New World Cup Men's Coach?

patdymond

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Thats all we need, a mediocre Canadian who played in Scotland replacing a mediocre Canadian who played in Scotland. I hope the CSA opens its eyes and realizes that British soccer is not very good, and hires a coach who speaks soccer rather than English. Crappy coaches produce crappy results.

I think we should judge the coach on his quality not what country he comes from or where he played.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The three coaches you mention probably are better qualified than Miller (who if he is truly on the short list is hopefully only there as a gesture of appreciation for past service). I still wouldn't feel comfortable with any of them being chosen for the senior Men's team position. They might be good hires at the youth or regional levels and given a chance to work their way up.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The three coaches you mention probably are better qualified than Miller (who if he is truly on the short list is hopefully only there as a gesture of appreciation for past service). I still wouldn't feel comfortable with any of them being chosen for the senior Men's team position. They might be good hires at the youth or regional levels and given a chance to work their way up.

Someone with great FIFA and Euro connections who is used to working in a large country with next to no support .... see Stephen Constantine!

Well I hear that Scolari is going to be coaching England now, instead of the person they had already choosen before the World Cup started. Why doesn't Canada hire Sachi or Maldini from Italy? I guess the bottom line is Canada is not willing to pay enough to get one of the top bench bosses to come here!

quote:Originally posted by patdymond

Well I hear that Scolari is going to be coaching England now, instead of the person they had already choosen before the World Cup started. Why doesn't Canada hire Sachi or Maldini from Italy? I guess the bottom line is Canada is not willing to pay enough to get one of the top bench bosses to come here!

How much is enough? Russia paid about $3-4 million for Hiddink,

USA offered $3 million for Klinsmann. IIRC, Canada's budget in 2005

for the MNT was $800,000. (Don't know how accurate that was, but let's

say it's twice that figure ... same sentiment.)

But we're not alone. Honduras couldn't afford Bora because he cost

them $1 million. Canada couldn't afford Sacchi, Maldini, Scolari,

Multinovic, Ericksson, or any well-known international coach.

The likelihood is that they'd pick someone in the system (Mitchell,

Miller, Bate, Hart, etc.), or someone available in CONCACAF

that won't demand top dollar (Sampson, Arena, that ugly coach for

the Guats, etc.), or someone with experience in the English

Championship league, or someone out in left field. Your guess is

as good as mine.

Mexico's Argentinian coach Ricardo La Volpe has just resigned his position. Don't know if he would be much interested in our position though as he has stated he wants to coach a club in Europe. There are only 8 coaches from this World Cup who have valid contracts with their teams after the tournament. With the large turnover there will be a large number of candidates for our position but also a lot of competition for them. Trinidad's Beenhaker is one of the top candidates for Poland.

It is being reported that Beenhaker has been hired by Poland and will be announced officially on Tuesday. Would have been a good candidate for us if interested in the position but I Poland is obviously a more attractive position.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Yeah, a Euro team that does well in Qs and chokes at the WC ;).

The job with either team is to get them to the next level but in Poland's case it is to get them to perform better in the WC while in our case it is just to get us there.

I would love to see the CSA, for once, get creative . Hire Steve Nicol

let him run the National Team and Toronto FC at the same time, partly filling the TO roster with a mix of MLS Canadians (not Onstead though)up and coming young Canadians and a few quality imports!!

let him run the National Team and Toronto FC at the same time, partly filling the TO roster with a mix of MLS Canadians (not Onstead though)up and coming young Canadians and a few quality imports!!

quote:Originally posted by bingham

Steve Nicol is your idea of being creative?????????

If we are going to hire a Scottish coach it sure as hell better be Craig Brown and not Steve Nicol or Mo Johnston.

quote:Originally posted by patdymond

Well I hear that Scolari is going to be coaching England now, instead of the person they had already choosen before the World Cup started.

You might really want to check your sources, because there is absolutly no chance that will happen. It really doesn't matter how much money they throw at him, he will not be coaching England.

If you remember, one of the main reasons he turned down the original job offer from England, was due to the english media. and i don't think they've done anything throughout this world cup to have him change his opinion of their mentality & methods.

a recent quote from Big Phil:

"Money isn't everything in life. I need to have sunshine, to wear shorts and to go to the beach, and I get all that in Portugal."

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Zico played in Japan for 3 years so he would certainly know great deal of Japanese.

Believe it or not he hardly speaks a lick of Japanese, which says a lot about the guy. I mean, this guy has spent the vast majority of the pas fifteen years, and he doesn't say so much as "Arigato" to the reporters (or fans, but who are they anyways, right). Everything he did in Japan, and I mean all of it, was in Portuguese. Guess he ishoping to coach in Portugal, if the rumours of him heading to Europe are true. I personally think he's a crap manager, so they can have him.

quote: think we should judge the coach on his quality not what country he comes from or where he played. There are good english coaches and poor english coaches just like there are good Dutch/Brazilian coaches and poor Dutch/Brazilian coaches.

there aren't that many good english coaches - there were none at the WC. The Africans don't hire them. The Asians don't hire them. The Latin Americans don't hire. And the English don't hire them.

I pray to the football gods that we not only don't get a english coach - but no british one either.

Trinidad has a new coach.

Rijsbergen becomes Trinidad coach

Rijsbergen (left) takes over the reins from Beenhakker

Wim Rijsbergen has been named the new head coach of Trinidad and Tobago, replacing outgoing boss Leo Beenhakker.

Rijsbergen was Beenhakker's assistant at this summer's World Cup, which saw Trinidad exit in the group stages on their tournament debut.

Rijsbergen, who played for Holland at the 1974 World Cup, will be assisted by Anton Corneal and Jan Van Deinsen.

Beenhakker is set to take over as the new Poland boss but will remain a technical advisor to the Soca Warriors.

"The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation remains highly appreciative towards Mr Beenhakker for his services towards the uplifting of the country's football and for his guiding of the team to the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany," said a statement on the official website.

"We also wish him the very best in his new role with the Polish FA."

Archived