Candidates For Manager/TD

Thought I'd throw out some Euro *candidates*

Not totally random. Mostly from nations who have similar talent level and fiscal/geographical challenges, who are currently working and have some decent results under their belt:

1. Roy Hodgson -okay he was born in England, but seems to have become Scandinavian. Great resume, doing well with Finland, and should be able to relate to the challenges our players face. Granted, he's never won a match at Azteca, but I don't know many who have. Available? Not sure.

2. Srecko Katanec -don't know if this guy speaks English, but if you can cut it in Macedonia, you shouldn't be intimidated by Honduras. Seems to turn coal into diamonds. Available? How much money do we got?

3. Avraham Grant -Portsmouth's TD. Probably can't afford him, but he'd be worth talking to given his resume.

4. Walter Smith -not leaving Scotland now, but look what he's getting done in that ****e little country! I'd interview him to pick his brain anyway.

5. Lawrie Sanchez. Makes me nervous writing his name down, but he's done some good things with NI. 3-0 to Iceland is a bit disturbing though.

6. Hristo Stoichkov. Why not? He knows MLS, and he's getting it done with Bulgaria.

7. Victor Piturca. Why not? It's only a matter of time before he gets in another argument with one of his top players. It'll be much harder for him to argue with our boys given the language barrier.

8. Oleg Blokin. Okay, a neo-nazi is probably not the best candiate given our attempts to get JDG2 on board, but the guy gets results. Maybe he's just misunderstood?

We've talked about van't Schip and a bunch of other Dutch guys before. Most of them are likely out of our price range, although I guess we don't really know what that range actually is. I notice Clemente is only getting 360,000 euros from Serbia. We should be able to match that. Granted, he's said this is his lowest wage in years...

Any thoughts?

We missed out on Bora.

From www.worldsoccer.com

Veteran coach Bora Milutinovic has agreed to manage the Jamaican national team.

Milutinovic, the only man to coach five different teams at the World Cup, has agreed a four-year contract which will pay him $1 million a year.

The 62-year-old Milutinovic takes over from Carl Brown, who had been in charge for the past three months.

Milutinovic coached Mexico (1986), Costa Rica (1990), the United States (1994), Nigeria (1998) and China (2002) at the World Cup.

His most recent post was as a coach of the Honduras national team.

I like the Sturrock suggestion (for one thing, we'd have Devos back in if we made the hex I bet)...but he's at Swindon Town for the time being.

"After Sturrock's emotional departure from Sheffield Wednesday he proclaimed that he would accept the first job offered to him. It is rumoured that Scottish Premier League outfit Hibernian were a team interested. But after John Collins got the job it was only Swindon that made public interest in the Scotsman.

On November 7, 2006 [4] Sturrock was confirmed as Swindon boss with Kevin Summerfield and John Blackley following him from Wednesday."

wikipedia

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by nolando

I like the Sturrock suggestion (for one thing, we'd have Devos back in if we made the hex I bet)...but he's at Swindon Town for the time being.

"After Sturrock's emotional departure from Sheffield Wednesday he proclaimed that he would accept the first job offered to him. It is rumoured that Scottish Premier League outfit Hibernian were a team interested. But after John Collins got the job it was only Swindon that made public interest in the Scotsman.

On November 7, 2006 [4] Sturrock was confirmed as Swindon boss with Kevin Summerfield and John Blackley following him from Wednesday."

wikipedia

Oops... I didn't realise he was hired by Swindon.

Hate to continue with my doomsday theme...but are we gonna come up with anything close to the quality shortlists (and final selections) we have seen come out of the Jamaica, US, and Mexican coaching searches??

Will it matter?? Of course, the coach could have a very short resume and still be successful, but the professional approach that most of the top CONCACAF countries are taking (and have been taking in the past couple of cycles) is, to put it mildly, alarming. Watching our competition getting better and better while our program stays at the same amateurish level doesn't sit well with me. Bring on the quality replacements!

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

the question to ask is: Why would any good/experienced managers want to coach Canada?

(i cant think of one damn reason)

Money always seems to be a good motivator (not that I am assuming that we have any but if we do I am sure a lot of good coaches would be willing to coach Canada).

Emerson Leao is the coach responsible for Tevez and Mascherano leaving Corinthians for West Ham. Not sure if he is the right guy for Canada even though he has rescued Corintians from potential relegation. He is a Holger Osiek type.

If you are interested in a Brazilian coach, I would suggest looking at the second tier of Coaches because the top tier is a carousel of the same aging usual suspects. I think there are many higher quality coaches in their mid-40s looking for a breakthrough and trying to get onto the carousel. You would get even better quality for a better price looking at that group of Coaches.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

How about Emerson Leao? is he availiable??

Guest Jeffery S.

Could we please stop listing names of possible coaches/managers who are way too expensive for Canada? It is stupid, it is like suggesting the Impact sign Buffon next year: nice idea, ignorant about the economics though.

The only way Bora has been signed at Jamaica is with sponsorship money, his salary is being paid in good part by corporate partners. Can we do that in Canada, or do we want to?

We pay about a quarter of what he is making, and way below the normal salary for any top flight coach in a decent league. That is fine, I am sure we could find someone good for the price, ambitious, talented, but it will rarely be anyone anybody has ever heard of. And it may be better that way, since what we save on salary should really go to getting the team games in preparation for big tournaments and qualifying rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would post this name here. I only know of this name because of my following the rise of the GR Barueri in Brazilian soccer over the past 3 months or so (check in the World Soccer section of this forum).

Djair de Miranda Garcia

Garcia appears to be constantly looking for work and does post his coaching resume on various international sites (stumble on one of his postings a month or so back). He is currently the Tecnical Trainer (or Assistant Coach) at Gremio Recreativo Barueri. Given the unexpected success of GR Barueri, he may be a bargain basement selection for either TD or Head Coach.

http://www.freewebs.com/djairgarcia/

Then with their recent success, he may already be getting some offers.

Kevin: Yes, Colin Linford confirmed they were using an agency for the Technical Director position. I can not recall if this also applied for the manager's position. Linford strikes me as a more hands-on type for this type of position. However, the agency may be simply be used to weed out the candidates not fit for a final interview.

Expect Dale Mitchell to be offered the position as MNT coach. Expect the players on the MNT to be upset about this and rightly so.

Archived