley hadn't missed a couple of sitters.

Nostradamus in this git :D

This pretty much assures Mexico of moving on. Wouldn't they have to lose by five or more to be knocked out at this point? Because SLV are at a -4 goal diff after this match. (They were even coming in, as Mexico are)

It puts Guadeloupe through because they have one more point than El Salvador.

Mexico isn't completely out of the jungle yet. If they lose to Panama and Cuba wins, they're going home. [xx(]

I think El Salvador's pretty much hooped. In every situation I can think of, third-place of Group C is going to have four points. And El Salvador only has three.

Guatemala - T&T 0-0 at the half.

If Guatemala wins or ties or I believe even if they lose by 1, they finish 2nd and play Canada.

If T&T wins by 2 or more, they play Canada.

quote:Originally posted by DC76

I think El Salvador's pretty much hooped. In every situation I can think of, third-place of Group C is going to have four points. And El Salvador only has three.

Actually, if Mexico loses, 3rd place in Group C will have 3 points guaranteed. Mex loss plus Honduras win or tie = Mex in 3rd with 3 points. Mex loss with Cuba win = Hon in 3rd with 3 points and Mex goes home in 4rth. You know, home, to Los Angeles. Okay that was pathetic.

Problem is El Salvador is at -4 and Mexico has scored 3 goals to ES's 2. So I believe Mexico will have to lose by 5 goals. You're right, it ain't happening.

Honduras is at +0 and has 4 goals so I believe they would have to lose by 6 for ES to qualify.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

If Guatemala wins or ties or I believe even if they lose by 1, they finish 2nd and play Canada.

That's correct.

T&T down a man, BTW. On BS it's being suggested that Guatemala are playing for the tie.

Bottom line for Canada...we can't beat Guatemala, we don't deserve to be in the semis. The road to the finals for Canada likely goes through USA, BTW.

quote:Originally posted by intrepid_

So:

Canada vs. Guatemala

USA vs. C3

C1 vs. Guadeloupe

C2 vs. Costa Rica

Canada would meet the USA in the semis if both teams were to advance...

From FOX Sports...

Quarterfinals

Sat., Jun. 16

Canada vs. 2B

USA vs. Guadeloupe/3C

Sun., Jun. 17

1C vs. Guadeloupe/3B

Costa Rica vs. 2C

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Actually, if Mexico loses, 3rd place in Group C will have 3 points guaranteed. Mex loss plus Honduras win or tie = Mex in 3rd with 3 points. Mex loss with Cuba win = Hon in 3rd with 3 points and Mex goes home in 4rth. You know, home, to Los Angeles. Okay that was pathetic.

Problem is El Salvador is at -4 and Mexico has scored 3 goals to ES's 2. So I believe Mexico will have to lose by 5 goals. You're right, it ain't happening.

Honduras is at +0 and has 4 goals so I believe they would have to lose by 6 for ES to qualify.

Thanks for getting the one situation I obviously hadn't thought of before :D And yes, it is five goals Mexico has to lose by, which is as likely as me getting a date with Leelee Sobieski ;). Panama is decent, but they aren't good enough to beat Mexico by THAT much. Honduras should beat Cuba, too. So El Salvador is sca-REWED [}:)]

Bring on Guatemala! HYVÄ KANADA!!:D

Mexican concern

Sanchez has plenty of worries in next Gold Cup game

Posted: Tuesday June 12, 2007 8:02PM; Updated: Tuesday June 12, 2007 8:02PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/06/12/bc.soc.goldcup.mexico.ap/index.html

HOUSTON (AP) -- Mexico coach Hugo Sanchez has plenty of worries as his team prepares to play Panama Wednesday night in the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

First he must worry about the opponent, which leads Group C with a 1-0-1 mark. He also has to deal with criticism of his mediocre 5-3 record as head coach of the team he once starred for.

And Sanchez is concerned about the condition of the playing field at Reliant Stadium.

At Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., last weekend, Sanchez thought the natural grass was of poor quality in both his team's 2-1 victory over Cuba and its 2-1 upset loss to Honduras.

