CSA: Roster for Jamaica

Winnipeg Fury

You can't tell me there isn't a single young USL player in the League that could have suited up for Canada. Not a Europe-based player, because that would have been nearly impossible, but somebody?? Is this "development" league of ours THAT pisspoor at developing Canadian talent? I don't follow the USL enough (especially not from Japan) but come on, are there only 30 y/o prospects??

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

nash won't play. odds of any player that had called also would not play. he was cover. pure and simple. relax.

Plus he was available. This also gives a tip of the hat to the USL champions considering the callups from the Impact. Politics gets into everything.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

CSA ADDS NASH to the Jamaica friendly

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2547

Brilliant move by the CSA. Nash's brother played soccer as a youngster and, using the skills he learned from soccer, has become one of the greatest basketball players in the world. If Martin also played soccer as a kid, think of how good a soccer player he must now be.

Although I think the younger blood should be getting games, I would like to see Nash start this game in midfield. He looked really good in the last few USL games. He has great vision in midfield, and I think he would be great to feed the ball to our strikers. I would be interested to see Nash in midfield with Radzinski and Friend at the front.

Screw that, Hutch in the middle, his natural position where he NEVER plays!

As for politics etc., would you be singing the same tune if this game had taken place at the semi-final stage of the USL playoffs? He was pretty much the only USL player still in game shape that could be picked in midfield for the national team.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Politics aside, there are a lot more Cdn players to choose from the Impact lineup than from the Lilley version of the Whitecaps.

And the ratio of callups is 3:1 if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, USLD1 is professional sports business - player nationality is irrelevant.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

USLD1 is professional sports business - player nationality is irrelevant.

that's a shame isn't it? i'd love to see fifa implement a nationaly requirement. i don't know......6 players from the country required on the park. different debate. just ignore me.

I agree. Just look at what has happened in the EPL and some of the European leagues. But until there is a ruling from FIFA, pro clubs will sign whomever they can afford and believe will help them win games and put bums in seats. Developing players for national teams is NOT the responsibility of pro clubs.

Plus he was available. This also gives a tip of the hat to the USL champions considering the callups from the Impact. Politics gets into everything.

I am a bit disappointed. Are we saying that Nash got called not because he is a very good player, but simply because it looks good politically. Who else is there for political reasons?

I did not mean to suggest that the only reason Nash was called up was political, just that it was possibly a consideration. He is certainly more match fit than Jim Brennan, very likely available on short notice, has performed well with the Whitecaps in the last several matches and is an experienced international player.

Certainly it might seem strange to some that three players from the club knocked out of the semi-finals by the Whitecaps are selected over all the Canadian Whitecaps players in the reigning USL championship club.

Certainly it might seem strange to some that three players from the club knocked out of the semi-finals by the Whitecaps are selected over all the Canadian Whitecaps players in the reigning USL championship club.

When you consider their respective positions in the regular season, their defensive record and experience with the national team, it doesn't. It might seem strange to people who don't follow the national team, but since when do we care about them? ;)

I did not mean to suggest that the only reason Nash was called up was political, just that it was possibly a consideration. He is certainly more match fit than Jim Brennan, very likely available on short notice, has performed well with the Whitecaps in the last several matches and is an experienced international player.

Well how many Cdns played in the semi-finals and final for the Whitecaps? Clarke, who has represented Canada, and Lyall are both in or close to their 30's and. Valente hasn't seen much international level soccer. Nash gets the nod but I doubt he'll play against the speedy Jamaicans. The only one I can see would be perhaps Kindel taking Braz's spot at right back (assuming Stalteri in not at right back).

Archived