Women's Team in Turmoil?

Breakwood

Yes, it is going to be interesting. As you say the team made a public statement taking a stand in support of Pellerud and those players who stuck with the program, and Hooper has made public statements to the effect she will not rejoin the team while Pellerud is coach. Dicy, especially for Hooper if Pellerud stays.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Fan,I guess we are drifting away from the girls issue.I have said so many times that it will be the girls that will put soccer on the front page,good or bad.This issue is a typical women's thing. We guys will never understand what really is going on. It will have to be the girls that will have to live with the verdict. No matter what it will be something like a little cancer Girls don't like loosing at all no matter what.The damage has been done.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ugly, ugly and more ugly garbage to deal with created by the CSA Pellerud and Kerfoot.What a wonderful, joyful,and competent experience it has been over the years.

The one thing the CSA can guarantee is more of this constant stream of garbage.

quote:Originally posted by fan

Just ugly, ugly and more ugly garbage to deal with created by the CSA Pellerud and Kerfoot.What a wonderful, joyful,and competent experience it has been over the years.

The one thing the CSA can guarantee is more of this constant stream of garbage.

Why do you include Kerfoot?

Kerfoot is involved and accused and hes part of this garbage orchestrated by the CSA. He is one of the rare Canadian rich soccer fans who was stupid enough to involve himself with Pipe and he put himself in the middle of this ugly garbage. Dont ask me ask him and Pelllerud and the CSA.

I will ask you because you are the one with a personal agenda. Every one of your posts reverts back to slamming someone at the CSA. You have expressed your opinion, which you have every right to do, but over and over and over again.

Personally, I think this whole issue stinks, but do not know who to blame. I feel for the girls and the Women's program, but the coach picks the team! I have never before heard of an arbitrator's board selecting a national team.

I ask you again. Why do you blame someone who is donating a significant amount of money to our National Team program? We are crying out for more like him. Perhaps with more like him, the CSA would be able to do more?

Judging from the article in the Toronto Star, it appears that the CSA has been playing musical players or something alike. I wonder what happened with the "transparency" promissed by Linford. I know I am biased in support of the players and have to wonder if the CSA has been giving the mushroom treatment to these three ladies, or is it a case that in the CSA headquarters some of the people handling this are not communicating with each other. What I find really puzzling is the reason given by the SDRCC for not mediating the dispute. That being that the CSA and players have not exhausted all the built-in ways of resolution. The players would not know all the venues the CSA has, but certainly the CSA does. So why would they refer the players and coach to the SDRCC knowing they had not exhausted all internal mechanisms to resolve the matter. No wonder the coach has remained silent. He probably knew the SDRCC was going to pass.

Anyone knows if the announced new residence training camp in Vancouver to start on the 15 will take place.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Judging from the article in the Toronto Star, it appears that the CSA has been playing musical players or something alike. I wonder what happened with the "transparency" promissed by Linford. I know I am biased in support of the players and have to wonder if the CSA has been giving the mushroom treatment to these three ladies, or is it a case that in the CSA headquarters some of the people handling this are not communicating with each other. What I find really puzzling is the reason given by the SDRCC for not mediating the dispute. That being that the CSA and players have not exhausted all the built-in ways of resolution. The players would not know all the venues the CSA has, but certainly the CSA does. So why would they refer the players and coach to the SDRCC knowing they had not exhausted all internal mechanisms to resolve the matter. No wonder the coach has remained silent. He probably knew the SDRCC was going to pass.

Anyone knows if the announced new residence training camp in Vancouver to start on the 15 will take place.

Clearly nobody in the media or in this forum has all the facts. Judgements are being made and some fairly strong opinions formed on partial information at best.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Clearly nobody in the media or in this forum has all the facts. Judgements are being made and some fairly strong opinions formed on partial information at best.

Based on your own premise you too cannot state categorically that "clearly nobody" has all the facts.

I doubt that the Toronto Star will publish something they did not verify with at least one or more other sources.

• 2 weeks later...

Women's soccer dispute back to square one

January 10, 2007

Lori Ewing

Canadian Press

"Hooper, who also plays for the New Jersey Wildcats of the W-league, has said she will not return to the national team as long as Even Pellerud remains coach."

Assuming Hooper was quoted correctly, she has pretty much stated her terms for 'negotiation' and with that sealed her fate. Her 'lose/lose' position left a small opening for Latham and Nonen to distance themselves from her and broker a deal for themselves. Pellerud would still need to be concerned about the risk of bringing them back on board - but I could see the CSA liking the optics of a reconciliation. The forementioned may be a moot point in any case. Latham and Nonen may have already missed the boat since Residency Camp started on January 21 without them.

At this point I expect the powers that be have already decided Canada's chances of doing well in China are far more contingent upon a focused residency camp than reconcilliation with 3 disgruntled players. The chances that any of the 3 get back on the squad diminish with each passing day.

"[Hooper] has said she will not return to the national team as long as Even Pellerud remains coach."

