"Extra Time" on GOLTV reports Simoes MNT coach

thepatriot

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

If thinking that the CSA is messed up means that you are "nuts", I suspect that many on this board would be judged as being "nuts" too. I would be equally concerned about hiring someone who thought everything was wonderful with the CSA because then nothing would change.

Maybe I'm missing something....where has it been suggested that Simoes believes the CSA is messed up?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The following is a pretty interesting interview with Simoes about his time in Iran. He comes off pretty well in the interview at least and doesn't seem afraid to criticize the federation of the country. Also some interesting stuff about the Iranian federation fudging birthdates for those who remember the Iraqi team we played against in a previous U-20 WC. Even if he is a Jesus loving pre-game prayer coach one would think he is able to refrain from this considering he just finished coaching in Iran.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=216534

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

Yes, my "contact" mentioned something about pre-game prayer sessions.

With Jesus on our side, nothing can stop us! Perhaps the CSA know what they are doing after all!

This is what I was referring to when I used the term "eccentric". Trying to be politically correct, I guess.

Maybe we are thinking prayer sessions (and assuming only Christian) before games is wierd, but I suspect this would be common in the Middle East. It may also be a common in practice at clubs in Brazil to accomodate some players.

I wonder if what we think is nuts may be common where this coach is coming from.

I could be totally wrong here, but do we really know if the Brazilian Coach is Simoes? Or is this based on some circumstantial assumptions? My gut is telling me that something doesn't fit.

quote:Originally posted by villus

I could make a whole slew of points here as to why I think this statement is ridiculous, instead I will just ask your reasoning behind this?

I could make a whole slew of points here as to why I think that your post is ridiculous. Instaed, I will just ask that you explain your reasoning behind this statement that: " an SA background would likely be quite an adjustment for them"

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

The first post by Can. in UK

"Essentially he thinks the MNT is "screwed"."

Yeah, but the way that post is written it suggests to me that Can. in UK's source believes the MNT is screwed, rather than Simoes believes the men's national team is screwed because the CSA is hiring himself as coach.

Perhaps Can. in UK can clarify who "he" is in that post.

Guest Can. in UK

Yeah.. sorry I can't say who the person is as he has working a working relationship with the people he is criticizing.

It was his opinion that the MNT was "screwed" because the coaching options available to the CSA were not great.

Yeah.. sorry I can't say who the person is as he has working a working relationship with the people he is criticizing.

It was his opinion that the MNT was "screwed" because the coaching options available to the CSA were not great.

Thanks - sorry I didn't mean to suggest I was asking for the name of your contact, but rather I just wanted it confirmed that the "he" who thought the MNT was screwed was your contact & not Simoes, which is what a few of the other posters have apparently thought. That's what I had thought you meant.

This does not surprise me...what coach serious about his career would want to coach Canada? A miniscule budget - hell I would bet that the residency program means the women's team has a higher sponsorship value - and so few games as to render the concept of a "national team" program meaningless.

What? Is this true? Rene Simones the new coach of the Canadian MNT?? Unreal. Never in a million years did I think that quite possibly the CSA could pull this off. I have said numerous times that instead of always hiring either a North American/European coach, why not take a chance and hire a Latin American coach for the MNT. It is about time. This guy is knowledgable about the CONCACAF region. Also a Latin American coach for the MNT will help give the side how to better grasp the Central American style of play, that is especially needed to beat the Central American sides in CONCACAF and get to where our ultimate goal is.... Qualification for the FIFA Mens World Cup!!

Looks like i misunderstood, sorry.

