New World Cup Men's Coach?

patdymond

quote:Originally posted by Chet

Secondly, it has to be someone who is fluent in English (with French a definite asset). A national team coach not only has to be able to communicate cleary with the players, he also has to handle the media. We would not want anyone whose English is any worse than Holger's was. Sadly, that rules out many talented foreign coaches.

Yeah cuz Guus Hiddink was so fluent in Korean.

Hire the best coach that is available regardless of where he comes from.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest speedmonk42

Mitchell should take his time. He is very likely in time to become Canada's coach, but I hope he takes a long path to the position.

I think rushing into the MNT would be a mistake for him and us.

quote:Originally posted by pstain

Yeah cuz Guus Hiddink was so fluent in Korean.

Hire the best coach that is available regardless of where he comes from.

I'd guess that he had a full-time translator assigned to him. Which Canada could afford if we were co-hosting the World Cup.

Secondly, it has to be someone who is fluent in English (with French a definite asset). A national team coach not only has to be able to communicate cleary with the players, he also has to handle the media. We would not want anyone whose English is any worse than Holger's was. Sadly, that rules out many talented foreign coaches.

I had the opportunity to chat with Holger on several occasions and his English, while obviously accented, was quite good. Perhaps his vocabulary was slightly limited compared to those of us for whom English is a first language but Holger's English was just fine.

db

Success at the professional level is only slightly relevant to coaching the Canadian MNT. A club coach is with his players every day. There is lots of time to get to know the player's idiosycracies. Lots of time to teach skills, strategy, formations and set plays.

Most importantly, there is time for the players to become familiar with each other. A club coach has the luxury of allowing the team's style to evolve around the players' individual skills.

A Canadian MNT coach will only see his players three to six times a year, with hopefully a two to four day training camp each time. Our best players may only be available twice a year and will often have to miss the training camps. That's the reality. And I don't think there's anything the CSA can do about it.

That difference is why Yallop quit, and why I think any professional team coach who has never coached a national team is likely to find the job frustrating.

A national team coach has to be someone who will implement a clearly defined system, who will emphasize tactics over individual skill. He will have to command enough respect to get players to follow instructions. He will have be a strict disciplinarian. That may piss off a few players, but with so little time to get to know each other, you simply can't have any player acting unpredictably on the field. You need a system in which, if a regular starter is missing due to injury or yellow/red cards, their replacement can be put on the field without having to adjust the style of play.

Finally, I think whoever the CSA chooses has to be signed to a long-term contract. At least four years - the full World Cup cycle. The debacle caused by Osieck's departure on the eve of the last WCQ can not be repeated. The CSA has to stand by their coach for the full term, no matter what any player, fan or journalist may have to say about it. The coach, likewise, should not be allowed to quit in midstream without some financial penalty.

Good comments...very thoughtful ideas, but I disagree about an English speaker being an absolute necessity rather than simply an asset...Troussier took Japan to the second round in 02 with not a lick of Japanese, in a country much more xenophobic and nationalistic and protective of their language than Canada. Also, the media interest in soccer in Japan is massive - it might be wishful thinking to say that Canada's next coach would need a full-time translator for the media, since there is so little interest in the beautiful game.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Also, the media interest in soccer in Japan is massive - it might be wishful thinking to say that Canada's next coach would need a full-time translator for the media, since there is so little interest in the Canadian game.

Corrected that for you.

There's tons of interest in soccer here, just not Canadian soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Hahaha... ummmm.... no. [8)]

As much as I hate Hargreaves, it was nice to see that he had another great game. If word gets out that he's really a Canuck, it could like almost help us. Half of me was hoping he'd score a goal, rip off his shirt and have a big "Happy Canada Day" tshirt on underneath. That would pretty much be the only thing that would have almost righted the wrong he did.

Oh, and Sven for next National team Manager.

Well, we're a week away from the Jamaica friendly and still no word. As has been mentioned I don't think there's any particular rush for anything other than a caretaker coach right now but even if that is the coarse of action, it would be nice to know who's going to steer the ship in the mean time and if they're going to carry on in Yallop's fashions or strike out a bit more on their own.

What I mean by that is even as a caretaker coach you can have some long term impact, good and bad, on the senior MNT program which your successor will either inherit or have to deal with (depends on point of view).

So, to make a short post even longer, working with the assumptions A). There is going to be a caretaker coach for a bit at least. B). It's likely that a caretaker coach will have to be someone from within the CSA, or working in elements closely alighned to the CSA. That C). A don't rock the ship, play it safe, more of the same old same old, sort of approach will be required?

Not that there's anything especially wrong with that, excepting it does limit/handicap the caretakers ability to make enough of an impression during his extended "job interview" as to warrant honest consideration.

Sorry, made a hash of that. Ment to write the match against the US is a week away and I'd hoped to have heard something about what the immediate future (at least) holds for the senior MNT program.