I too thought that pretty much closed the whole thing down. Probably why the CSA hasn't bothered to rush with any kind of reconciliation. There has been no sign that the CSA has any intention of dispensing with Evan pellerud's services at this relatively late stage plus the team has come out publicly in support of Pellerud and stated they are confident about going to the WC without the three disgruntled players. Seems Hooper and crew gambled and lost, nobody is indispensable.

Maybe gambled, or maybe just got fed up with people playing fast and free with the deck.

I read everywhere that these players are losers for not cowering to his holiness and his lies and shifty dealings. They're not the losers - we're the losers. Before they got tossed, the womens team played three summer warmups against the US, Sweden and Italy. Only five field players played a full 90 in every game. Booth, Sinclair and the three let go. But you don't read that in any CSA press releases.

I doubt you'll ever see any of them play for country again. I think the only way that happens is if someone flushes the whole dirty lot, and I doubt anyone has the cohones to do that. The only way that happens is via the courts, which I expect will go down, but not for a long time.

They'll probably get apologies and compensation, and the CSA will get a series of painful checks and balances and a 3rd party harness down their backs to make sure it doesn't happen again.

We lose. CSA loses. Pellerud walks away scott free. Hook, line and sinker. And a masterful job if I don't say so myself. I'll give him one thing. He's way ahead of the curve. Unfortunately, that curve isn't our national team. It's his self-interest.

"lies and shifty dealings"

Those are strong and perhaps libellous words, based on what corroborated hard evidence?

While the team continues to remain cohesive and perform reasonably well there is no reason for the CSA to take any action against the coach. Player selection is 100% the coach's prerogative, everybody knows that. And you can be sure that if there was indeed anything illegal, Hooper's legal counsel would have been pressing charges by now because a guilty verdict would make a civil case a slam dunk. Nothing even on the horison as yet.

And if the team does well at the WC in China, they and their coach will be feted and most people will regard the Hooper incident as a part of history, if they even remember.

---

"Those are strong and perhaps libellous words, based on what corroborated hard evidence?"

---

Hardly. Just following the news like you are.

---

"I think the fundamental error that Charmaine Hooper made was to assume that her place on the team was guaranteed secure and that she could call the shots. Well it obviously wasn't and she couldn't as she has learned to her cost."

---

The fundamental error with that logic is assuming she's motivated by a desire to play on that team over the seeing the right things happen to them.

She's been the doyen of Canadian women's soccer for a decade now. Who do you think stands up and calls out injustice? A young twenty-something out to build a career? No, that's not the way life works, and I doubt very much Charmaine herself would have stood up in the 80's.

I'm not surprised by any of this. It's a Shakespearean stage that's been played out thousands of times before. The only real surprising thing is the characters of Latham and Nonen. Very rarely do you see people that young making decisions that mature. What true character, and what a tragic loss for us there.

Required viewing for every player on the WNT:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113956/

Track it down girls. Make a difference.

You nailed it Vic thats been their strategy all along.

Richard

quote:Those are strong and perhaps libellous words, based on what corroborated hard evidence?

My Richard is a lawyer. Richard how much do you charge? You figured things out so precisely legally speaking.Careful Vic didnt you hear Richard,s warning?

Take him up on it Vic see if you can get Pellerud, Kerfoot and the CSA to try to sue you in court for liable. I can just see them all running to court now to debate this in court. That would be an excellent day but it wont happen unfortunately.The last thing those people will want to do is debate this leagally or informally anywhere right now.

Maybe you will face Richard as lawyer for the CSA.

Did you call the CSA a liar Mr Vic?

Did you accuse the CSA of shifty dealings Mr Vic?

Lets discuss and debate these accusations and slanderous comments.

What do you think Richard? Can you call these people and see if their interested in this?

That is exactly what the whole case is about Richard,these are the questions being asked by the women involved about Pellerud, Kerfoot and the CSA.

Were there shifty dealings?

Was there anything illegal about what these people did if not just reprehensible?

Should these people be reprimanded?

Should the CSA change its policies or create new more defined ones?

So not only are you redundant but you want to threaten people with libel who repeat the same accusations. Put your glasses on man.

Richard

quote:And you can be sure that if there was indeed anything illegal, Hooper's legal counsel would have been pressing charges by now because a guilty verdict would make a civil case a slam dunk. Nothing even on the horison as yet.
Thats just dumb Richard are you awake? They clearly stated and were told and wanted to see if the matter could be resolved out of court first then if not as is the case now, they will pursue legal avenues.

This situation needs to be reviewed and hopefully it will be in court to determine what reprehensible actions happened and make the people involved accountable.

Yes the CSA have ruined another excellent opportunity to promote and foster our sport instead we get this crap.

I sincerely doubt this affair will ever make it to court. Apart from a few Voyageurs here who are overly sensitive to what has transpired, the public is fickle. Once the WNT does reasonably well in China they will be feted by the media and the public and Hooper and crew will be relagated to history. There is no question Charmaine Hooper has earned her place in Canadian soccer hsitory, both on and unfortunately for her, off the field. Like many who have gone before her she made a positive contribution, but her time has now passed, largely due to her own actions.

Archived