It's Official: Toronto FC

RS

The logo looks pretty sharp. Simple and classic. I agree with the name. If there is to be a nickname it will come with time. *Believe it or not Soccer or Football clubs have been poping up all over europe for ages with names - even logos...* They've followed a trend that has proven to be successful for decades.

To make all happy they should have called the team:

AC Inter "Downtown Canada" FC SC City...

Go on TFC!

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

Therein lies the beauty of the name choice. Many of the clubs in Europe inherit (by this I mean, "grow into") their names. It usually comes from an interesting quirk or an important event and is usually derived naturally by the fans and is widely accepted over time. Good move!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest speedmonk42

Signed up.

I don't think the stadium looks bad at all.

It looks a bit utility, and expandable which is good.

Let's fill the damn thing up. It is going to be the people inside it that matter most and what's on the field.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Toronto Hartrell-free FC.

Well the thing with Toronto FC, is that when MLSE does find a major sponsor willing to pony up the naming rights, you can bet the team's "nickname" will fall into place. So at best, Labatts forks over the cash and the team becomes the "Blues" or if it's GMC and the team becomes "F250's".

I can remember being a boy in Montreal when the Manic came to life. Molson talked about being in it for the long run. The same patter that MLSE is turning out Molson's did as well. The Manic had a radio and local TV contract. They came out of the gate a drew very well. That first year saw a play-off crowd of 58,000. And then something happened at Molson at the start of year 3. A boardroom decision and poof. The loses claimed to be at 2 Million a year, were deemed excessive. It wasn't a decision based on tradition or loyalty to the clubs fans or the community that supported it like no other, it was a decision to improve a large corporations bottom line.

So before people get to emotionally involved with a team based on press conference and a logo, remember what this league did to fans in San Jose. It moved a team that was supported and loved by it's community without a single tear. In matter of fact it was done by a "Sports" Company much like MLSE with threats and intimidation thrown in. So when it happens to Toronto. Don't say it's a shock.

You don't matter to the bean counters at MLSE, no matter how much of your heart you give and how cuddly they get. This isn't some nice community team with your emotional interests at heart through thick and thin. As for the Hartwell's, they could have walked away 5 years ago and no one would have blamed them. But they stuck it out.

be careful of what you wish for.

quote:Originally posted by harding

I think you are correct that there is no such thing as a sure winner. Your examples are very valid and who knows, it may happen. Even the most diehard proponent would not deny that. But at least there is a chance now for pro soccer in Toronto and the key is that people like Jim Brennan were at the press conference expressing an interest in coming back to play for this side.

As far as the name. Its the most bland option imaginable. It not ispiring but at the same time, it the kind of name that wont stir up negative sentiment. I see this as way to delay the choice of nickname to future and allow a team name to emerge in the same way that most clubs overseas acquired their nicknames.

quote:Originally posted by harding

As for the Hartwell's

You had me right up until this point, when I realised that there is only one other person on this board that calls the Lynx owners the 'Hartwells'...

I already gave a "report card" on the Ultras board, so here is the Coles Notes version:

- Toronto FC is simple, safe, and traditional, but it would have lost to other options like City had they been made available on the poll instead of just a write-in, and it should be SC instead of FC!

- Toronto's colours are blue/white. The whole red/white "Canada's Team" gimmick is stupid (and illogical after 2010). The grey is cool though.

- The logo looks quite professional and was easily the best of the three components that was announced. Once again, it is the FC crap that bothers me.

Since the only professional Football Club in Toronto is the Argos, could someone with Photoshop please correct/fix the logo.

GO TORONTO SC!

Uh, KAS? The rest of the world calls it football. Is there some rule we're not aware of that says we're not allowed to call it football because we're in Canada?

And you'd better tell the Raps that Toronto's colours are blue and white...not to mention the Lynx. I'm sure they'll freak out and make the change immediately wshen they find out.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

All in all, a very positive day for MLSE, MLS and Toronto FC (the Yorkies)......little to grumble about just wish they had done it sooner and hope that the flow of info improves now that they have some of our money!!!

Yorkies!

