Braz to sign with TFC Tuesday

Grizzly

quote:Originally posted by georg

As for the TFC, are these the players that will fill the BOM Center?

This is MLS, no player will singlehadedly fill a stadium in this league (except if they get Beckham ad even then I'm not sure). As for the three players, they are good canadian players, this is probably the most important thing for this team. A team is as good as it's weakest player so I'm pretty happy they are getting quality canadian players.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that LA (Yallop) is thinking about Suton considering some on this board do not think of our National Teal goalkeeper any good, Yallop must be bad at picking good Players??? As for the TFC, are these the players that will fill the BOM Center?

People seem to forget that Sutts came straight out of college and was drafted directly into MLS. IMO he does have the talent necessary for MLS but as others have mentioned he might not be worth what the Impact are asking (if indeed it is six figures).

The player(s) that will help fill the stadium are the ones that Toronto is loading up on allocation money for.

One other thing from what I understand, and the MLS salary structure is murky at best, is that transfer fees do not count towards the salary cap....

Bill

www.canadakicks.com

Look if you really want a first class Team in TO then every time a candidate comes up say at that time are you interested or Money is an issue. This is the season to sell Season Tickets and have an elite player aboard. I am not saying Sutton is the person or Savior but get of the high Horses. At this point all or very young are trying out for major European clubs and if good enough we will not see them play or after showing potential getting on with a 1 div or Elite club in Europe. Only Brennan has shown he is willing to come home. The other may be good,,, but it is all about seen Tickets and trying to establish Soccer back here. Thats why I think we(including CSA) sould have manage away to get Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver in together And possiblity also Edmonton. I am sure you could have sold more tickets at a TO vs Mon then TO vs Dallas, ansd Same in Van and Edmonton. I hope the CSA and Toronto suceed, but where is the vision without home player?

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

People seem to forget that Sutts came straight out of college and was drafted directly into MLS. IMO he does have the talent necessary for MLS but as others have mentioned he might not be worth what the Impact are asking (if indeed it is six figures).

The player(s) that will help fill the stadium are the ones that Toronto is loading up on allocation money for.

One other thing from what I understand, and the MLS salary structure is murky at best, is that transfer fees do not count towards the salary cap....

Bill

www.canadakicks.com

I am pretty sure that Sutton would be a capable keeper in the MLS, but if I was TFC I don't think I'd paid $100K for his transfer rights. How much better would Sutton be compared to recent USLers such as Josh Saunders or Preston Burpo, which could be purchased for peanuts (but they would be imports)?

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I think Sutton is an MLS quality keeper, who has a penchant for the odd bad goal. But he's had one of the best back lines in North America in front of him...I'd like to see how he'd do in Toronto.

Not even close. The Impact are a very good USL team, but in their current form they would not be a good MLS team and would get smoked by Mexican teams. TO will be a better team than Montreal on day 1.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I think Sutton is an MLS quality keeper, who has a penchant for the odd bad goal. But he's had one of the best back lines in North America in front of him...I'd like to see how he'd do in Toronto.

Not even close. The Impact are a very good USL team, but in their current form they would not be a good MLS team and would get smoked by Mexican teams. TO will be a better team than Montreal on day 1.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

As for being pissed off at the CSA/TFC thing, I don't think it has to do with the funding of the stadium itself, rather the MLS exclusivity negotiated BY the CSA (therefore impeding other potential Canadian bids for 3 years) and giving 6 national team games a year in Toronto despite new stadiums coming in other places like Montreal and Vancouver. Saputo's pissed because TFC was formed under the CSA's auspice and it did not act in the best interest of its other constituents while negotiating deals.

TFC is a rival, not a friend.

Sure but until recently he didnt want any part of MLS. And his and Vancouver's stadiums are still nowhere to be seen. In fact we only just got an artistic impression 2 weeks ago. We may not see this stadium till sometime in 2008 if not 2009 with Vancouver. So why would CSA schedule 6 games in Montreal when they have a brand new SSS available in Toronto from May 2007? They have to take full advantage of it. It seems to me that Joey wrote off MLS too quickly, realised his error and now finds himself locked out for at least 3 years by Toronto FC. With MLS expanding to 16 by 2010 and several candidate cities showing strong interest as MLS profile seems on the verge of a big upswing, he may find himself having to wait till well after 2010 to get in. In addition he is also keen to get as much as he can for Sutton, which is reasonable IMO.

I agree with RealGooner that Saputo has little reason to be pissed off at the CSA/MLS because only a few years earlier he had all the cards to get Canada's first MLS franchise if he wanted to and was not interested. He is the author of his own predicament just like Sutton is the author of his current predicament (I also have no problem with Saputo trying to get as much as he can for Sutton. If TFC is willing to overpay then good for him, if not he must decide whether a transfer fee more in line with Sutton's worth or loyalty to someone who has been one of his best players for several years is reason enough to let one of his best players go).

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Daniel

As for being pissed off at the CSA/TFC thing, I don't think it has to do with the funding of the stadium itself, rather the MLS exclusivity negotiated BY the CSA (therefore impeding other potential Canadian bids for 3 years) and giving 6 national team games a year in Toronto despite new stadiums coming in other places like Montreal and Vancouver. Saputo's pissed because TFC was formed under the CSA's auspice and it did not act in the best interest of its other constituents while negotiating deals.

