Dirty, dirty Chelsea interested in JDG2

Did he really say that? Because if he didn't that's the biggest cock tease of the year. Come on Jono put on the red and white. Playing footie for underdog countries means you get 1,000,000 pairs of silk undies when you get to heaven. That's why Dwight Yorke does it.

Wow, i'll echo those sentiments, if the quote is real then that's GOOD news! He'd get away from Holland and any pressure to play for Oranje, plus he'd be reunited with good buddy Salomon Kalou and hear all about how the Dutch immigration ministry are racists...

The 2M pound figure sounds low though, his buyout is listed at 10M Euros. I'm sure they can negotiate...

quote:Originally posted by matthew

If he's no longer in the Netherlands, how would that affect his bid to gain citizenship? Wouldn't it kill it? Because residency is his only basis for being Dutch correct?

cheers,

matthew

Chelsea it is then!!!!! sign him up, put him on a flight and get him in a Canadian jersey

quote:Originally posted by matthew

If he's no longer in the Netherlands, how would that affect his bid to gain citizenship? Wouldn't it kill it? Because residency is his only basis for being Dutch correct?

cheers,

matthew

I agree with this. I think the connection is essentially broken. Unless he has marriage plans with a Dutch citizen in the near future, I would think he would not be interested and/or able to pursue it further. It's not like he needs that EU passport as badly as some of Canada's players.

Jason

Well if it is true that he's moving on, then why wouldn't he play for Canada this summer in the world cup? He's going to end up moving to a big team sooner than later, and such exposure at the U-20 would help him sell himself (look what messi, obi did)... Really don't understand this kids reasoning.

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

http://www.fansfc.com/chelseafootballclub/news.asp?newsid=164078

Does make sense, as he would have trouble getting a work permit.

I wonder how much of this is an assumption? Was it only a few weeks ago that we were reading that JDG2 was waffling on the Dutch citizen issue due to the requirement to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I wonder how much of this is an assumption? Was it only a few weeks ago that we were reading that JDG2 was waffling on the Dutch citizen issue due to the requirement to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

The "waffling" though was merely speculation on the part of posters here. The actual story was simply that Jonathon had not yet applied for a dutch passport or made a decision abuot playing for Holland.

I don't think he will need a dutch passport to go to England however - they do have a provision to allow players who do not qualify normally to get in on the basis of exceptional talent. At this point in his career, I think he has shown enough to qualify under that provision.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

The "waffling" though was merely speculation on the part of posters here. The actual story was simply that Jonathon had not yet applied for a dutch passport or made a decision abuot playing for Holland.

I don't think he will need a dutch passport to go to England however - they do have a provision to allow players who do not qualify normally to get in on the basis of exceptional talent. At this point in his career, I think he has shown enough to qualify under that provision.

I didn't know that.

Interesting... who judges whether someone is an "exceptional talent"?

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I didn't know that.

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

There is a panel made up of ex footballers. Can be a bit of a crap shoot...Convey didn't get it when, Tottenham I think, was interested the year prior to his going to Reading, but Guzman has a much much stronger case than Convey.

I have no doubt that DeGuzman could get the permit given that he is a starter for Feyernoord and that Chelsea has a lot of pull. It would probably be easier and less time consuming getting the England permit than getting Dutch citizenship. Ironic though that if he had been playing regularly for our senior team that that would also have made things easier for him in getting a work permit.

Archived