It's Official: Toronto FC

RS

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by harding

Well the thing with Toronto FC, is that when MLSE does find a major sponsor willing to pony up the naming rights, you can bet the team's "nickname" will fall into place. So at best, Labatts forks over the cash and the team becomes the "Blues" or if it's GMC and the team becomes "F250's".

I can remember being a boy in Montreal when the Manic came to life. Molson talked about being in it for the long run. The same patter that MLSE is turning out Molson's did as well. The Manic had a radio and local TV contract. They came out of the gate a drew very well. That first year saw a play-off crowd of 58,000. And then something happened at Molson at the start of year 3. A boardroom decision and poof. The loses claimed to be at 2 Million a year, were deemed excessive. It wasn't a decision based on tradition or loyalty to the clubs fans or the community that supported it like no other, it was a decision to improve a large corporations bottom line.

The whole Team Canada thing was Molson's way of killing the club. Ya, the first year was amazing then they said we're going to be Team Canada and attendances plummetted. They didn't want to be obvious about it so they found a way to do without making themselves look ridiculous.

You can't fold a team drawing 30k a game but you can if they're only drawing 12k.

db

I think it's great that this is finally becoming official.

The logo and name are good I think. Although I would have liked to see blue/white as the main colours... It's more of a traditional Toronto colour scheme. As many have acknowledged, the name allows for a nickname to develop over time by the fans and community... Way better than some gimicky name designed by the marketing dep't to draw in people with short attention spans. The name will appeal to the soccer community, who will be the real backbone of the fan base. I like the FC in the name better than SC, btw (don't know why, but it just seems nicer)

Still not much info about the stadium though.. Will it be a grass pitch or the FieldTurf crap?? Does anyone know? Since it's a purpose built soccer stadium, it's easier to go for grass. Field turf is useful if you're constantly switching surfaces between football, baseball, concert, etc.. But if the main function of the field is soccer, then grass is definitely doable...

Some people in the thread said: Go TFC! ... sounds too much like KFC to me... Toronto Fried Chicken! :)

Anyways.. I hope they don't go all-out corporate (like so many other professional sports teams). It really breaks the community ties, when you sell your identity to a different corporation every few years... I hope they don't name the stadium after a sponsor (ie. Rogers/AC centre... blah!)

They seem to be trying to go in a good direction.. hope it lasts.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Fizzix

I think it's great that this is finally becoming official.

Still not much info about the stadium though.. Will it be a grass pitch or the FieldTurf crap?? Does anyone know? Since it's a purpose built soccer stadium, it's easier to go for grass. Field turf is useful if you're constantly switching surfaces between football, baseball, concert, etc.. But if the main function of the field is soccer, then grass is definitely doable...

I think the one thing we know for sure about the stadium is that it is field turf.

quote:

Anyways.. I hope they don't go all-out corporate (like so many other professional sports teams). It really breaks the community ties, when you sell your identity to a different corporation every few years... I hope they don't name the stadium after a sponsor (ie. Rogers/AC centre... blah!)

They seem to be trying to go in a good direction.. hope it lasts.

ooops that is probably the one other thing we know....since MLSE paid $10 mil. to buy the rights to the naming rights....I think you can be sure they are going to resell the name at a profit.

My money would be on Adidas Park at the Ex.

quote:Originally posted by mlsintoronto

Can we be friends again? ;)

Let's keep our relationship strictly "customer-vendor" for now [^]....once you end the secrecy on the stadium and show some savvy by having paraphanalia in the stores before/during the WC....we can consider friendship.

Archived