Braz to sign with TFC Tuesday

Grizzly

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

What does Ted Rogers have to do with MLSE managing BMO Field? You've lost me.

I think he is referring to the 600million dollar facility that Rogers got to buy for basically nothing. The York chapter of the CSA Stadium deal played a part in the process when the Argos were going to 'leave' Skydome, which after it was all done looked like a pile of BS.

They get a killer facility for nothing.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Ok, let's agree that "North America" means Canada+US for some functional discussion. The Impact's backline works well as a unit and its complete and utter lack of games against MLS in 10 years is quite frustrating for fans. Even the Dynamites have played the Revs!

When playing in international tournaments (last one was in 2001, though, with none of the current members save Sutton), they have aquitted themselves well.

I hope we finally get a canadian Cup in 2007. Knowing the CSA, they would be able to simply hand the qualifying spot to TFC, which would be a complete travesty.

Being an Impact fan, it will be tough being as excited watching Montreal play in the USL, and watch Toronto get all the exposure. I really think the long term goal of the Impact should be MLS. Maybe after the new stadium is built, and the MLS change a few "internal" rules. here's to hoping [8)]

Well I doubt TFC will get much exposure in Quebec, just like the Raptors don't get much (if any). Remember, even in TO no one cared about MLS before it had a team.

And Raven, you're in luck, you should be able to catch 14 Impact games over-the-air on Radio-Canada in 2007...

Well I doubt TFC will get much exposure in Quebec, just like the Raptors don't get much (if any). Remember, even in TO no one cared about MLS before it had a team.

And Raven, you're in luck, you should be able to catch 14 Impact games over-the-air on Radio-Canada in 2007...

Trust me I am happy to be able to see the Impact from BC, but I do get all the hype about TFC here, and no word on the Impact. Something I'll have to live with :)

Just to add on the topic of TFC 'hype'....At the Usector/RPB MLS Cup viewing party recently, one of the MLS reps present was asked about MLSE's relationship with the CSA. The rep stated that there is an understanding between CSA and MLSE that MLSE will work to raise the profile of the MNT. The MNT coach will be based in BMO Field. BMO Field is within walking distance of CBC headquarters, did you guys know that? Thats an example of the potential we have here for raising the profile of soccer in this country. Mo Johnston said that there were 17 camera crews at the announcement of his hiring. He said he never faced that many cameras even when he was a star in Scotland. TFC has been in the news alot recently, which means that Canadian soccer has been in the news recently. I expect that this 'hype' is going to spread to the MNT what with the MNT playing matches in a downtown Toronto SSS with MLSE using its substantial clout to make sure the Canadian media pays attention.

Just to add on the topic of TFC 'hype'....At the Usector/RPB MLS Cup viewing party recently, one of the MLS reps present was asked about MLSE's relationship with the CSA. The rep stated that there is an understanding between CSA and MLSE that MLSE will work to raise the profile of the MNT. The MNT coach will be based in BMO Field. BMO Field is within walking distance of CBC headquarters, did you guys know that? Thats an example of the potential we have here for raising the profile of soccer in this country. Mo Johnston said that there were 17 camera crews at the announcement of his hiring. He said he never faced that many cameras even when he was a star in Scotland. TFC has been in the news alot recently, which means that Canadian soccer has been in the news recently. I expect that this 'hype' is going to spread to the MNT what with the MNT playing matches in a downtown Toronto SSS with MLSE using its substantial clout to make sure the Canadian media pays attention.

I’ve heard spots on AM 640, Q107 & The Fan pushing season tickets for TFC. MLSE has partnerships with Rogers & Corus for Basketball & Hockey. They are using these partnerships to push season tickets and to raise awareness. I’ve also seen them advertise on the jumbo clock at a Raptors & Leafs game. Looks like they’re doing a decent job so far.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

You guys are doing a lot of tub thumping that isn't really merited as yet. I would say that fact that MLSE's TFC just last week passed on drafting one Cdn born player and drafted and then immediately relocated another in favour of a non-Cdn didn't do too much to raise the profile of CMNT. I'll be happy if they do in fact raise the profile of the CMNT but it's a little early to be crowing about it.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

You guys are doing a lot of tub thumping that isn't really merited as yet. I would say that fact that MLSE's TFC just last week passed on drafting one Cdn born player and drafted and then immediately relocated another in favour of a non-Cdn didn't do too much to raise the profile of CMNT. I'll be happy if they do in fact raise the profile of the CMNT but it's a little early to be crowing about it.

