Braz to sign with TFC Tuesday

Grizzly

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

How does building an SSS and not scheduling games in it convince the next generation of Hargreaves and De Guzmans that Canada is serious about soccer and they should stay here?

You really think that a fieldturf MLS stadium would keep the likes Hargreaves and De Guzman in the MNT fold??? Both of these guys seem to be after money and glory....again you think that BMO Field would counter that???

Sure there should be some matches there, but as I said in my other post, an exclusivity deal is the issue.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

You really think that a fieldturf MLS stadium would keep the likes Hargreaves and De Guzman in the MNT fold??? Both of these guys seem to be after money and glory....again you think that BMO Field would counter that???

Yes I do. Already a couple of Canadians have come back from Europe to play in this 'FieldTurf MLS stadium' lol.

Pardon my ignorance. Please confirm my understanding.

On the exclusivity agreement, is this not a 3-year exclusivity over Canada as a protected territory for the Toronto Franchise in the MLS? And what was the start date of the 3-year period? Is it from the date of the agreement or 3 years from the beginning of the first season?

My suspicion is from the date of the contract. Exclusivity deals only mean that if someone wants to enter the protected area before the 3-year period expires, there will need to be a negotiation on compensation. What other potential investors and cities will be ready to go in advance of the 3-year period? My final point is if it is an exclusivity arrangement around the MLS franchise, it will have been an agreement between MLS and MLSE. CSA would have little to do with that. I doubt that they would be a party to the contract.

On the issue of priority, what is the priority arrangement pertaining to? Is it between the MLS franchise and the Stadium? Or is it a priority on MNT games (in this case, how would this actually work in practice?)?

Again, without knowing myself, I would guess it would relate to priority use of the stadium by the MLS franchise. If that is the case, I doubt that it is any different than any other arrangement between public stadiums and arenas and their primary tenant. The stadium needs to be seen as a completely separate entity from the MLS franchise. The MLS franchise will have requirements that they need to meet in their franchise agreement with the league. A priority agreement with the stadium is likely one of those so I don't see it as anything different than what say the Edmonton Eskimos would have signed with the Commonwealth Stadium.

Then I admit that I have no clue as what these agreements actually are and would be interested in being informed by someone knows what these agreements really are.

I have question concerning how much players are being paid in the MSL?

Listenening to the Nov. 16 Sport 590 "Soccer Show" it was stated tha each can pay there players up to $4000000(I assume US$) per Player which is cover by the league in a Pool of all teams. Then why are their only a handful of player earning even close to that? Cannot a team paid 4-5 players per team close to that amount?

They were talking about the new "Beckham Rule" that they want impliment - that each team can have a Marquee player where the league covers the 1st $400000 and the club must cover the rest.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Yes I do. Already a couple of Canadians have come back from Europe to play in this 'FieldTurf MLS stadium' lol.

And how does that help us keep a De Guzman?

TFC is great for Toronto, marginally good for the MNT and of no use in retaining our players who seek fame and World Cups elsewhere. If they are going to leave, MLS is never going to change their mind.

MLSE struck a great deal for Toronto soccer. I think having TFC is great and I will enjoy when the Revs kick their ass.;) Be happy and enjoy it, just don't make it into this mystical force that will lead Canada to the World Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

Be happy and enjoy it, just don't make it into this mystical force that will lead Canada to the World Cup.

Last night I attended one of Mo Johnston's Pub Crawls at the Fox and Fiddle on Danforth Ave in Toronto. MLSE Prez Richard Peddie decided to show up, giving me the chance to speak to him face to face for a few minutes. He stated that MLSE's agreement with the CSA is not only to build up the TFC, but also to push the MNT into WC 2010. I am basing my optimism on what the head of Canada's heaviest-hitting sports conglomerate says he is going to do.... Also, I never stated we would get De Guzman back , I referred to **the next generation of Hargreaves and De Guzmans**, meaning, young kids who would have headed for europe in their teens and now have an option to stay in Canada.

I think the young kids "now having an option to stay in canada" will only come to fruition when we have at least 3 MLS teams. The spots are limited for Canadians on TFC and the cream of the crop will still play for Portsmouth youth/reserves before they'll play for an MLS club - until that league starts paying top dollar and is chalked full of beautiful SSStadia. Sure they'll cut their teeth locally in TFC's youth development program but after attending a tourny in ireland, scotland, spain or wherever will show their quality and Euro clubs will snatch them - and good for them.

Our Canadian national team won't see true dividends of the MLS until there are at least 20-30 canadians in the MLS.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I think the young kids "now having an option to stay in canada" will only come to fruition when we have at least 3 MLS teams. The spots are limited for Canadians on TFC and the cream of the crop will still play for Portsmouth youth/reserves before they'll play for an MLS club - until that league starts paying top dollar and is chalked full of beautiful SSStadia. Sure they'll cut their teeth locally in TFC's youth development program but after attending a tourny in ireland, scotland, spain or wherever will show their quality and Euro clubs will snatch them - and good for them.

Our Canadian national team won't see true dividends of the MLS until there are at least 20-30 canadians in the MLS.

I think its a decent start. I'm willing to give MLSE and the CSA a chance.

Archived