Canadian scoring leaders.........

Winnipeg Fury

Hume just got his 1st senior goal. Occean scored against Northern Ireland. Uhmmm. That's all that comes to mind right now.

Same old complaint. Too few matchs a year to build totals. Especially when we don't advance in the few tournys we play, ie the Gold Cup or WCQing.

Big Kev can still get in there, but it's going to be tough. Probably has 5-6 years of international football in him if all goes okay. Might get 20-25 more matchs under his belt. A whole lot more if we can make it to the next WC.

Would have thought JDV would be on that list. At least near the bottom. Guess not.

Hutch has a couple? Don't think own goals count.

Hutchinson scored a good goal against honduras in wcq and a great one against cuba in the GC. he will be near the top of this list by 2009.

hume will never be a goalscorer for us, at least not a consistent one that we can count on. same for friend and occean. i have more hope for the next generation: johnson, peters (and JdG2).

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Come again? [?]

Hutch has a couple of real beauties under his belt, and no own goals that I know of.

I thought he was credited with an own goal against the US of A in the last Gold Cup? Heading one past Sutton. Am I thinking of someone else maybe or just addled?

quote: I thought he was credited with an own goal against the US of A in the last Gold Cup? Heading one past Sutton. Am I thinking of someone else maybe or just addled?

I doubt were both addled cause I remember it too, It was a desperate attempt of giving them a corner to get outta danger, it was probably the right thing to do in the moment, just the worst time to slip up :D

I remember Hutch scoring in the last qualifying cycle kicking in from six yards off a set piece I believe against Honduras. For the OG I remember Hutch sort of wrong footed Sutton with his back header and Sutton stumbled helplessly as it sailed past him. Hutch redeemed himself with a good performance (think he cleared one off the line) and Bernier stood out as the player I most wanted to fire out of a cannon, for a couple of sitters he put into row Z.

Here's the report showing the own goal from the 2005 Gold Cup game against the USA.

Saturday, July 9, 2005 - 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Qwest Field - Seattle, WA, USA

Attendance – 15,109

CANADA – 0 (0)

USA – 2 (0)

Goals: CANADA – none; USA – HUTCHINSON 48’ (own goal); DONOVAN 90’

Cautions: CANADA – DE ROSARIO 23’; SERIOUX 25’, 82’; USA – DONOVAN 45+; MASTROENI

75’; CONRAD 90+’

Expulsions – SERIOUX 82’

CANADA: 1–SUTTON Greg; 2–BRAZ Adam; 5–GERVAIS Gabriel; 6 – BERNIER Patrice; 8–

SERIOUX Adrian; 10–OCCEAN Olivier (9 – GERBA Ali 70’); 11–BRENNAN Jim (12–GRANDE

Sandro 79’); 13–HUTCHINSON Atiba; 14–DE ROSARIO Dwayne (Capt.); 15–SIMPSON Josh; 16–

LEDUC Patrick (17–PETERS Jaime 68’)

Head Coach: YALLOP Frank

Subs not used: 3–POZNIAK Chris; 4-MCKENNA Kevin (susp.); 7–HUME Iain; 18–DODDS Rhian;

33–FRANKS Mike

USA: 18-KELLER Kasey (Capt.); 3-VANNEY Greg; 4-ONYEWU Oguchi; 5 - O’BRIEN John (7-

BEASLEY DaMarcus 67’); 6-CHERUNDOLO Steve; 10-DONOVAN Landon; 13-NOONAN Patrick

(14-ARMAS Chris 81’); 16-WOLFF Josh; 19-RALSTON Steve; 23-POPE Eddie (12-CONRAD Jimmy

46’); 25-MASTROENI Pablo

Head Coach: ARENA Bruce (USA)

Subs not used: 1-HAHNEMANN Marcus; 2-HEJDUK Frankie; 8-DEMPSEY Clint; 9-QUARANTA

Santino; 11-CASEY Conor (inj.); 15-OLSEN Ben (not dressed); 21-DAVIS Brad (not dressed); 22-

SANNEH Tony (not dressed); 24-REIS Matt (not dressed)

I remember Dom had a bad injury during one qualifying round.

And I also remember him being used as a sub by BL. I remember being at a WC Qualifying match at Swangard in 93 vs Honduras, when Dom came on as a second half sub and scored a big goal in a 3-1 victory.

Dom had his chance for Europe (Holland) but chose not to pursue it. In the meantime, guys like Pesch, Bunbury and company were developing in Europe and simply surpassed Dom on the depth chart. He really blew it when he spurned the offer from Holland.

Well Domenic probably made the best decision for himself. He probably preferred to live in Canada instead of the Netherlands.

I recall him scoring a big winning goal against Australia in the qualifying for the 1994 World Cup. Unfortunately Canada lost the away match 2:1 and then lost in penalty shots. Had we won, we would of played Maradona's Argentina who ended up beating Australia with an own goal.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

Well Domenic probably made the best decision for himself. He probably preferred to live in Canada instead of the Netherlands.

