Canadians abroad: August 4-10, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Wednesday, August 9

8:00 PM on FSWC — United States: Major League Soccer

Houston (Dwayne de Rosario, Pat Onstad, Adrian Serioux) vs. Los Angeles (Ante Jazic)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for August 4-10, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Your favourite cola-sponsored league is underway!

- Hume is taken off in the 55th minute with Leicester trailing 1-0 away to Luton. Luton win 2-0.

In play:

- Bircham is on the bench as QPR travel to Burnley.

- De Vos and Peters start as Ipswich host Palace.

ummm, is that it? I feel like I'm missing someone. Brennan's not in this division any more. Neither is Simpson. I guess that's it!

Dwayne De Rosario starts for MLS All-Stars vs. Chelsea, and proceeds to score the winning goal in the 70th minute. (And what a great goal it was. De Ro receive a pass with his back to goal, controlled, turned and fired a blast into the top right corner of the net.)

1-0 MLS.

De Ro was just named man of the match as well.

In Norway's Eliteserien, it was an active day for our Canucks:

Tromso saw all 3 Canadians on the field. TIL let a lead slip and allowed a late PK for Sandfjord, who tied the match 2-2.

Stamatopolous & Bernier played the full match for TIL, while Ademolu was a late sub.

TIL recently had a coaching change, and it's felt that Ademolu will now get more playing time.

Grande returns to the starting squad of Molde, who lose 2-0 to Lyn. Grande plays 63 minutes. No sign of Lyn's young Canadian.

Gerba plays 90 for Odd Grenland in a 0-1 loss to Stabaek.

No sign of Occean in a 2-1 victory over Viking.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Peschisolido scores in the 89th minute to give Derby the 2-2 tie against Southampton. He came on late in the 2nd half, maybe with 5 minutes left in the game.

Pesch continues to get it the job done after all these years. Wonder if we've seen the last of him on Canadian soil?

Pompey Step Up Search

164 words

5 August 2006

Derby Evening Telegraph

English

© 2006 Evening Telegraph

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp is stepping up his search for a new goalkeeper after Jamie Ashdown was ruled out for six weeks with a broken thumb.

Ashdown underwent surgery on Monday night after damaging the thumb while catching a ball in training.

The injury leaves Dean Kiely and untried youngsters Nick Jordan and Asmir Begovic as the only goalkeepers at the club.

Redknapp was linked with Scott Carson, the Liverpool reserve keeper and former Poland number one Jerzy Dudek - another back-up for Anfield number one Jose Reina.

Ashdown, bought for a tribunal-fixed fee from Reading two years ago, was installed as number one Pompey goalkeeper last August and made 18 appearances before Redknapp paid Charlton £500,000 for Kiely following a 5-0 defeat at Birmingham.

Kiely was ruled out with a suspected broken finger in one of Pompey's early pre-season games but the injury was discovered to be less serious and he has resumed playing.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Pesch continues to get it the job done after all these years. Wonder if we've seen the last of him on Canadian soil?

Hopefully in club dress or for a memorial game, but not with the senior Nats, and not when it counts.

This is from BBC Sports quotes of the week:

"As soon as I saw him going on I thought 'oh no, he's a little b*****'"

Southampton boss George Burley reacts to Derby sending on Paul Peschisolido as a sub with seven minutes to go in their Championship opener. Peschisolido promptly popped up to get a last-minute equaliser... the little b*****.

re: "Pesky" Peschisolido. His days as a starter for Canada are pretty much over. I hope we do see him again as the odd time as a late game sub as long as he stays healthy, in form and is playing at a decent level.

One thing for sure, I would like to see a testimonial match for him and guys such as Jason deVos here on Canadian soil.

By the way, I've been coming to this site since 1999 and I haven't posted much the past 3 years because there has been far too much negative crap between various posters-ie: flame wars, sarcastic pissing matches, petty arguments and so on.

take care,

Dave C

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I would like to see Pesch play a year or two for TFC. He is one of the more recognizable (even if by name only) Canadian players. Doubt it would happen, though. His roots are too deep in the UK.

On a recent interview Pesch said that he would be honored to be coaching Canada MNT, so I would say that maybe he wouldn't mind playing 1 or 2 years with TFC and living with his family in Canada for a while.

That interview was with Regs (takethepiss) I think.

I don't know about head coach but pesch as our striker coach would be a dream, maybe he could influence Dero with his calm collected demeanor, cause honestly thats all most of our attackers lack, the cool finish which is really all pesch has got and whichis probably the most important attribute.

Archived