It was so bad, Sanchez said it caused minor injuries to his players. Not getting to practice on the field in New Jersey added to the woes, and his team had that same problem Tuesday.

"We are not used to playing on fields like we were in New York, and it's going to take a toll on us to play on these fields," Sanchez said after his team practiced at a local high school Tuesday. "We weren't allowed to practice in New York on the field. It's a rule of FIFA: The day before the match we're supposed to be able to practice on the field. I was surprised we weren't allowed to. That makes things a little difficult. "

Sanchez won't know what the natural grass at Reliant Stadium is like until Wednesday, though they will be able to view it the afternoon before playing.

"We'll be able to see the state of the field and that's going to help us a little bit," he said. "Both teams are facing the same thing. They will also not be able to train on the field.

"Today, it was very important to recover and become 100 percent, because a lot of players came up injured due to the quality of the field in New York. The players are definitely ready to play tomorrow."

Sanchez expects to start its best players. Sanchez used only three starters from Friday night's victory in the second game last Sunday.

"We made substitutions and changes for obvious reasons," Sanchez said. "Because we had to play two games in less than 48 hours, we had to think about the fact that the players are humans and not machines. Thus, we had to divide the team. Now that we have another day of rest, we will be able to choose the players that are in the best shape for the next game."

Mexico will play Wednesday without Cuauhtemoc Blanco, who was red-carded Sunday for elbowing Honduras defender Samuel Caballero in front of the Honduran goal as the two jostled for position awaiting a Mexican corner kick.

"It will be a difficult game and it will come down to whoever plays their own game and controls the match," Sanchez said. "I am just going to make the correct adjustments and try to win this game. We are not going to worry about what position we are in or where we play, we are just going to think about this game.

"The important thing is to qualify, whether its in the first position, second position or third. That's what we are worried about."

The other match in Group C play Wednesday pits Honduras (1-1-0) against Cuba (0-1-1).

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

So, the possibility of a U.S. v Mexico 1/4 final is quite good. El Salvador is all but eliminated and a B1 v A3 matchup would leave C3 v C1 which I cannot see either. So,it would have to be B1 v C3 which is and may remain Mexico.

The bolded scenario's impossible. That's why the third-placers have the either-or thang happening and are grouped as they are in the bracket. So:

If A3&B3 advance:

A3 plays B1

B3 plays C1

If A3&C3 advance:

C3 plays B1

A3 plays C1

If B3&C3 advance:

C3 plays B1

B3 plays C1

In other words, the only way Mexico doesn't play the USA in the QFs is if they beat Panama or if they get sent home outright on the strength of a combination of Panama and Cuba both winning. There are so many different situations that can stem from tomorrow's games it hurts my brain just thinking about it. [xx(] But most of the non-win situations have Mexico playing the USA.

A Mexico win brings only two situations:

1. If Honduras wins, Mexico plays Costa Rica

2. If Honduras loses, Mexico likely plays Guadeloupe, but there's an astronomically small chance of it being El Salvador, if Honduras were to lose by half a dozen as mentioned by Elias earlier, in which case Guadeloupe would draw the US of A instead. I don't think Cuba is capable of inflicting that much damage on Honduras tbh. But stranger things have happened.:D

EDIT: I just noticed something. The top two podium finishers at the Caribbean Nations Cup (Trinis, Haiti) are out and third place (Cuba) is on the verge of elimination, and all three would have finished dead-last in their group if Cuba loses or draws, but the fourth-place team, non-FIFA Guadeloupe, is moving up. How wack is that? :D

After all of the crap that opposition teams have had to go through in order to attempt to breathe properly while playing in Mexico, I find it somewhat rich that Hugo Sanchez is complaining about the grass in New York affecting his team's performance.

Honduras up 3-0 on Cuba

So Panama, Honduras and Mexico are all advancing (unless Mexico gets blown out).

If Mexico wins, Panama plays the US.

If Mexico loses, Mexico plays the US.

If Mexico ties, Mexico plays the US.

At least I think so...

Archived