Well done TO - that's the best idea for a nickname I've seen anywhere and way better than anything I came up with. We disagreed over the club's official name (kudos to MLSE for going with something that we both can support) but I'm right behind you on this one. The idea of tuanting Red Bulls fans by calling them New Amsterdam and TFC Real New York is too good to pass up.

V's get behind this one ASAP before MLSE has a chance to hijack the nickname - hold them to their idea to let a name develop amongst the fans.

C'MON YORKIES!

Mike.

p.s. I'd also like to suggest a cheeky second nickname - The Hosers! I've always thought that V's should wear touques as part the their "look" and sing the Monty Python lumberjack song as our anthem. Embracing the stereotype would give TFC (and Canada) something distictive to their fan culture.

quote:Uh, KAS? The rest of the world calls it football. Is there some rule we're not aware of that says we're not allowed to call it football because we're in Canada?

Besides, let me say time and time again. We used the word football for soccer in Canada way before we used it for Canadian Football. So it's really only going back to tradition.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Besides, let me say time and time again. We used the word football for soccer in Canada way before we used it for Canadian Football. So it's really only going back to tradition.

Since professional "soccer" never caught on in Toronto, maybe confusing people that they're going to a "Football" game might help.

Better have some decent MLSE whoa's at the game with pom poms.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Actually not true both have been around and both seemed to have been established as sports around the same time in Canada (probably the major reason for the eventual differientation of the names) - Canadian football has been called football since the circa 1860s and 70 while the first Canadian football (soccer) game is recorded as having been played in around the the same time with the first reference to soccer in writing that I have seen dating from the turn of the century.

It is an interesting debate - we call it hockey the Euros call it ice hockey to differentiate it from field hockey (which they more commonly refer to just hockey). Perhaps we should begin calling it association football.....

Personally while I do not prefer soccer - the reality is in our culture the reference is the more common one and the one that the majority of the population identifies with. The media I suspect will refer to Toronto FC the SOCCER team that plays in a league called Major League SOCCER. Perhaps we should rename the league as well.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Yorkies!

Well done TO - that's the best idea for a nickname I've seen anywhere and way better than anything I came up with. We disagreed over the club's official name (kudos to MLSE for going with something that we both can support) but I'm right behind you on this one. The idea of tuanting Red Bulls fans by calling them New Amsterdam and TFC Real New York is too good to pass up.

V's get behind this one ASAP before MLSE has a chance to hijack the nickname - hold them to their idea to let a name develop amongst the fans.

C'MON YORKIES!

Mike.

p.s. I'd also like to suggest a cheeky second nickname - The Hosers! I've always thought that V's should wear touques as part the their "look" and sing the Monty Python lumberjack song as our anthem. Embracing the stereotype would give TFC (and Canada) something distictive to their fan culture.

Thanks for the support of Yorkies....the spirit of not having a nickname, though, is that it should just develop and people either will or will not adopt it and use it.

That one just came to my head and I typed it....seems to work (for me) though on several levels....it is easy to say and chant....it is reflective of the city's history (originally being called York and having areas called North York, East York etc and having Fort York just down the street from the stadium) and, if it caught on, even the marketing guys could use it and have kiddies stuff with cute little yorkie puppies on them.....anyway, I threw it out there and it is always nice to get some positive feedback for an idea.

Like I said in my post (and after a days consideration) it really is great how well MLSE did yesterday in finding the acceptable compromises in almost every area....keep in mind, this comes from someone who was losing any faith in them just 48 hours ago and their overall performance yesterday prompted me to spend money on their future product....I wish I could get the guys who work for me to have days that good more often!!!!

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

By Yorkies, are you referring to the dog? I know it refers to Toronto's historical name, but I'm wondering if the dog connection is deliberate.

It was an accident....but, as noted above, not a bad one (IMO)

quote:Like I said in my post (and after a days consideration) it really is great how well MLSE did yesterday in finding the acceptable compromises in almost every area....keep in mind, this comes from someone who was losing any faith in them just 48 hours ago and their overall performance yesterday prompted me to spend money on their future product....I wish I could get the guys who work for me to have days that good more often!!!!

Can we be friends again? ;)

Archived