Although with the media attention the match should draw, that may provide a good background for some sort of announcement. Although I also see there's a news conference on July 4th. So who knows?

I just think it's odd that there hasn't been any indication as to what is going on with the MNT since Frank Yallop left the ship. No announcement that Bob, or Bruce or Suzy would be attenting to matters until such time as tenders for a permenent replacement could be advertised.

Nothing. It's as if the program has just disappeared entirely off the CSA radar. And here we have this U20 friendly coming up, which to me anyway, just highlights where the entire, narrowing, focus of the CSA is targeted while senior MNT is put up on the shelf.

Anyway, hoping something, anything is made available by then (July 7th, the next signature football event put on by the CSA).

Can you imagine things being in limbo like this down in the USSF when Arena finaly gets canned. Yeah, right.

This phrase at the end of the CSA release about FY leaving should help you:

"Canada’s search for Yallop’s replacement will begin immediately."

Plus, there was a post by someone who contacted Morgan Quary a week ago and Morgan said something like "we're hoping to have a new coach in 10 days."

After some reflection and a little research I'll concede, Pstain and Nolando are probably right.

There are a lot of national team coaches who don't speak the native language of the countries whose teams they coach: Advocaat in South Korea, Zico in Japan, Branko Ivankovic in Iran. It doesn't seem to be an obstacle, at least not an insurmountable one. Those coaches have probably helped their teams more than any domestic coach would have.

You don't need a huge vocabulary to talk football. The language skill you would need could probably be learned within a month or two.

English is an asset, but not a necessity.

From that ever-so-reliable source - News of the World:

Sport

Colin can do;Football;Exposed

99 words

11 June 2006

The News of the World

Scotland 79

English

© 2006 News Group Newspapers. All rights reserved

FORMER Rangers and Hearts defender Colin Miller is on the shortlist to be new boss of Canada.

Frank Yallop quit to take over MLS side L.A. Galaxy last week and Miller is in the running to replace him along with Under-20 coach Dale Mitchell.

Miller won 61 Canadian caps and also had a spell as Hamilton Accies boss.

He said: "I feel I'm more ready now than I was when I was in Scotland and I'd be very interested in the national job."

© News of the World, 2006

After some reflection and a little research I'll concede, Pstain and Nolando are probably right.

There are a lot of national team coaches who don't speak the native language of the countries whose teams they coach: Advocaat in South Korea, Zico in Japan, Branko Ivankovic in Iran. It doesn't seem to be an obstacle, at least not an insurmountable one. Those coaches have probably helped their teams more than any domestic coach would have.

You don't need a huge vocabulary to talk football. The language skill you would need could probably be learned within a month or two.

English is an asset, but not a necessity.

Zico played in Japan for 3 years so he would certainly know great deal of Japanese.

I believe Zico doesn't speak Japanese. I saw a World Cup preview show where he was asked about this. His response was along the lines of "But my friend here is my translator, and if I learned how to speak Japanese then he would be out of a job - and we wouldn't want that, would we?"

They showed some clips of him giving instructions to his team in Portuguese.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

From that ever-so-reliable source - News of the World:

11 June 2006

The News of the World Scotland 79

© 2006 News Group Newspapers. All rights reserved

FORMER Rangers and Hearts defender Colin Miller is on the shortlist to be new boss of Canada.

Frank Yallop quit to take over MLS side L.A. Galaxy last week and Miller is in the running to replace him along with Under-20 coach Dale Mitchell.

Miller won 61 Canadian caps and also had a spell as Hamilton Accies boss.

He said: "I feel I'm more ready now than I was when I was in Scotland and I'd be very interested in the national job."

© News of the World, 2006

Thats all we need, a mediocre Canadian who played in Scotland replacing a mediocre Canadian who played in Scotland. I hope the CSA opens its eyes and realizes that British soccer is not very good, and hires a coach who speaks soccer rather than English. Crappy coaches produce crappy results.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Thats all we need, a mediocre Canadian who played in Scotland replacing a mediocre Canadian who played in Scotland. I hope the CSA opens its eyes and realizes that British soccer is not very good, and hires a coach who speaks soccer rather than English. Crappy coaches produce crappy results.

Self-answering Question

Since when does the CSA work for something satisfactory?

Self-answering Question

quote:Originally posted by analyst

I think we should judge the coach on his quality not what country he comes from or where he played. There are good english coaches and poor english coaches just like there are good Dutch/Brazilian coaches and poor Dutch/Brazilian coaches. That being said I don't see what qualifies Miller for the post other than his being a former national team player and we have gone down that road numerous times without success. Mitchell certainly has other qualifications besides his national team career and at least is a valid candidate though maybe not the number one choice. Surprised News of the World is even interested enough in the Canadian job to post hopefully inaccurate info. Klinsman to the US seems a lot more valid choice than Yallop. Hiddink by the way is being paid 4.5 million in Russia.

Archived