ENGLAND 0 CROATIA 2

Forza_Italia

I think Croatia showed the most overhyped team in the world on how to play soccer. They kept attacking and showed no fear in this match. I was once told on another messageboard that England, player for player have the best team in the world better than France and Italy. That is far from true.. how can a team who has never won anything in over 40 years claim to have the best anything?? I think with a hiddink coached Russia, Croatia and Isreal in the group England will find it hard to qualify IF they qualify.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Forza_Italia

I think Croatia showed the most overhyped team in the world on how to play soccer. They kept attacking and showed no fear in this match. I was once told on another messageboard that England, player for player have the best team in the world better than France and Italy.

Well, Brasil is better player for player. But England is clearly better on paper than Italy. They just suck as a team-unit and have crappy managers.

quote:

That is far from true.. how can a team who has never won anything in over 40 years claim to have the best anything?? I think with a hiddink coached Russia, Croatia and Isreal in the group England will find it hard to qualify IF they qualify.

In your gleeful attempt to be a total spod, you forgot to look-up when was the last time Croatia lost at home!? Yup, 31 matches ago.

In other words, probably every team in that group will drop points in Croatia. I am no England-fan but this result doesn't really change the reality that England and Croatia are massive favorites to progress to Euro 2008 from this group.

No its my attempt to be totally honest. Explain to me how England are better than Italy on Paper? Brasil are way better than England on paper which is why they have 3 world cups in the past 40 years. I dont see England's excuse. Brazil dont really play GREAT as a team either but they still win. FACT is the english players arent that special. What makes the English league so good is the foreign players. The best teams in England hardly have English players on them. At least Milan has a minimum of 8 players that are Italian.

Italians have a better goalie

Defence

and forwards

No its my attempt to be totally honest. Explain to me how England are better than Italy on Paper?

If you were gonna start a team and had to choose only Italian or English players, you'd have to say that the first 3 players picked would all be English (Gerrard, Rooney, Terry).

Not much room for argument there. ;)

quote:

Brasil are way better than England on paper which is why they have 3 world cups in the past 40 years.

Are you talking about today or about 40 years ago? Pick an argument and stick with it.

quote:

I dont see England's excuse. Brazil dont really play GREAT as a team either but they still win. FACT is the english players arent that special.

Overall, probably not. But their starting 11 is impressive. You can't deny that.

quote:

What makes the English league so good is the foreign players. The best teams in England hardly have English players on them.

Ever heard of this team called Chelsea?

quote:

Italians have a better goalie

Defence

and forwards

Nope. England has better defenders clearly.

You're having a giraffe!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

If you were gonna start a team and had to choose only Italian or English players, you'd have to say that the first 3 players picked would all be English (Gerrard, Rooney, Terry).

ya rooney who blew it in the world cup,Terry was no where to be found

and Gerrard was not to bad

Are you talking about today or about 40 years ago? Pick an argument and stick with it.

Italy in the last 40 years have been better than England

so I will stick to that

Overall, probably not. But their starting 11 is impressive. You can't deny that.

Ever heard of this team called Chelsea?

yes ever seen there starting lineup or team???

1 Petr Cech 3 Ashley Cole 4 Claude Makelele

5 Michael Essien 6 Alberto Ricardo Carvalho 7 Andriy Shevchenko

8 Frank Lampard 9 Khalid Boulahrouz 10 Joe Cole

11 Didier Drogba 12 Mikel Obi 13 Michael Ballack

14 Njitap Geremi 16 Arjen Robben 18

19 Lassana Diarra 20 Renato Paulo Ferreira 21 Salomon Kalou

23 Carlo Cudicini 24 Shaun Wright-Phillips 26 John Terry

40 Henrique Hilario 44 Michael Mancienne

Nope. England has better defenders clearly.

You're having a giraffe!

you must have been drinking, Italy let 2 goals in all World cup and won

you let 2 goals in vs sweden alone

England is overated, and overhyped. Gerrard is good and rooney is good. Not great but good after that nothing much really. There results clearly show that they are not that good of a team. English fans are the most annoying along with the US, because they always think there teams are way better than they are

[br

ya rooney who blew it in the world cup,Terry was no where to be found

and Gerrard was not to bad

Rooney was injured and the last major tournament he played in (Euro 2004) he was a revelation. How did Italy do that tournament, BTW?

quote:

What makes the English league so good is the foreign players. The best teams in England hardly have English players on them. yes ever seen there starting lineup or team???

