May 22 - U20 Friendly - Canada vs Brazil [R]

DJT

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

That was normal officiating at this level. There is no way we are going to get anything better in an official tournament against Brazil, so live with it.

I liked the way we forced them into long balls, into some of our play, by clogging up the middle. Then our defending at the back was very solid for most of the match. I thought we were in control, though not dominating to win, at the half. The goal was a great plus and helped our confidence, and our better minutes came after it, as Brazil also lost a bit of position and we could move forwards more handily. But they kept pushing and some small errors, minor stuff really, made the difference: the Brazilian getting position on the play leading to the penalty (which I insist will be called 80% of the time), the foul, the wall maybe not so good, and the rebound on the 2nd off a free kick, no follow up of the goal scorer (who got lucky to have it bounce right to him), and finally a bit of nerves at the back when thinking about trying to get forwards for the tying goal, I'll forgive Lumley for that one as he was strong all game.

Would like to see a bit more midfield play, in the end liked O'Conner, most of the back line in fact with him, Nuñez in the 2nd half, Peters in the 2nd too, and Lombardo.

Was going to give my summary.....but it looks like you and I were watching the same match!

First time I have seen this squad in action...glad I spent the cash...I mostly agree with you that I wish we had a bit more in the midfield (from a playmaking perspective not ball winning {we do that quite well})...our attacking always seems a bit uninspiring playing the same sorta style as we have always played (couple of square balls in midfield followed by, either, a 20-25 yard through ball in the air or a player kicking it out in front of himself and trying to out run a defender).....this squad appears to have the talent to do more....they look like they will never be outworked and they certainly seem organized at the back...just wish we allowed a bit more creativity to develop in the middle.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by redhat

Poor sportsmanship, similar to the Rivaldo-type dives during WC,

marred the last 20 minutes of the match. The Mexican ref didn't

help as he was very inconsistent, failing to call fouls and yellows

while calling ones against us.

We should be used to these type of refs (CONCACAF), and these series

should expose our team to the high level it needs to compete.

Let's just say I won't be cheering for Brazil in the WC next month,

based on the poor sportsmanship displayed at the last WC, the U19

Women's semi in Edmonton, and this last U20 friendly in Victoria.[}:)]

I did not see anything unusual at all out there, it was not violent, not too chippy, just competitive. That is why I liked it, the Canadians were more or less into the game. But you have to use that to your advantage, you go up a goal, you have to hold the ball more, make them take it away from you, and let them foul you, start again. Canada is very poor in keeping a result on all levels, senior men, junior women, here, I have seen it too many times.

The players did not help the ref, who tried to set out his law very early on, maybe too early, and maybe he could have saved a few yellows. But as I say, in the last U-20 WC in Holland refs were like that, ridiculously hard and then unable to handle their own standards.

There is no way you can expect positive reffing when you are up 1-0 on Brazil and you are Canada, sorry to say. The refs will always try to even things out. Which is why you need to control a bit of the midfield, and make them foul you. We did not do that at all, did not kill off the match even with the score 1-1. So the result is fair in the end in spite of our keeping them mostly at bay for most of 85 minutes.

YOU WANT A PLAYMAKING MIDFIELDER? YOU GOT IT ON THE BENCH! HECTOR CONTRERAS NUMBER 13 HOPE HE WILL HAVE HIS CHANCE IN THE 3rd MATCH, NOT ONLY BECAUSE HE IS MY BEST FRIEND BUT HE DESIERVE IT AND I GARANTY YOU HE CAN BE THE GUY CANADA'S LOOKING TO CREATE SOME CHANCES! LET'S GO !NACHO!

My own eyes saw at least two professional fouls from Brasil (plus Lumley's to be fair) which, should have been cards. If you let them go, you give Edgar a yellow and a chance to stay in there. The problem with yet another Mexican ref, is that they are totally unpredictable. Why there can be so many great Mexican referees in boxing, and so few in football is an absolute mystery.

My working theory: Most boxing referees are ex-fighters, while most football refs are ex-flower delivery boys with weak nerves who can now only be trusted to deliver cards.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by chiko87

YOU WANT A PLAYMAKING MIDFIELDER? YOU GOT IT ON THE BENCH! HECTOR CONTRERAS NUMBER 13 HOPE HE WILL HAVE HIS CHANCE IN THE 3rd MATCH, NOT ONLY BECAUSE HE IS MY BEST FRIEND BUT HE DESIERVE IT AND I GARANTY YOU HE CAN BE THE GUY CANADA'S LOOKING TO CREATE SOME CHANCES! LET'S GO !NACHO!

