Saputo Stadium groundbreaking (pictures and video)

Daniel

Looks like there will only be one Grandstand, which is a pitty. Personally I would model it on the English Stadia model, every section is covered. No head aches on Rainy days. Other dissapointment is the location. Just ask the Montreal Expos. The area could be compared to Vancouver's GAS TOWN in the esat end. I guess Saputo got a deal on Cheap Land. That being Said, The Saputo group will be dishing out 7.5 million of the total cost, the balace will be covered by the private sector, so over taxed Quebec residents will have something to cheer about. Stadium will seat +/- 13000 seats with the option of expanding to 17000 seats.

Of Note Joey Saputo was on Mich Melnick of the Team 990 in Montreal, and stated that he has not given up on a MLS franchise for Montreal.

It really is too bad they don't cover all the stands. The roof that is there doesn't even cover the entire stand!

I don't think the location will be much of a factor. When the Expos were playing outdoors, they didn't have trouble attracting people. Getting people to go 6 stations from Berri-UQÀM for 12-15 games a year won't be a problem.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

It really is too bad they don't cover all the stands. The roof that is there doesn't even cover the entire stand!

I don't think the location will be much of a factor. When the Expos were playing outdoors, they didn't have trouble attracting people. Getting people to go 6 stations from Berri-UQÀM for 12-15 games a year won't be a problem.

Maybe they want to wait until they expand it before adding a roof for all the stands? [:P]

Joey Saputo's press conference "in english" is on USLlive and yes its free. ;)

http://usl.playonsports.tv/video/index.html?event=1415

That press conference is hilarious. First the great philosophical statements from a teary eyed Saputo, "Dreams are only dreams until you turn them into reality" and the stuff about a person completing 3 tasks to guarantee a legacy (should this be the text of the next Ultras chant): having children, planting a tree and writing a book (I wonder if Saputo is going to write a book full of his original philosophical musings). This is then followed by one of the lamest ground breaking ceremonies ever that is made in a sandbox brought into the conference room.

It's great news for the city and soccer in this country pointe finale.

We are getting what we always wanted a real Soccer Specific Stadium.

For that Montreal Impact fans should be grateful.

QUESTION:

When will the stadium be ready for? Our season opener for season 2008?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

That press conference is hilarious. First the great philosophical statements from a teary eyed Saputo, "Dreams are only dreams until you turn them into reality" and the stuff about a person completing 3 tasks to guarantee a legacy (should this be the text of the next Ultras chant): having children, planting a tree and writing a book (I wonder if Saputo is going to write a book full of his original philosophical musings). This is then followed by one of the lamest ground breaking ceremonies ever that is made in a sandbox brought into the conference room.

Is there anything you can't complain about?

The groundbreaking was held in a tent on the existing soccer field.

But the Expos DID have have trouble attracting people because of the stadium location. That is something that is pretty widely accepted nowadays so I am surprised to hear you make the claim otherwise.

The decision on Olympic stadium location was political from the very beginning. But the forces ( ie.: The type of people who were at the time proponents of the current location) that won out ultimately accepted ( in final years of the ball team) that the current location was the wrong one and ill suited for the Expos and that what the Expos needed was a downtown stadium. I'll bet that with a Dt stadium, the Expos would still be around.

Now, in defense of your argument, its worth pointing out that the Expos attendance woes did not extent to games on weekends. And, Soccer is a sport where the games are mostly played on weeekends. Furthermore, the makeup of the soccer crowd is a little different from teh baseball crowd. But still, if you look back and analyse closely the Expos attendance problems, you will note that the discrepancy bettween weekend attandance versus weekday was humongous and unlike any other MLB team. Its hard and very inconvenient to get to that location after work. The bulk employers in Montreal are downtown and in the St Laurent to Dorval areas. This makes it a pain to get out to Pie IX on week night. If you are Dt, you dont know if you should go home.

Is there anything you can't complain about?

The groundbreaking was held in a tent on the existing soccer field.

Come on Daniel, if TFC held a press conference like this with the President making teary eyed philosophical statements and a ground breaking ceremony in which they couldn't even make the effort to go outside you would be all over it. I am not complaining either, I just found it hilarious, it made me laugh. Saputo seems to be quite a character.

By the way I actually like the new drawings of the stadium. Still sceptical it will actually look this nice if they stay on budget but if they can build a stadium as nice as the drawings with that amount of money then it will be a job well done.

As far as location goes, like any stadium it would be better downtown but the Olympic stadium location is certainly no worse than the current location of CCR and for people travelling by metro is probably a bit easier to get to. If they are drawing well at CCR's location I don't see why that would change for the new location. It is not like they are moving from the downtown McGill stadium to Olympic stadium but rather from one outlying area to a different outlying area.

photo7-6275.jpg

This is a tent ON the field, with a hole in the fake floor for the groundbreaking. It was not a sandbox in a conference room.

Considering that there was still a blizzard on Monday, I can't imagine them planning a big media event outdoors.

As for the speech, MLSE hasn't been involved in the local soccer scene for 15 years and the comparison isn't applicable IMO.

I didn't see the press conference, but I'm of the opinion that a few tears aren't a bad thing. Mr. Saputo has invested a lot of time and money into this club, and this is a dream fulfilled for him/them. Obviously MLSE isn't going to shed a tear, because they haven't invested as much emotionally and time-wise that Mr. Saputo has.

Congratulations to the Impact fans, that is going to be a great park to watch a game.

MlSE more likely laughed all the way to the bank with the generous portion of the stadium money handed over by Pipe and the 15 millions for the BMO stadium name.

with the various sponsors getting on board and soldout games they might even show a surplus with assets to spare.

Maybe I am not as sensitive or in touch with my feminine side as some but I am trying to remember the last time I saw the owner of a sports franchise cry as he talked about how much he loved his dad. I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of we are building a stadium that will have an intense atmosphere so we can kick the ass of all the teams that come to play here. Daniel, maybe Joey S. should start leading the chants in the Kop so we can have a kinder, gentler crowd atmosphere more appealing to away fans and those attending games to catch the t-shirts from the mascots. We could even sing some songs about dreams becoming reality (sounds like Barbara Streisand) and the three things you have to do to ensure a legacy so that spectators would improve their life outlook. Where did he get that stuff anyway? From the Doctor Phil's Guide to Writing Inspirational Speeches?

From the new angle of the picture I now realize it is not a sandbox but rather a hole in the temporary tent they built for the ceremony. And you know what, It is still F-ucking lame. When have you seen an indoor groundbreaking ceremony for a stadium? Wouldn't want the Suits to get pieces of dirt on their shoes. The reason it looked like a sandbox is it appears the dirt has either been previously broken up or possibly gardening dirt brought in because you wouldn't want the Suits to have to break a sweat by actually doing the groundbreaking they are supposed to do. Isn't part of the symbolism of groundbreaking ceremonies that the president of the company is supposed to do something a worker would do, ie. like actually dig up one shovelfull of earth? The snowstorm was so vicious they couldn't clear a little area outside to take a shovel of dirt? Did it turn the ground into permafrost?

I am sorry criticism of Joey S. offends you. I always thought your favourite Montrealer was Shelby Belle not Joey S (why didn't Joey invite her to the ceremony? That would certainly be a fitting precursor to errecting a stadium. She would look so good bent over one of those shovels that it could justify the use of gardening soil). I don't mean to break bad news to you but do you know that Shelby is not being faithful to you? I read on the internet that she is quite promiscuous. Sorry to break the bad news man.;)

Archived