I don't agree with the hiring of Simoes meaning the MNT team is screwed. He's a very good tactician and teacher of the game. Yeah, he might be weird, but i think the players are smart enough to realize Simoes is looking out for theirs and his best interest.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

What? Is this true? Rene Simones the new coach of the Canadian MNT?? Unreal. Never in a million years did I think that quite possibly the CSA could pull this off. I have said numerous times that instead of always hiring either a North American/European coach, why not take a chance and hire a Latin American coach for the MNT. It is about time. This guy is knowledgable about the CONCACAF region. Also a Latin American coach for the MNT will help give the side how to better grasp the Central American style of play, that is especially needed to beat the Central American sides in CONCACAF and get to where our ultimate goal is.... Qualification for the FIFA Mens World Cup!!

I've wanted to see a Latin American coach up here as well. Let's hope that players and coach can mesh together into a finely honed machine.

db

Well...I think that if you took all of what I would want in the next coach (primarily WC experience, CONCACAF experience, either Mexican or South American) and then pared down the list by way of the realistic shortcomings of the CSA offer (low salary, few games, few home stadiums, no CSA infrastructure) then this guy's name would have to be on the list. It's just funny seeing somebody that fits the bill, seeing an actual face materialize. Time will tell, and I hope we're not saying "Be careful for what you wish for" or something to that effect after his first six months in charge. Interesting news, in any event.

With all the press reports posted here over the past week, it would seem that it is quite possible that Simoes will be the new coach.

Without knowing if this is true or not, I thought it important to emphasize that fans need to look past his eccentricities and judge him on his coaching abilities (whatever that is). It is also important to know that that the evangelical Christian movement is quite large in Brazil and Simoes would not seem so "out there" in his home country.

I would also point out that Kaka has the same eccentricity and I doubt we would even think twice about including a player like him on our national team because of that, if we had one.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

With all the press reports posted here over the past week, it would seem that it is quite possible that Simoes will be the new coach.

Without knowing if this is true or not, I thought it important to emphasize that fans need to look past his eccentricities and judge him on his coaching abilities (whatever that is). It is also important to know that that the evangelical Christian movement is quite large in Brazil and Simoes would not seem so "out there" in his home country.

I would also point out that Kaka has the same eccentricity and I doubt we would even think twice about including a player like him on our national team because of that, if we had one.

I agree with you.

I just wonder how the players will react - i.e. will they be able to look beyond his "different-ness".

I would assume that most would, as I they probably encounter all sorts of wackos moving up the professional ranks.

saw this today........wonder what DeRo has to say????

Last week Extra Time was the first network in Canada to report that Brazilian born, former Jamaican National Team Manager, Rene Simoes, will be named as Canada’s next National Team Manager. Canada has been without a National Team Manager since Frank Yallop resigned to take over as Head Coach of David Beckham and the Los Angeles Galaxy. Stephen Hart has been Canada’s Interim Manager since that time.

Watch Extra Time this week and see an exclusive interview with Canadian International Dwayne DeRosario. Extra Time brings the soccer’s most important news to Canadians first! Extra Time airs Friday’s at 8:00pm ET/ 5:00pm PT on GOLTV.

I think Simoes would probably be a good choice. However, I think it should be clear to him that pushing his beliefs on players or holding team prayer meetings is unacceptable. I doubt he would have a problem with this since his last job was in Iran. Whatever his private beliefs are is his own business and they should remain private. We are hiring a soccer coach not a spiritual advisor or priest. If he is not ok with that he should not be hired. We have had enough problems with coaches alienating players because of their difficult personality (Ossieck) or favouritism (Yallop) and we certainly don't need the next coach to be alienating players because of religious beliefs.

I think we may be getting a little paranoid about this issue because I don't know if he has ever been accused letting his personal beliefs impact on his professional life.

I found this tribute (along with spelling errors) as it is an indication of how he left Jamaica and feelings he left behind:

http://www.hotcalaloo.com/hc9v1.htm

March 2000

Rene Simoes Quits as Reggae Boyz Coach

Reggae Boyz soccer coach, Rene Simoes is already back in Brazil. It all happened so fast as:

Jamaica competed in the Gold Cup soccer tournament for CONCACAF champions.

They exited quickly losing to Columbia 1-0 and Honduras 2-0.