1 Petr Cech 3 Ashley Cole 4 Claude Makelele

5 Michael Essien 6 Alberto Ricardo Carvalho 7 Andriy Shevchenko

8 Frank Lampard 9 Khalid Boulahrouz 10 Joe Cole

11 Didier Drogba 12 Mikel Obi 13 Michael Ballack

14 Njitap Geremi 16 Arjen Robben 18

19 Lassana Diarra 20 Renato Paulo Ferreira 21 Salomon Kalou

23 Carlo Cudicini 24 Shaun Wright-Phillips 26 John Terry

40 Henrique Hilario 44 Michael Mancienne

And which players led them to the title last year? Terry, Lampard and Joe Cole were their 3 best.

quote:

Like i said, as a team with that manager, they're not that good. But on paper, England have better defence. In fact, that's their strength. Just the fact that you concede that England has a better midfield than Italy, and then say Italy has a better defense, shows how clueless you really are. :D

and when did I say England had a better midfield??? and you were the one that said chelsea was full of English players.. HAHA if that were the case they would be in last place

quote:Originally posted by Soccerpro

England are like the Toronto Maple Leafs of a few years ago, not terrible, but not really good either, just always talked about because the media has nothing else to do.

Ya the only Difference is that leaf fans are realistic and recognize that they havent won in 40 years. They also know they have nothing to be arrogant about.

It's funny for years I have been preaching,control the ball and pass the ball. What the England keeper did was a comic disaster.I also believe that the player who passes the ball does it with the least amount of spin or roll.Gary Nevill passed the ball back in a careless matter and since there was that top spin the ball took a bounce on the chalk line,while the goallie never ever contemplated to control the ball first.

Numerous little errors that made the big one happen.

Great training video for the rest of the world, but I really feel very bad for my English friends. What a huge disaster,I mean huge.

This guy Robinson will never ever play for England again.He made a simular mistake some games ago.The writing was on the wall than!

Really? I'd love to manage against you. Give me Buffon,Cannavaro,and Pirlo,any day.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

It's funny for years I have been preaching,control the ball and pass the ball. What the England keeper did was a comic disaster.I also believe that the player who passes the ball does it with the least amount of spin or roll.Gary Nevill passed the ball back in a careless matter and since there was that top spin the ball took a bounce on the chalk line,while the goallie never ever contemplated to control the ball first.

Numerous little errors that made the big one happen.

Great training video for the rest of the world, but I really feel very bad for my English friends. What a huge disaster,I mean huge.

This guy Robinson will never ever play for England again.He made a simular mistake some games ago.The writing was on the wall than!

Uhhh... huge mistake? Robinson will be playing for England in their very next match, i assure you.

IT came down to a sh!te pitch, nothing more. Kinda like what they have in Italian stadiums. [8D]

I think if its jsut england/italy:

Buffon is a definate

Cannavaro ahead of Terry

But i think Gerrard brings more than Pirlo to the table. Gerrard can offer many of the same defence spliting passes that pirlo can, but Gerrard scores more goals and can add a bit more to a team than pirlo can.

If rooney was on form like back in Euro 2004 i htink he would get a shout too, but at the min, no way.

and when did I say England had a better midfield??? and you were the one that said chelsea was full of English players.. HAHA if that were the case they would be in last place

Right there above you wrote:

"Italians have a better goalie

Defence

and forwards"

Looks like you conceided the midfield to England. Can't blame you though.

Oh yeah, and Chelsea would be last place without the great work of Shevchenko, Ballack, Robben , eh? You are a lovely muppet! The core of that team is Cole, Lampard and Terry. *FACT* Those so-called international superstars that fill-out the rest of that club have been inconsistent at best. Yes, they do help. But how is that different than the foreiners playing for Milan, Inter or Juventus? Barca or Real MAdrid?

Care to enlighten us??

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Really? I'd love to manage against you. Give me Buffon,Cannavaro,and Pirlo,any day.

And you'd lose of course. I stopped reading your post as soon as you mentioned Buffon.

Yes, he is a world-class 'keeper. But you don't start a team with a goalkeeper. This isn't hockey, mate! [:o)]

Did you ever wonder why there are many world-class goalkeepers in their prime who are still playing for minnow clubs and/or in feader leagues?? It's because a world-class goalkeeper doesn't add as much to your team as a world-class midfielder, striker or defender.

PS... okay, i lied. I kept reading your post after you mentioned Buffon. Pirlo over Gerrard? I heard the weed in B.C. was awesome! You are living proof! :D

And you'd lose of course. I stopped reading your post as soon as you mentioned Buffon.

Yes, he is a world-class 'keeper. But you don't start a team with a goalkeeper. This isn't hockey, mate! [:o)]

Did you ever wonder why there are many world-class goalkeepers in their prime who are still playing for minnow clubs and/or in feader leagues?? It's because a world-class goalkeeper doesn't add as much to your team as a world-class midfielder, striker or defender.

PS... okay, i lied. I kept reading your post after you mentioned Buffon. Pirlo over Gerrard? I heard the weed in B.C. was awesome! You are living proof! :D

Why dont you look at how many Italians play on Milan and how many CL they won and league titles, the core is Italian with foreign help not the other way around, If English players are so good they would have won the world cup. at least Italy proved that the players can get the job done and win, for the 4th time :)

Archived