I recall him scoring a big winning goal against Australia in the qualifying for the 1994 World Cup. Unfortunately Canada lost the away match 2:1 and then lost in penalty shots. Had we won, we would of played Maradona's Argentina who ended up beating Australia with an own goal.

Yes, I was at the Australia match as well, but didn't remember Dom scoring.

Didn't Dasovic score an own goal to give the Aussies a first half lead ? I remember being totally deflated by that goal, but Canada came out flying in the second half, and the final score actually flattered the Aussies. I think Watson scored one that day as well ?

Saturday, July 31, 1993 - World Cup ‘94 qualifier - Edmonton, Canada

Canada 2 (0)

Australia 1 (1)

Goals: Mark Watson (50), Domenic Mobilio (57) for Canada - Nick Dasovic (45, own goal).

Canada: Craig Forrest - Mike Sweeney, Mark Watson, Frank Yallop, Nick Dasovic (Norman Odinga, 46);

Colin Miller, John Limniatis (Carl Valentine, 46), Lyndon Hooper, Dale Mitchell; Domenic Mobilio, Alex

Bunbury - Coach: Bob Lenarduzzi.

Sunday, August 15, 1993 - World Cup ‘94 qualifier - Sydney, Australia

Australia 2 (1)

Canada 1 (0)

Goals: Frank Farina (45), Mehmet Durakovic (76) for Australia - Lyndon Hooper (54) for Canada

Canada: Craig Forrest; Frank Yallop, Randy Samuel, Mark Watson, Mike Sweeney; Colin Miller, Lyndon

Hooper, Nick Dasovic (Grant Needham, 108), Dale Mitchell; Alex Bunbury, Domenic Mobilio (Carl

Valentine, 46) - Coach: Bob Lenarduzzi.

I remember when Australia scored so shockingly just before halftime that even Graham Leggat and Vic Rauter were noticably shaken. The goal came before Pesch or Dasovic or I dont know who pulled the hair of a short Australian player. I was sooo happy when Bunbury scored. At the 91st minute we lost the picture and only got the picture back at the second extra time (technical difficulties were common when the Canadian team was on TSN). We lost on penalty kicks but where we really lost it is by not beating Mexico at home after we were up 1:0 (had we won that game, we would have been in the World Cup). Even if we beat Australia, we would of had to beat Argentina to get to the WC, that would have been very difficult. That time there was only 24 teams qualified to the World Cup, under the new rules we would have been in and maybe the legacy of making the tournament would have helped make Canada better now.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Saturday, July 31, 1993 - World Cup ‘94 qualifier - Edmonton, Canada

Canada 2 (0)

Australia 1 (1)

Goals: Mark Watson (50), Domenic Mobilio (57) for Canada - Nick Dasovic (45, own goal).

Canada: Craig Forrest - Mike Sweeney, Mark Watson, Frank Yallop, Nick Dasovic (Norman Odinga, 46);

Colin Miller, John Limniatis (Carl Valentine, 46), Lyndon Hooper, Dale Mitchell; Domenic Mobilio, Alex

Bunbury - Coach: Bob Lenarduzzi.

Sunday, August 15, 1993 - World Cup ‘94 qualifier - Sydney, Australia

Australia 2 (1)

Canada 1 (0)

Goals: Frank Farina (45), Mehmet Durakovic (76) for Australia - Lyndon Hooper (54) for Canada

Canada: Craig Forrest; Frank Yallop, Randy Samuel, Mark Watson, Mike Sweeney; Colin Miller, Lyndon

Hooper, Nick Dasovic (Grant Needham, 108), Dale Mitchell; Alex Bunbury, Domenic Mobilio (Carl

Valentine, 46) - Coach: Bob Lenarduzzi.

The Aussies came out during that second leg and destroyed us during the first half. Forrest was absolutely brilliant and as usual, kept us in the match.

Hooper's goal for Canada was world-class. Hooper was not a goal-scorer, but he let a rocket fly from 30 yards, and took us to PK's. Alex botched his PK, and Canada was out.

Probably the most memorable series Canada has ever played, with a very high profile match with Argentina if Canada had won.

quote:Originally posted by puskas

I remember when Australia scored so shockingly just before halftime that even Graham Leggat and Vic Rauter were noticably shaken. The goal came before Pesch or Dasovic or I dont know who pulled the hair of a short Australian player.

That was actually Frank Yallop that did that, IIRC.....I think it was Vidmar's hair that he pulled.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

I don't suppose anybody has a video clip of that eh?

I used to before a sibling wiped the tape years ago. I think the strike was from 20 yards moreso than 30, set up my Dale Mitchell. The Australian keeper got a hand to it but couldn't keep it out, and could be seen shouting "PHUCK!!!!!" on the broadcast as he left the shot in.

Also as I recall the game was broadcast fairly late here in the west. It is sad that we are left with this to remember back. I wonder what memories the Italians are sharing with each other, nevermind that even Jamaica, Trinidad and Costa Rica has better stories to tell. Hopefully this year will be our year a little.

Archived