Women's Team in Turmoil?

Breakwood

quote:Originally posted by Richard

There never was a lawsuit filed, only lawyers retained and threats to file uttered in the media. Since the CSA suggested striking an appeals committee for which there is provision in the CSA constitution, and later some talk by CSA president Colin Linford of mediation, the Hooper camp appears to have backed off the litigation route. Litigation can be ruinously expensive if you lose and finding a lawyer to take it on contingency is difficult unless you have a rock solid case. I doubt any litigation judge would be very sympathetic unless all other avenues of redress were exhausted first.

Since you seem quite conversant in this matter, have you hear if a date has been set by the CSA for the inquiry.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't there a required time period for a hearing? I am aware of appeal to CSA concerning a MSA (Manitoba Soccer Association)involving lawyers and the whole ball of wax and there a bond that had to be posted and a fixed time frame for presenting arguements and time for a ruling. Wouldn't this situation be similar? Is the CSA constitution and/or byelaws posted anywhere?

I believe the CSA constitution does require a bond be registered by whoever is lodging an appeal - a figure of $1,000 comes to mind. Not sure about a time limit. I don't really have the time or inclination to read all the fine print to figure this out but the constitution is all on the CSA website if somebody else is so inclined.

Don't know if it's been addressed, but La Presse is reporting that an anonymous Quebec U20 player was pressured to go to the Whitecaps as well.

One of:

Gagne, Adreanne

Labrecque, Justine

Perreault Morier, Marie-Emilie

Vanderpool, Caroline

Looks like all except Labrecque have played in the W-League.

No surprise that prospects are encouraged to play out west where the residential camps are being held. Makes eminent good sense, much easier for the coaching staff to monitor and influence their play plus they can participate in regular WNT team training and development. US Soccer does much the same with their WNT.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

The article makes it seem that her spot was/is in jeopardy without a move to VanCity.

Key words, "The article makes it seem that..."

No facts, only inferences from second or third hand information.

May be true but we don't really know, not until you talk to both parties directly and even then you might not be sure.

Key words, "The article makes it seem that..."

No facts, only inferences from second or third hand information.

May be true but we don't really know, not until you talk to both parties directly and even then you might not be sure.

I hope you do realize that is a fan board, Richard, not a court of law where guilt has to proved beyond a shadow of a doubt. Maybe you would be a good criminal lawyer:

Prosecuter: They were alone in the room and the deceased walked out with a knife in his back.

Richard as defence lawyer: There is no proof that my client stabbed the deceased. Possibly he stabbed himself. Maybe he fell on the knife. The theory that my client stabbed him is pure conjecture and inferences. Show me the proof.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Richard's point (I believe)is that the "facts" are not known and if we reach judgement now we are letting our own prejudices cloud our judgement. Most of us would not be allowed on the jury anyway. Let's see what the appeal decision says.

Well said.

I am a bit confused and maybe the lawyer-types in this board can clarify matters. There has been talk of a mediation, of an appeal and of an inquiry. The latest seems to be that Linford will initiate an inquiry after the GC. Can someone explain the legal and/or procedural differences between these three terms.

I am not a lawyer and this is not in any way an interpretation of the CSA constitutional provisions but in very brief general terms:

Mediation - binding or non-binding recommendation after both parties put their cases to an independent third party mediator. This is a classic labour dispute resolution technique.

Appeal - usually initiated by the complainant in accordance with a prescribed procedure involving an appeals committee or board struck by the CSA in this case, to hear the appeal by the complainant.

Enquiry - an internal investigation by one or more people designated by the CSA in this case, done at the initiative of the CSA.

Each of these is somewhat different from the other. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some quotes from Charmaine Hooper's website:

November 8th, 2006

Thanks a million to everyone for their continued support in this very difficult matter. I have received hundreds of letters of support and it continues to pour in. Once again thank you.

Prior to the past 3 weeks, we were hitting a dead end in our quest to have our concerns heard. We feel more positive now that Canadian Soccer Association President, Colin Linford, is looking for a new direction and has agreed to bring all parties together for a formal inquiry.

There are many issues that have developed over the past 6 months that need to be examined in great detail. These are issues that are not only relevant to our particular situation, but to all Canadians who enjoy all sports at every level.

Presently, we are awaiting the confirmation date for the inquiry and once that date is confirmed, my site will be updated. The future of sport rests in the pursuit of excellence.

November 21st, 2006

Just want to update the information regarding the situation involving Christine, Sharolta and myself. We have been advised that the CSA Executive Committee is reviewing this entire matter and they have decided to meet on Nov. 29. At that time, they will be setting a date for the inquiry. It will take some time to sort out this mess but we are happy that this process is moving ahead.

It's only a 'mess' because Hooper and the other two are not playing with the WNT and not being paid. If they had not skipped the China games they would not have been suspended and there would have been none of this. Mostly they have themselves to blame for the situation they find themselves in.

It's only a 'mess' because Hooper and the other two are not playing with the WNT and not being paid. If they had not skipped the China games they would not have been suspended and there would have been none of this. Mostly they have themselves to blame for the situation they find themselves in.

Another unbiased report. Thanks.

Let's find out why they decided to skip this game before condemning them for their decision. I can't believe they just decided to miss the game for the fun of it, so let's wait.

If their coach or someone else was doing something wrong maybe they were justified to act like that (just speculation).

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Another unbiased report. Thanks.

Not a report, how did you get that out of that three line post? I thought it was very obvious to most but clearly not you, that my post was nothing but an opinion and you're welcome to express one too.

Not a report, how did you get that out of that three line post? I thought it was very obvious to most but clearly not you, that my post was nothing but an opinion and you're welcome to express one too.

But do you agree that it vould be possible that the 3 players in question had very good reasons to withdraw from that game? If they're was too much pressure (I mean inapropriate approach) from the coach to play for a certain club, it maybe was the right thing to do.

I'm pretty neutral in this story (needing more info) but to say that the 3 players are responsible for this mess without knowing the whole story isn't very neutral IMO.

Archived