TFC is a rival, not a friend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure but until recently he didnt want any part of MLS. And his and Vancouver's stadiums are still nowhere to be seen. In fact we only just got an artistic impression 2 weeks ago. We may not see this stadium till sometime in 2008 if not 2009 with Vancouver. So why would CSA schedule 6 games in Montreal when they have a brand new SSS available in Toronto from May 2007? They have to take full advantage of it. It seems to me that Joey wrote off MLS too quickly, realised his error and now finds himself locked out for at least 3 years by Toronto FC. With MLS expanding to 16 by 2010 and several candidate cities showing strong interest as MLS profile seems on the verge of a big upswing, he may find himself having to wait till well after 2010 to get in. In addition he is also keen to get as much as he can for Sutton, which is reasonable IMO.

Edited by - RealGooner on 11/21/2006 17:49:22

And where would BOM Center be without million from the Fed? Ithinks both Van & Mon would of loved equal money. And how about Edmonton who have the best Soccer Staduim for years holding the Anchor......

Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton has a running track does it not, and is in what is probably the coldest most northerly significant city in Canada? BMO Field does not have a running track plus it is in the centre of the most populous region in the country. Plenty of reasons to go for BMO Field.

For all the faults and warts of the New Ex/BMO Field project, the idea of a National Stadium has merit.

And if you agree that the idea of a National Stadium is okay in Canada, the only choice for it is southern Ontario. Idealy the greater Toronto area. It puts 2 out of 3 Canadians within a day trip of events and it offers direct and cheap airfare for those of us further a-field.

If Canada never looses yet another match on Swangard's grass that'll be merit enough for me to have the National Stadium in Toronto.

Sort of out of left field here, but wouldn't it be grand if the CSA could get some sort of travelling supporter scheme organized for out-of-town fans who're visiting Toronto for NT events. Mens, womens, senior, junior events, whatever. Cheaper hotel and air fare rates, that sort of thing.

A *20-year* priority contract with a stadium in ONE city is clearly favoritism and impedes others, simple as that.

I think it speaks to the excellent positioning of MLSE, actually.

MLSE basically held all the leverage in this deal, and to their credit, got the most out of it.

A *20-year* priority contract with a stadium in ONE city is clearly favoritism and impedes others, simple as that.

Yes and no.

Yes to the 1st part, but if a national association has bought into the idea of a national stadium they'd be irresponsable not to make the national stadium a venue priority. There's more to the goal of having a national stadium then a brick and mortor project.

As to the 2nd part, odviously more complicated. Of course this means other venues will be starved for NT events. But I don't know how much that is going to hurt those other venues. Nobody seemed to want them anyway (at least for a good many of the fixtures) and when they did take on a NT fixture it seemed they were handled on the cheap.

Both Saputo and Kerfoot, men not know for being dumb with their money, are still going full steam ahead with their stadium projects. Even here in Winnipeg we're finaly getting WSC2, crap stadium included and all this happening despite the national stadium project in Toronto.

P.S. Don't get me wrong. The MLSE deal is a crap deal as far as I can tell and others more in the know seem to agree. I'm just saying the idea of a National Stadium is good. Good? Great. I just hope it all works out for the best at the end of the day. If it does than the stadium deal won't look half as crappy as it does now.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Name a team with a better back line than Gabe, Nevio, Braz and Vincello...

3 of the 4 are National team players.

???

Gabe is a very mediocre NT player and with the return of Nsaliwa could be out of the picture in the future. Nevio hasn't been called for a while and is too slow for international soccer and I'm not sure he would be that good in the MLS.

Braz will be a decent MLS player and could improve a lot with a few seasons.

My guess would be that pretty much all the teams in Mexico Premier Division would have a better back line than the Impact and the same would apply to the MLS.

And where would BOM Center be without million from the Fed? Ithinks both Van & Mon would of loved equal money. And how about Edmonton who have the best Soccer Staduim for years holding the Anchor......

Well did they ask for any? Don't forget the government grant was tied to building the stadium in Toronto, which by all appearances is where FIFA wanted the stadium built, for all the reasons other posters have indicated above (population etc, centrepiece of WYC). So your point is really beside the point. Vancouver and Montreal should get mad at the government, not Toronto FC....

Ok, let's agree that "North America" means Canada+US for some functional discussion. The Impact's backline works well as a unit and its complete and utter lack of games against MLS in 10 years is quite frustrating for fans. Even the Dynamites have played the Revs!

When playing in international tournaments (last one was in 2001, though, with none of the current members save Sutton), they have aquitted themselves well.

I hope we finally get a canadian Cup in 2007. Knowing the CSA, they would be able to simply hand the qualifying spot to TFC, which would be a complete travesty.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Sort of out of left field here, but wouldn't it be grand if the CSA could get some sort of travelling supporter scheme organized for out-of-town fans who're visiting Toronto for NT events. Mens, womens, senior, junior events, whatever. Cheaper hotel and air fare rates, that sort of thing.

Grand idea, but does the CSA posess the kind of vision to even think of something like that?

Lets see, We the tax payers pay to built National and then pay rent to private enterprise to charge us to see national team and they make profit. Sound like an Toronto idea(Roger Center)

What does Ted Rogers have to do with MLSE managing BMO Field? You've lost me.

Archived