Women's Team in Turmoil?

Breakwood

Ed, I think there's a few areas in that post that would find me on shaky ground. I'm glad to see ISM still publishing, that you can actually get more canuck content - for half the price - than Soccer Three Sixty.

I'm puzzled by the folks at Soccer Three Sixty. Sure, its creative Art Director Tania Francescon deserves an award - outstanding eye candy- but I've bought every issue (I can't resist a canuck soccer publication), and I can't re-call 1 "essential" article. It's basically predictable re-hash,the first canuck soccer publication whose goal seems to be - turn a profit, not quided by perhaps a somewhat naive drive to actually say something. With ISM down on its luck, WFP keeping a low profile, you would think Editor Eddie Kehoe - who actually once wrote an article for ISM, that wasn't bad - would poach a Paul Hendren, Dennis Fitter, Ed Swain, see if Orville Reynolds is still breathing, tempt the gang at WFP - Jonathan Himsworth, Peter Ferris, Chris Griffiths, shoot them a few bucks - see if the best will write for his rag!

There seems to be a buzz going around Toronto FC, perhaps the Northboys will again surface, push out a fanzine - we could definitely use one.

I'm finally starting to work/ organize on publishing an "annual", hopefully by '08, giving me plenty of time to make sure it's not just a one issue debacle. It probably won't happen...but I'm looking at a once - a year publication that focuses strictly on our past, some lengthy articles, humour, that will not be "tainted" by my somewhat a-hole heaviness that I usually exhibit in my postings here. The beauty of exploring our history is that if a story is "shut -down" (non co-operation from a vital source), it's easy to move on to another issue, detour. I've got enough ideas -themes- to keep the rag going for about 7 years . Not to offend other publications, but I won't even start unless I can provide a pymt - probably small- to contributors. If I do reach a point where it's a go, Ed - with plenty of notice - I'll be requesting something from you.

I'm out of town for a while, so this is my last post.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big article about this in the Toronto Star today:

Link

quote:In Seoul, South Korea, Canada's current soccer sniper Christine Sinclair is leading the national team to victories in an international tournament.

Outside Chicago, a frustrated Charmaine Hooper — Canada's most accomplished soccer player — sits at home, with no place on the national team, no government funding and little support from her teammates.

All because, she says, she challenged the demands of a head coach.

Much more in the complete article.

Pellerud appeared to have some impressive coaching skills but it it is clear now the players made him look significantly better than he is.The fact that the most skilled and most experienced player Charmaine is a threat to him is inevitable. The more he protests and demands the more he exposes is impotence and ignorance of the game.

It is clear to most people with Canadian soccer experience the best choice is to take Charmaine and the other women over Pellerud. The other women have been manipulated and are in no position to comfortably express their true opinion because the fear of reprisal is too large.

The lack of clarity and seemingly endless confusion to the rules that the CSA implements on a daily basis are evident of their incompetence and likely their desire to manipulate them for their own personal agenda. Private funding, peronal funding, government funding, mixed up in the same bag all suit the purpose of manipulation very well wether it is right or wrong or should be changed is irrelevant to their cause.

The CSA has no desire to clarify and never has. If you have had the personal experience of seeing these people in action at AGM meetings or any other official functions you would comprehend their intentions pretty quickly.

The amount of "tactics" they employ are dumbfounding at these meeetings and their other addresses to the membership. Just read the other Canadian boards to see the result the CSA behaviour has had on its membership. It ranges from outright disgust to total embarassment. Most parents and kids have had it. The entire country is splintered and totally frustrated with the entire CSA and the people who run it.The fun is minimal, the interest is minimal, the desire is minmal, and the only passion I hear now is negative.Thats a grand result and the CSA must be very proud of it. The major majority of people left supporting it now are the people who are running it and this has been the case for decades.

The government and the membership need to review and change this entire organization.

Maybe ones of these public debacles will soon be the one to crumble this house of cards called the CSA.

What you are saying Fan is very true and I have experienced some of it myself or know first hand of other incredible unprofessional dealings.

I would like to see open elections for their key positions where each club in the country, both youth and seniors, have a vote. Where candidates need only the support of one district to enter the race. Right now I believe you must be a candidate nominated by the Province to enter the race. This is very restrictive and it leaves out competent and qualified individuals who can do a top job.

Anarchy is the only option to effect real changes. Any other approach to change is like trying to change the direction of an oil tanker under a head of steam with a canoe paddle. It ain't gonna happen. The old boys network will stifle any progressive change (let alone radical change) as fast as you can say Roberts Rules of Order. So you have to bypass the usual rules.