Nacho is Hector? I thought it was short for Ignacio?

In any case, I compare this side to the one that we had in UAE and I still think that team played more tightly. The keeping and defence was similar perhaps, even think these guys are more reliable apart from Hutchinson, but that midfield with de Tulio holding, with Chin and Lemire doing some playmaking, turning with it and making the passes, with Simpson pushing up one side and Sita the other, Hume up the middle, I liked it better.

Would love to see Contreras, if he is healthy, just to see how all the players fit in the mix, and now that the teams really know each other I hope we can keep cool and keep it close for a full half at least. CAuse what is really in the cards for the next one is Brazil trying to strike early and run up the score on us. So watch out boys.

yes Nacho is for Ignacio..but his name is Hector Ignacio and we call him Nacho everybody in his gfamily and all his friends ! hope i'll see him next match! I'm also happy to see Cristian Nunez JOnathan and Ibrahim playing during the 1rst game ! but Nacho is missing and he is better than the other ones!

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

My own eyes saw at least two professional fouls from Brasil (plus Lumley's to be fair) which, should have been cards. If you let them go, you give Edgar a yellow and a chance to stay in there. The problem with yet another Mexican ref, is that they are totally unpredictable. Why there can be so many great Mexican referees in boxing, and so few in football is an absolute mystery.

My working theory: Most boxing referees are ex-fighters, while most football refs are ex-flower delivery boys with weak nerves who can now only be trusted to deliver cards.

See that pretty much sums up the long and short of it. If the ref'ing isn't equaly crap both ways, it's biased. Dosen't have to be dramaticly biased, but if it's timely and tacticaly pointed it can be it at it's most effective.

These latin ref's have got to understand we aren't "America lite". You got a problem with the US' rising football star? The borders an hour that way. Have a ball.

Edgar's red card for hoofing the ball away (even if it was at a player) was not the worst foul on the pitch today. Not by a long shot. But there it was all the same. If you could pick a player who Canada could more ill afford to loose than David Edgar I'd be happy to argue the point with you.

And all this distracts from the odvious. Brazil isn't running away with anything here and it's frustrating the Hell out of them. 80 something ranked HockeyLands lads are doing remarkably well, making a go of it, in style, and pissing off the Kings of Football. Good on them. It's all very encouraging.

Wasn't expecting much today. Players recovering from Commonwealth, and maybe looking towards Swangard as the next real test. But they still didn't do bad. Not bad at all.

Alex Elliott was taken out mid-way through the first half. Not sure if he was injured, but he didn't get a chance to do much as we were largely defensive in that half.

On the officiating, I didn't have a problem with the penalty, but the call that led to the free kick foul that won the game for Brazil was what pissed me off, as I thought that was dubious in the extreme. I suppose with all of the diving & poor sportsmanship it was coming. The Brazilian team was shrewd enough to realize that the Mexican ref was buying everything they were selling.

We seemed much more tentative today, as though we were content with a draw from the outset, having already won our game. Lombardo got us a goal out of nothing - a talent which we haven't had enough of in Canada - and also played some intelligent balls. He should get the start on Thursday.

Other than that, chalk this match up as a learning experience. From the bigger picture, all these matches are good.

Guest speedmonk42

I can't believe they are cheering and crap in the streets here over that win.

Still at it too here on Rachel. at 9:45.....

I agree i think NAcho should comme in i have seen him play and i have played against him and i think he is a smart good player i dont want to take anything away from Christian and Jonathan but i think should give a chance to Nacho and Olivier Babineau. I play with Babineau at the university of Montreal and i surely think Olivier can really make a difference he has a great work volume and great vision and feet so i surely hope that Dale gives him a chance to prove what he can do. But i think the guys are playing some good soccer and i cant wait to see the last game on tv.

CSA match report:

Men’s U-20 Team

Monday, May 22, 2006

Brazil Defeats Canada 3-1 in Victoria

Victoria, British Columbia - After taking the lead in front of 4,415 spectators at Victoria’s Centennial Stadium on Monday, May 22, Canada was unable to hold off the Brazilians and were defeated 3:1 in the second of a three-game series.

