It's Official: Toronto FC

RS

Marc,

You don't want silver. MLSE incorporated silver into the Leafs uniform/logo, as did Rogers with the Jays, and it looks awful. It gives off a sparkly look that makes it look completely tacky and not at all serious. Silver( as well as gold) gives off an *EXTREME! MARKETING* vibe. I'm not nuts about grey, but at least it's respectable.

As for the logo, I'm with you. It is a bit bland, but coming into this all I wanted was something that I could walk down the street wearing and not feel ashamed. Mission acomplished. I've put up with five years of Lynx imagery; comparatively speaking, this will be very, very easy to embrace.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Marc,

You don't want silver. MLSE incorporated silver into the Leafs uniform/logo, as did Rogers with the Jays, and it looks awful. It gives off a sparkly look that makes it look completely tacky and not at all serious. Silver( as well as gold) gives off an *EXTREME! MARKETING* vibe. I'm not nuts about grey, but at least it's respectable.

As for the logo, I'm with you. It is a bit bland, but coming into this all I wanted was something that I could walk down the street wearing and not feel ashamed. Mission acomplished. I've put up with five years of Lynx imagery; comparatively speaking, this will be very, very easy to embrace.

You mean you aren't proud of wearing the Lynx with a soccer ball for a neck? :D

Guest Jeffery S.

It is a boring logo, but it is very Toronto, it is staid and normal and doesn't communicate much, but it is serious. You can trust it. And invest in it.

The name too is dry and colourless. But same story.

In the end, objectively, you can take the logos of most clubs and the only thing that makes them beautiful to fans' eyes is the history of the club and the soccer moments they've given their fans. So you can hope this will be the same here.

In any case, there could always come a day when they decide to improve the logo, especially, as that has really low merchandising interest as I see it.

Just to add that for 50 bucks I would even pre-register, just thinking about passing on season ticks to a family member in TO or going to the WYC games. Indeed I am already musing about altering my work sched for 2007, will be complicated but could work it.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

It is a boring logo, but it is very Toronto, it is staid and normal and doesn't communicate much, but it is serious. You can trust it. And invest in it.

I'd rather have 'boring' than a soccer ball on fire and some goofy cartoon animal (like a Rhino, for intstance ;)).

If you look at the world's top clubs, most of their logos are nothing more than shields with the city's name and/or team acronym on it. Looking at this logo immediately associates it with a classic soccer-style design, which is obviously what the organization is aiming for.

As for the colours, I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that the majority of professional soccer teams have either blue or red as their primary colour.

They're not re-inventing the wheel here, and thankfully they're not trying to.

I really like the logo. It's not overly inspiring, but it's solid, looks good . It's maybe my favourite MLS logo and is definitely better than the USL teams logos.

I was pulling for City, but this was my second choice from among the short list of names being bandied about.

I'm happy that this team is off to the right start in a lot of areas. They may be areas that aren't critical to on-field success, but they reafffirm the idea that MLSE knows what they're doing.

cheers,

matthew

The name is good, nothing too trendy (xtreem, anything with a z, the colour teal ect) the logo is fine although it sort of reminds me of a smirnov ice lable. I especially like that they did not give a nickname, let one develop over time ( magpies, black cats, tractor boys ect).

I was a bit puzzled by the press release describing it as " Toronto's first professional soccer team" what about the lynx, blizzard and the others? In any event Toronto has a top level (north american division)club I wish them well.

I think the name fits the city, as Jeffrey said, and I don't actually mind it. Canadians are fairly conservative and a little boring around the edges overall anyways, so, what the heck eh? Red and white is the only logical colour scheme for Canada's team although it's not an obvious Toronto colour scheme. Hope they get their marketing together for a good first push. You'd have to be living in the Stone Age to think that they could survive without a strong start.

big fan of the logo, simple and to the point, no flaming balls or firebolts etc.

the name is good...i'll be calling them reds..but i guess that depends on what the dominant colour is..

My 50$ is down as well...Good going MLSE!!..now just dont Pat Quinn the team, and we'll have some progress!

I'm totally psyched..finally some pro level f-ball in the area...and i AM not counting the Stynx down as pro..

Sorry but I am not impressed, I echo G-man's comments (about the Toronto MLS team) that the name and logo suck! This feels like they took all of 1 min. to come up with this stuff. PATHETIC!!

Of course what do you expect- its MLSE, everything they touch turns to CRAP!! Just look at the Leafs and Raptors, both those franchises have been screwed up and it all starts from the top. I just can't wait to see what the heck they will do with 'Toronto FC', Oh the horror!

What happened to the Blizzard, that name has history and some good memories behind it, what the heck is a Toronto FC?!?

I wonder what the kits will look like, there's something worth waiting for :)

This name does not surprise me, look at some of the other crappy names in this league- LA Galaxy, Kansas City Wizards, New England Revolution- what kind of stupid names for soccer teams are those?? The logos aren't much better except for Chivas one- of course Mexico is more of a futbol nation then the U.S.

Here's hoping sometime down the road they decide to re-brand and come up with some thing better. Actually here's hoping someone else buys the team and gets it away from MLSE.

quote:This name does not surprise me, look at some of the other crappy names in this league- LA Galaxy, Kansas City Wizards, New England Revolution-

What happened to the Blizzard, that name has history and some good memories behind it, what the heck is a Toronto FC?!?

One can argue that Toronto Blizzard is just as stupid as LA Galaxy, Kansas City Wizards, New England Revolution. Who cares really if it has several years, at most, of history behind it.

Toronto FC actually breaks the trend of naming teams like LA Galaxy, KC, NE, etc ... so really I'm not sure what your argument is.