The top down approach is certainly more doable than effecting change from the bottom up.

I dont know about anarchy after anarchy any result is possible.Thats far too ambiguous for me. I do know that there needs to be a review and a enquiry into the entire structure of the CSA. Clarifying how it is operated from elected positions or appointed positions to funding and accountability to the people for all of the above.

I would urge everyone who cares about soccer in Canada to speak or write to the people who do have the authority to arbitrate the CSA and to reveal what they do know about the CSA.

However I would not get too excited I have tried most of the feasable and legal methods with several prominent people in Canada to little or no avail. However maybe sheer masses of large numbers of people in a democratic way would be more effective.

Most of the prominent people who love soccer in this country do their own thing totally outside the auspices of the CSA and most of the good players certainly dont participate with the CSA programs whenever they can avoid them. Which is a pretty condemming result of the actions of the CSA over the last 20 years.

Most of what the CSA is responsible for now is just babysitting players untill they become top players as teenagers and then the players will join independent soccer organizations in Canada or leave for professional clubs to be trained and educated in the game.

Unfortunately the Canadian parents and players who just want to enjoy the sport suffer and are national teams are embarassing and the sport of soccer in Canada is ruined.

So if masses can make a difference and their truly is a democratic procedure to the control of the CSA then there is a slim chance for change.The CSA has worked dilligently to ensure that the control is not democratic and to maintain a firm grip on the sport of soccer in Canada by the very small group who do run it and that is one thing I am very impressed with that the CSA has accomplished. Most of the people who work and run the CSA are good honest decent people who love the sport and want to contribute in any way they can, I was one of those people however these people are completely impotent and most likely totally ignorant of how the few people maintain control. But they do discover shortly that most of their attempts are stifled or ignored and most of them are intelligent enough to leave at that point.

A very sad result for such a great sport with such a passionate and wonderful group of people who only want to support it.

It is a bloody shame how Pellerud, Pipe and Meszaros have treated the Canadian icon who is Charmaine Hooper. You don't treat people this way. It is simply not Canadian and as far as I am concerned they owe Hooper, Latham and Nonen full restitution, reinstatement and a public apology and then resign.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

This thread has by far exceeded all 287 threads in the Women section for postings and views. It is a clear indication of the support and respect if not concern for these three players arbitrarely castigated by inept managers.

What?

I've seen both the 3 players and the CSA/Evan Pellerud being defended in this thread. I wouldn't use this thread as a proof of support for the 3 suspended players. It's the equivalent of saying that the recent success of our WNT in Korea is a proof that Pellerud was right in suspending the 3 players, ridiculous....

I, for myself, wait to have more infos to conclude anything in this crazy story.

I agree completetly with Loyola. Let's see how it plays out. We probably will never get ALL the "facts" but the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. I do think however that success removes much blame otherwise Billy Knight would have lost his job after a few years of coaching.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

What you are saying Fan is very true and I have experienced some of it myself or know first hand of other incredible unprofessional dealings.

I would like to see open elections for their key positions where each club in the country, both youth and seniors, have a vote. Where candidates need only the support of one district to enter the race. Right now I believe you must be a candidate nominated by the Province to enter the race. This is very restrictive and it leaves out competent and qualified individuals who can do a top job.

That's how it works all the way up the chain starting at club/district level all the way up through provincial to the national body. What democracy their is in the soccer infrastructure is extremely indirect. The only time grass roots people get to vote directly for any representatives is at the club level. Thereafter grassroots has no further say. This is not the fault of the CSA I hasten to add, the CSA is an association of provincial soccer bodies with a board of directors comprising in the main the presidents of the provincial associations.

Pellerud and Pipes ex peers have questions to answer still. They will be held accountable for whatever role they played in this sham.I wonder how supportive and silent Pipe will be about his ex peers now that he is gone and I am sure they are wondering exactly the same thing right now.

There never was a lawsuit filed, only lawyers retained and threats to file uttered in the media. Since the CSA suggested striking an appeals committee for which there is provision in the CSA constitution, and later some talk by CSA president Colin Linford of mediation, the Hooper camp appears to have backed off the litigation route. Litigation can be ruinously expensive if you lose and finding a lawyer to take it on contingency is difficult unless you have a rock solid case. I doubt any litigation judge would be very sympathetic unless all other avenues of redress were exhausted first.

Archived