The Canucks had previously defeated the South Americans 2:1 on Friday evening in Edmonton, Alberta.

On the foggy and damp afternoon, Canada in red lined up in a 4-3-3 formation and played with good possession and pressured the Brazilian defence early in the match.

“I was pleased with our performance,” said Head Coach Dale Mitchell. “We scored first and then held them to a draw until the 87th minute before they took the lead.”

“The next game in Burnaby will be exciting.”

Brazilian Renatinho had an early opportunity with a low shot from 30 yards out. Canadian keeper Asmir Begovic blocked the skipping shot then quickly collected the rebound.

Moments later, the Canadians were unable to capitalize on their own early free kick 35-yards out of the Brazilian net when David Edgar’s drive was easily stopped by Brazilian keeper Muriel.

Brazil took control in the latter part of the first half with Renatinho continuing to attack. He sent another shot through traffic that deflected just wide right of the net Canadian net.

In the 21st minute, a Diogo shot from the top of the penalty area sailed over the net.

In the 33rd minute, Will Johnson looked dangerous and marched up the left side only to be met by three Brazilian defenders who eventually broke up his valiant effort.

Mitchell made two substitutions heading into the second half sending in Andrea Lombardo for Simeon Jackson and Keegan Ayre for Jonathon Bourgault.

Brazil continued to search for the go ahead goal with Beto taking a shot from close range but David Edgar stood in the way and again blocked the ensuing shot taken from the rebound.

Canada again looked dangerous in the 51st minute as Lombardo fed Jamie Peters for a run up the right side. Peters then sent a cross to Gavin McCallum who was stopped at the goal line.

Three minutes later, it was Lombardo who gave Canada the lead when he received a long pass and found himself behind the Brazil defence for a tap that beat Muriel into the back of the net.

Brazilian captain Ji Parana evened the score on a penalty in the 67th minute following a clumsy challenge by Stephen Lumley in the Canadian penalty area.

Brazil took the lead in minute 87 after Nunez took an indirect free kick which Begovic initially stopped but Luis Adriano sent the rebound past the Canadian keeper’s right side.

Canada was forced to play short the final three minutes of injury time after Edgar was ejected in the 90th minute. Moments later, a back pass was misplayed by Lumley resulting in an interception by Ji Parana who then crossed to Luis Adriano. Adriano made no mistake and beat the shifting Begovic for their third and final goal of the match.

Both Canada and Brazil will depart for Vancouver tomorrow for the final game of the series on Thursday in Burnaby’s Swangard Stadium at 7:00 pm PT. Sportsnet Pacific and Rogers Sportsnet West will broadcast the match live and Rogers Sportsnet East and Rogers Sportsnet Ontario will broadcast the match on a one hour tape delay.

Monday, May 22, 2006 - International Friendly

Centennial Stadium – Victoria, BC

Attendance: 4, 415

CANADA – 1 (0)

BRAZIL – 3 (0)

Goals: Canada - LOMBARDO (54); Brazil - JI PARANÁ (67, PK), LUIS ADRIANO (87), LUIS ADRIANO (90+)

Cautions: - PETERS (6); LUMLEY (34), BOURGAULT (41), LOMBARDO (48); Brazil - DIOGO (16), CARLÃO (81)

Expulsions – EDGAR (90)

CANADA: 1-BEGOVIC, Asmir; 3-O’CONNOR, Kent (2-LORETH, Joey, 84); 4-BOURGAULT, Jonathan (14-AYRE, Keegan, 45); 5-LUMLEY, Stephen; 6-EDGAR, David; 7-PETERS, Jaime; 8-NUNEZ, Cristian; 9-ELLIOTT, Alex (17-McCALLUM, Gavin, 31); 10-JOHNSON, Will ©; 16-JACKSON, Simeon (15-LOMBARDO, Andrea, 45); 21-OWUSU-ANSAH, Kennedy

Head Coach: Dale Mitchell (CAN)

Subs not used: 11-BABINEAU, Olivier; 19-D’AGOSTINO, Mike; 22-MONSALVE, David; 12-BALDE, Ibrahim; 13-CONTRERAS, Hector; 18-GALA, Gabe; 20-TURNBULL, Masumi

