May 22 - U20 Friendly - Canada vs Brazil [R]

DJT

<center>U20 FriendlyCanada vs. BrazilMonday, May 22, 2006

2:00 PM PDT / 3:00 PM MDT / 4:00 PM CDT / 5:00 PM EDT / 6:00 PM ADT / 6:30 PM NDT

Centennial Stadium, Victoria

Canadian television:

None

Video Webcast:

CSA - $6.95

(Note that you must first sign up for the Webcast before you can access it,

so don't wait until the last minute.)

Voyageurs real-time chat

(login under your forum name using the top box and top "Login Now" button; do not use the two lower boxes, do not enter your forum password anywhere)

</center>

The real-time chat is perfect for conversation during the Webcast. Don't try to use the forum for this — it won't work with such traffic.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

I signed up, as this is a great time for me, not too late.

If you go to the FAQs and click on the line for testing video quality, they have a long clip of the Austria-Canada game, beginning with 0-0 m. 22 first half, in case anyone wants to warm up before the match. Cool.

Topish of the page, just to the left of the CIBC ad on the right hand side, Canada vs Brazil, click here to sign up.

I can no wait. Not expecting nearly as much from the lads this match. Legs have to be really sore, but I guess we'll see.

Well, I don't have a ticket for the game. It sold out far fastest than I expected, but I have to work today anyway.

You'll be interested in knowing that it's been cool and raining all morning in Victoria. Not a heavy downpour, but a steady drizzle. Conditions will not be good at Centennial.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The stream is working already.

Currenty, you can watch the lines being painted.

Exciting stuff.

Haha, I was gonna post the same thing.

Right now you can hear people talking about media passes. :D

Guest Jeffery S.

I changed this post as I think the pitch is not as bad as I thought.

Had problems with the player, went to Ready without playing, followed instructions on Protocol and its back playing again.

I don't hear any banter or audio with 20 to go, same for the rest here?

CANADA: 1 - BEGOVIC, Asmir © ; 3-O’CONNOR, Kent; 4 - BOURGAULT, Jonathan; 5 - LUMLEY, Stephen; 6 - EDGAR, David; 7 - PETERS, Jaime; 8 - NUNEZ, Cristian, 9 - ELLIOTT, Alex; 10 - JOHNSON, Will; 16 - JACKSON, Simeon; 21 -OWUSU-ANSAH, Kennedy, same lineup

Brazil is players 1-11, but I don't know who that is.

I was just at the game. Had a pretty good view from behind the fence behind brazils goal, i was actually closer than the grandstand. No score when i left. Only comments is that its damn foggy, and Peters was the only Canadian doing anything close to what can be described as offence. Edgar made his presence felt too.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

I was just at the game. Had a pretty good view from behind the fence behind brazils goal, i was actually closer than the grandstand. No score when i left. Only comments is that its damn foggy, and Peters was the only Canadian doing anything close to what can be described as offence. Edgar made his presence felt too.

Why did you leave?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF HECTOR CONTRERAS (13) COMES IN (HE'S MY BEST FRIEND AND HE CAN PLAY A LOT BETTER THAN SOME PLAYERS IN THE STARTING LINE-UP)..MITCHELL GOT TO PUT HIM BECAUSE HE NEED TO PROOVE TO EVERYBODY WHAT HE CAN DO!

I can't say we deserved to win, but that was some of the worst officiating I've ever seen for a (meaningless) U20 friendly. And I though the American Ref on Friday night was bad, we can safely send this Ref back to Mexico, where he can allow all the diving & cheap play that he wants.

Guest Jeffery S.

That was normal officiating at this level. There is no way we are going to get anything better in an official tournament against Brazil, so live with it.

I liked the way we forced them into long balls, into some of our play, by clogging up the middle. Then our defending at the back was very solid for most of the match. I thought we were in control, though not dominating to win, at the half. The goal was a great plus and helped our confidence, and our better minutes came after it, as Brazil also lost a bit of position and we could move forwards more handily. But they kept pushing and some small errors, minor stuff really, made the difference: the Brazilian getting position on the play leading to the penalty (which I insist will be called 80% of the time), the foul, the wall maybe not so good, and the rebound on the 2nd off a free kick, no follow up of the goal scorer (who got lucky to have it bounce right to him), and finally a bit of nerves at the back when thinking about trying to get forwards for the tying goal, I'll forgive Lumley for that one as he was strong all game.

Would like to see a bit more midfield play, in the end liked O'Conner, most of the back line in fact with him, Nuñez in the 2nd half, Peters in the 2nd too, and Lombardo.

Poor sportsmanship, similar to the Rivaldo-type dives during WC,

marred the last 20 minutes of the match. The Mexican ref didn't

help as he was very inconsistent, failing to call fouls and yellows

while calling ones against us.

We should be used to these type of refs (CONCACAF), and these series

should expose our team to the high level it needs to compete.

Let's just say I won't be cheering for Brazil in the WC next month,

based on the poor sportsmanship displayed at the last WC, the U19

Women's semi in Edmonton, and this last U20 friendly in Victoria.[}:)]

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Before I begin my rant, can anybody confirm 100% that Edgar won't be able to play in Vancouver? If so, this is an absolute tragedy. I don't see why red cards need to carry over. Then again, I don't see why we need a Mexican referee. As Bubbles once said, "Greasy, real greasy."

I doubt the card would carry over in a friendly.

Archived