How would drafting Andy Williams (a Jamaican international) help raise the profile of the CMNT?

As for Serioux, it's unfortunate that TFC traded him (as I would have loved to have him play here), but there's no law which states that TFC has to pick up every available Canadian in MLS.

Besides, Toronto just brought back three CMNT players, and appear close to getting another (Greg Sutton). Add Jim Brennan in there, and we've already got 5 of 11 possible starters before the roster is set, plus the lion's share of developmental and youth players with be Canadian.

The fact that Reda, Braz, Pozniak and Brennan have all gotten a lot of press (much more than they would normally get) in Toronto is in fact raising the profile of the CMNT, at least here.

Right. There is no law that states that TFC has to pick up every available Cdn in MLS. But the fact remains, Serioux, not Irishman O'Brien, is a member of our CMNT and he was dealt away without any hesitation. I do believe that TFC will help our CMTNT "somewhat", but the statements I've heard from the CSA, media and supporters paint a rosier scenario that I highly doubt we'll see happen. Finally, when we actually get a coach, I suspect not all 5 of the players you mention will be part of the typical roster for our CMNT.

You're right, not everyone will be a starter for the Canadian men's team.

As for the statements from those various sources, all I've read/heard/seen was that TFC was a 'step in the right direction' for the pro game in this country, not the be all and end all solution.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

You're right, not everyone will be a starter for the Canadian men's team.

As for the statements from those various sources, all I've read/heard/seen was that TFC was a 'step in the right direction' for the pro game in this country, not the be all and end all solution.

Well the recently departed (praise be to Allah and the English fella at the helm of the CSA) Pipe, Messieurs Dobson and Forrest and countless others have, in numerous interviews, left the impression that the TFC entry will basically change the existing landscape of CONCACAF and Canada will reap huge benefits from the MLS team.

Pipe:

"For the Canadian Soccer Association, the immediate impact for us is apparent. It's going to allow our national team program, our national team players to play finally in Canada at a truly completely professional level that we haven't had yet to this time. We expect to see immediate improvement," he said."

I recall Gerry and Craig being equally enthusiastic when the TFC announcement was first made.

What hype exactly are you getting in BC about TFC?

Nothing locally, but by listening to the national media there is only one professional "football" canadian team therefore right now it is all TFC (mind you there are not al ot of stories coming out of the other culbs) I do hope TFC does well to increase awarness of "football" in Canada, but Vancouver and Montreal should not be left behind.

The fact that the national media is based out of Toronto, that it's the only club making news, that it's MLS and MLSE, etc. all combine to give it "hype".

Last season, no team had any sort of national coverage, so when one gets some, it makes them the only one. The Impact will remain regional in profile but its games on Radio-Canada should increase awareness elsewhere in Canada. We'll also have to see how they get covered by RDS now that it is no longer an official partner.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Stop grumbling, we're having a discussion about what might happen, based on the actorrs involved and staements from MLSE reps.

A *20-year* priority contract with a stadium in ONE city is clearly favoritism and impedes others, simple as that.

Oh my god, Daniel made a statement to which I agree.

Seriously, this is my only problem with this deal. Canada is far too large a country for a "National Stadium" and an exclusivity deal.

Great for Toronto though.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

And if you agree that the idea of a National Stadium is okay in Canada, the only choice for it is southern Ontario. Idealy the greater Toronto area. It puts 2 out of 3 Canadians within a day trip of events and it offers direct and cheap airfare for those of us further a-field.

If Canada were a soccer mad nation then yes, I agree. Otherwise, you only get the sort of folk posting here traveling to matches. Using the most liberal math, maybe 1 in 3 Canadians are within 5 hours drive. So more than likely a 2 day commitment. To think that more than a handful would fly to a match is pure folly.

Is a stadium needed in Toronto, of course, but not at the expense of matches in other regions. That does little to grow the sport in this country.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

Is a stadium needed in Toronto, of course, but not at the expense of matches in other regions. That does little to grow the sport in this country.

How does building an SSS and not scheduling games in it convince the next generation of Hargreaves and De Guzmans that Canada is serious about soccer and they should stay here?

Archived