BRAZIL: 1-Muriel Gustavo Becker (MURIEL); 2-Antonio Cleilson da Silva Feitosa (AMARAL) (14-Edivelton Feliciano Moreira (CAÇAPA), 74); 3-Anderson Luis de A.R. Marques (ANDERSON); 4-Edson Henrique da Silva (EDSON); 5-Fernando Franciso Regel (FERNANDO); 6-Carlos Eduardo Dutra Oliveira (CARLÃO) (15-Nilton Ferreira Junior (NILTON), 88); 7-Junior Felício Marques (JI PARANÁ) ©; 8-Taianan Imberê Linhares Welker (TAIANAN); 9-Renato Carlos Martins Junior (RENATINHO) (16-Ramon Gonçalves (RAMON), 74); 10-Diogo Luis Santo (DIOGO); 11-Alberto Antonio de Paula (BETO) (17-Luis Adriano de Souza da Silva (LUIS ADRIANO), 68)

Head Coach: Nelson Rodrigues (BRA)

Subs not used: 12-Elisson Aparecido Rosa (ELISSON); 13-Leyrielton Moura de Moraes (LEYRIELTON)

Ticket Information & Broadcast info

May 25@ Swangard Stadium presented by TELUS – Burnaby, BC– 19:00 PT

$20.00-30.00 - Available through Ticketmaster at 604-280-4400 or visit ticketmaster.ca

Live on Rogers Sportsnet Pacific and Rogers Sportsnet West at 7:00 p.m. PT / 8:00 p.m. MT / 10:00 p.m. ET.

The CSA says the formation was 4-3-3, wich works great for the senior team right now, but I would have said stay with the 4-5-1 (correct me if im wrong) that got us the result in Edmonton. We passed very well and looked creative in the middle, especially on the counter. Go back to that.

As for the refing, does anyone know if it was our good old friend Benito "I shouldnt be reffing in the Mex. Div 2" Archundia?

Looking forward to the last game. Id be happy with the draw even, if they play a bit tighter at the back.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

The CSA says the formation was 4-3-3, wich works great for the senior team right now, but I would have said stay with the 4-5-1 (correct me if im wrong) that got us the result in Edmonton. We passed very well and looked creative in the middle, especially on the counter. Go back to that.

As for the refing, does anyone know if it was our good old friend Benito "I shouldnt be reffing in the Mex. Div 2" Archundia?

Looking forward to the last game. Id be happy with the draw even, if they play a bit tighter at the back.

They say 4-3-3 but in essence it was a 4-5-1. It was the exact same lineup that started the game in Edmonton.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

First time I have seen this squad in action...glad I spent the cash...I mostly agree with you that I wish we had a bit more in the midfield (from a playmaking perspective not ball winning {we do that quite well})...our attacking always seems a bit uninspiring playing the same sorta style as we have always played (couple of square balls in midfield followed by, either, a 20-25 yard through ball in the air or a player kicking it out in front of himself and trying to out run a defender).....this squad appears to have the talent to do more....they look like they will never be outworked and they certainly seem organized at the back...just wish we allowed a bit more creativity to develop in the middle.

It's too bad you didn't get to see the last match.

The Canadian midfield was a lot more coherent, with Peters and Johnson dominating for long stretches. Brazil obviously learned from that game and covered those two players a lot closer.

Guest speedmonk42

How did the webcast work out for everyone?

It was pretty good, a few long pauses looking at the crowd while the game was on. But the pros seem to want to do that as well while the game is going on, something I have never figured out.

I hope it worked out well for the CSA and the company that did it.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

It did not look like a 4-5-1 at all, as we were short men in the midfield and simply bypassed it on the way forwards. We had few men out wide when we got the ball back, which that formation would give us.

But I "agree" that we probably need to have a greater presence in the middle, work the ball through it, and not leave our strikers so alone up front. I'd like to see the team move forwards as a block better, and play wider in attack as well. I would go for a real 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 for the next game, maybe leaving Lombard up front and letting Peters roam a bit higher up as he's our best bet in getting the cross in.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The Canadian midfield was a lot more coherent, with Peters and Johnson dominating for long stretches. Brazil obviously learned from that game and covered those two players a lot closer.

And a lot less legally this time round as well.

Archived