Dirty, dirty Chelsea interested in JDG2

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

http://www.fansfc.com/chelseafootballclub/news.asp?newsid=164078

"Unlike his brother though, the Feyenoord star is expected to play his international football for Holland.

Jonathan de Guzmán has already lived in the Netherlands for around 7 years, so should have no problems getting a Dutch passport.

That should pave the way to a move to Chelsea, who have been following Jonathan de Guzmán's progress for some time."

Does anyone else see this as a possible problem? It would make sense for Chelsea to wait until/if Jonathan would get a dutch passport, which, as it says, would make a transfer easier. If JDG2 really wants to move to Chelsea - and soon - would this not encourage him to get a dutch passport (no matter what ie: renounce being Canadian) sooner rather than later?

I'm not too up on the process of getting a Dutch passport but isn't there another possibility here? What are the chances that the Netherlands are going to give a passport to someone who is then highly likely to leave straight away and pay taxes to another country?

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Does anyone else see this as a possible problem? It would make sense for Chelsea to wait until/if Jonathan would get a dutch passport, which, as it says, would make a transfer easier. If JDG2 really wants to move to Chelsea - and soon - would this not encourage him to get a dutch passport (no matter what ie: renounce being Canadian) sooner rather than later?

I think you're underestimating the difficulty of renouncing the citizenship of your birth country. It's not such an easy decision, especially when there are other leagues and teams that you could play for that are just as high a level of quality soccer that wouldn't require you to do such a thing. I'm sure being Canadian, even if only on paper is more important to him than playing for Chelsea next season. I bet the whore would say the same thing.

Archived