Bermuda is official and maybe a new coach?

mluciani

Saw this not sure if it was posted:

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/soccer/story.html?id=6d574eca-6987-4f8a-8282-d7ae8b65b0ac&k=69957

Canadian men's soccer team to play in Bermuda on March 25 Canadian Press

Published: Sunday, February 25, 2007 Article tools

TORONTO (CP) - The Canadian men's soccer team will visit Bermuda for a friendly on March 25, the Canadian Soccer Association said Sunday.

Canada will hold a weeklong camp in Bermuda prior to the game.

The Canadians are currently ranked 87th in the world by FIFA, compared to No. 118 for Bermuda. Canada last played in Bermuda in January 2000 under then coach Holger Osieck, winning 2-0 on a pair of goals by Martin Nash to improve its record against the tiny island to 3-0-4.

The contest will be the first for the Canadian men since a 1-0 loss to Hungary in November.

The Bermuda camp may also be the first outing for Canada's new coach. CSA president Colin Linford says he is on track to have a new coach in position by the end of March.

Acting coach Stephen Hart ran the national team at a Florida camp last month.

Canada is also set to play in the Gold Cup in the U.S. from June 6 to 24. There is also a friendly against Iceland in Reykjavik on Aug. 22.

© The Canadian Press 2007

Marco

Men's National Team

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Canada to face Bermuda in March

OTTAWA (ONTARIO) – Canada’s men’s national team will be off to Bermuda next month for a one-week camp and international friendly against the host national team. The camp ends with the international friendly on 25 March, Canada’s first of the 2007 season.

Canada’s senior team has faced Bermuda seven times including their first World Cup Qualifying encounter on 6 October 1968 in Toronto (4:0 win). Canada and Bermuda last faced off against each other on 11 January 2000 in Hamilton, Bermuda (Canada 2:0 win on two Martin Nash goals). Canada has three wins and four draws in seven matches against Bermuda.

In the February 2007 FIFA world rankings, Canada’s men’s team was the ninth-ranked country in the CONCACAF confederation. While México and the United States were 1-2, Cuba, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras, Trindad & Tobago and Panamá filled in the six places ahead of Canada. Canada’s next big tournament is the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup this June.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Laugh if you will, but Kevin Constantine would not be the worst choice for manager. I see him as a Bob Liley type, only with more discipline. One bad game and the lads know they're wearing their kits the whole bus ride to Gold Cup.

Man you are giving me nightmares YNWA. Just as I was relieved that the prospect of KC and the Sunshine Band coaching the Nats (with the accompanying stream of posts from Kevin in NS about how good a job he was doing) was no longer possible you mention Bob Lilley, everyone's first choice for MNT manager. With supporters making comparisons like that KC doesn't really need any detractors does he?

quote:Originally posted by matthew

YNWA> I might be the only one who really got that, but I thought it was quite funny.

Who knows maybe the hard-nosed defence-first approach would work for us?

cheers,

matthew

Ah it was a joke. What is the kits on the bus story then?

Should we create a Lilley as national team coach rumour complete with a new poster named Bob in NFLD who writes posts supporting "his guy"?

All right, I give up. I thought I was reasonably up on my soccer knowledge. Who the hell is Kevin Constantine? The guy who coached the Penguins and Sharks? Isn't he coaching in the WHL now? Hey, did he make his players wear equipment on a bus?

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

All right, I give up. I thought I was reasonably up on my soccer knowledge. Who the hell is Kevin Constantine? The guy who coached the Penguins and Sharks? Isn't he coaching in the WHL now? Hey, did he make his players wear equipment on a bus?

Taking a quick look at his CV, he has coached the Indian and Nepal national teams as well as Millwall for one season.

I'd rather hire Dale Mitchell over him.

OKAY!!

I will fill everybody in. Kevin in NS was promoting Stephen Constantine. Daniel replies thanking "Kevin Constantine". Stephen Constantine was the former coach of India, Nepal, Millwall and now Malawi. Kevin Constantine was the former head coach of the San Jose Sharks and Pittsburgh Penguins. He currently coaches the Everett Silvertips of the Western Hockey League.

Kevin was in the news last year when he forced his players to wear their hockey equipment for the entire bus ride home after a disappointing game. Thus the joke from YNWA.

Everybody get it now?

Archived