In Jamaica, lots of criticism of the team and Simoes arose.

Simoes got permission from JFF to interview with Brazilian Soccer club Flamenco and to relinquish his contract

JFF accepted his resignation and he accepted the Flamenco offer.

Within days he packed his family and amidst many fond farewells, it was back to Brazil.

He is gone but not forgotten. How can we ever forget:

the joy and pride he broght Jamaica with the Rggae Boyz in their World Cup quest?

that glorious feeling that night in Washinton DC's RFK stadium, filled with gold clad cheering Jamaican fans as the Reggae Boyz took on US in a crucial qualifying match?

the heroic fight back from last place against El Salvador in a near empty Jamaica National stadium to qualify for France?

How Simoes not only tried to rally suppot for the football team but even the West Indies cricket team when disillusioned Jamaican fans were ready to abandon then in game there against Australia?

I could go on because he left so many memorable moments. Personally. I think his departure is premature and Jamaica Football Federation should have made a greater effort to keep him. He will be missed. To be sure his successor will have a job on his hands as he must:

hold and mold the diverse players, foreign, local, amateur and pros, together as a unit

discipline, discipline, discipline

meet high public expectations probably no less than qualifying for World Cup 2002

deal with a critical verbal, sometimes know-it-all press and public

follow in the footsteps of a brilliant coach, Rene Simoes, a tough act to follow

But, Simoes went beyond being a brilliant coach. This little Brazilian involved himself and his family in the everyday life and concerns of Jamaica. His deparure is Jamaica's loss and Flamenco's gain. Jamaica's Minister of Sport and Tourism, Portia Simpson, summed it up best at a farewell function for him when she said. " We salute you, 'Prof, for helping to elevate our conciousness of how much we can acheive when we have faith in our abilities to overcome adversity with perseverance and hard work."

However interesting this Simoes link is. I'm not sure sure if he will be our coach. Well not till it is annouced by the CSA. I remember a certain Brazilian coach that was coaching Portugal who was going to be the next England coach. It didn't happen even though the story was certain that this guy was going to be the next England coach. So my point is lets wait and see what happens. We might end up having a different coach.

My point in posting this link was not necessarily to assume that Simoes is the coach, but to emphasize that we have to assess the coach based on his professional abilities rather than his personal beliefs.

I am also aware that there has been no final announcement and that there are other highly qualified coaches who had applied.

However, there is one significant difference between the Scolari situation and the Simoes situation. The Scolari story was being followed by a rabid British press that wanted so badly for the rumour to be true even when Scolari was still employed and wanted. In the Simoes situation (especially if we believe johntv), the Canadian press is trying desperately to ignore this story but it won't go away even after Linford has said a final decision has not been made. And Simoes is currently unemployed.

quote:Originally posted by N-A

However interesting this Simoes link is. I'm not sure sure if he will be our coach. Well not till it is annouced by the CSA. I remember a certain Brazilian coach that was coaching Portugal who was going to be the next England coach. It didn't happen even though the story was certain that this guy was going to be the next England coach. So my point is lets wait and see what happens. We might end up having a different coach.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I could make a whole slew of points here as to why I think that your post is ridiculous. Instaed, I will just ask that you explain your reasoning behind this statement that: " an SA background would likely be quite an adjustment for them"

maybe he means that there are some differences between south american football and english/northern european football that the vast majority of our players are involved with on a day to day basis...not sure why you are taking such offence to his comment.

maybe, with his central american experience, he can teach our boys to roll around like they have been shot with a sherman tank everytime someone comes within 3 feet of them.

I liked that article I thought he came across as a straight shooter. Notice he's sounding fed up with organizational and top brass issues he faced in Iran. Lack of organization, lack of chemistry due to lack of playing time and other things he couldn't control...I'm just wondering if he knows what he's getting himself into if he coaches us (and if he'll turn and bolt after a few months)

Archived