Aside from the Blizzard please suggest some other "smart" names.

<admin>

I can't believe it is necessary to post this EVERY time:

PLEASE KEEP COMMENTS RELATED TO SOCCER, AND REFRAIN FROM TAKING SHOTS AT EACH OTHER.

As I've said before, everyone who gets involved in the nonsense is responsible for the deterioration of these threads. If you want a better forum then help improve it by not replying to and hence prolonging the nonsense.

To G-Man: There is no need to bash things you don't agree with ad nauseam in every thread. Take a look at how, for example, TOAreaFan expresses displeasure and even harsh criticism (different from bashing) with regards to this topic and how his way of doing so is generally not objectionable to anyone.

To those responding to G-Man: "Taking shots" includes calling G-Man a "troll" or any other name. It is easier and less time consuming to do nothing than to reply to him.

As I said last time, I'm not going to waste my time again going through every post already made in this thread to edit them for content. From this point forward I will just delete entire posts if you can't follow the guidelines.

Do not further derail this thread by responding to this. E-mail me if you have a problem.

</admin>

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

Is this a booboo ...

Toronto FC will play at National Soccer Stadium at Exhibition Place.

I would think this is the temporary name until a sponsorship deal is worked out.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

No offence to Brennan, But I hope our CSA flagship Pro Team doesn't become a haven for every Canadian without a club.

Hopefully he can sign a contract somewhere and not sit out 10 months without a game. And with his skill and passion that should happen.

I would think that Brennan will end up back in the CCC or with some other Euro club next year, but I think he could be a guy that suits up with the Reds in 2007. Unless he has an outstanding 2006-07 Euro season, he's going to be in precarious place in his career -- a journeyman player that just turned 30 and requires a decent salary that veterans typically earn. He may be faced with the choice of a limited role on a Euro club, a step down in league quality (and pay) in order to have a regular starting job in Europe, or go to MLS.

It would be a good move for the new Toronto club. Brennan would be a solid MLS player with local connections and a marketable personality. He would have some good years of soccer left in him...it's not like when Bunbury went to KC for example.

Jason

I have been critical (some say very) of MLS and MLSE but my main beef has been over the lack of information provided about the team and stadium and the lack of the ability of people to purchase/reserve/plan for season tix.

So I believe it would be very disingenuous of me to not, today, congratulating them on taking some positive steps forward.

What I saw today was that they selected a name that showed they had listened to some of the comments on soccer boards (I frequent this board and Sportsnet's soccer forum and I often heard people say that true soccer nicknames develop rather than are granted). Toronto FC (acutally I favoured SC but that is quibbling) was likely my second choice. I am not Italian and I do not live in Woodbridge but I was a fan of Inter but I can and will support Toronto FC.

What I also saw today was, at least, an attempt to create logo that reflected Toronto and soccer traditions. I think they did a decent job here to. I would have prefered something even simpler (ie. the letters TFC layed over top of each other in the fashion of the New York Yankees or Glasgow Rangers (a team I love to hate but admire this aspect)) but, again, to not acknowledge the good job they did with their logo would be to quibble or, worse, to suggest that only my ideas are good ideas....I definitely do not believe that.

What I also saw was a fairly obvious choice of red as the colour but I think the grey is a nice twist. The colours will not mean much until we see the design of the strips...I bet they will do a decent job on this too. I would suggest/encourage that they get these designed and out fast as sports stores never see the traffic at soccer shirt section be any higher than during world cup....while people are buying the newest Brazil/England/Italy kit, try and sell them a TFC kit.

Most importantly, I also saw a place to reserve tix!!! Notwithstanding that I fully expect our company to be farely high on the list of existing MLSE customers contacted for tix (and our ticket co-ordinater has my name as the person who will budget and pay for the tix) I did register to show support and to mark my place in line. Like others have said, even if I don't buy the tix (that would only happen if we bought lots as a company) the other benefits are, in my mind, worth $50 (the only thing I would have added would have been TFC ball caps....get people like us wearing them so that others ask "what is TFC?"). If I can figure out the numbering system in my confirmation, I was the 104th person to do so. If half those people plan on 2 tix and half plan on 4 then they have "reservations" for 312 tix! They are already outdrawing Clyde!

Things today that disappointed me were the continued lack of information on the stadium. In fact, if we are to believe previous assertions that the rendering we have seen a thousand times is not the final thing, we actually received mis-information as that rendering was trotted out again and is now on the web page for the team. I was also disappointed in the statments regarding DeRosario.....doesn't he play for another team in the league? Is that not tampering? Comments that he should play for Toronto continue the image of the single entity format being more about marketing than competition.

All in all, a very positive day for MLSE, MLS and Toronto FC (the Yorkies)......little to grumble about just wish they had done it sooner and hope that the flow of info improves now that they have some of our money!!!

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

What I also saw was a fairly obvious choice of red as the colour but I think the grey is a nice twist. The colours will not mean much until we see the design of the strips...I bet they will do a decent job on this too. I would suggest/encourage that they get these designed and out fast as sports stores never see the traffic at soccer shirt section be any higher than during world cup....while people are buying the newest Brazil/England/Italy kit, try and sell them a TFC kit.

I doubt you will see the kits any time soon, T-shirts and other merchandise certainly but not the kits. Since kits are re-designed every season, I don't think you should expect a Toronto FC kit until late next winter or early next spring when MLS will unveil the kits for all the teams for the 2007 season.

My question is this: this logo is surely going to be on the top left of the jersey with the Adidas logo on the top right... I presume TORONTO will be spelled across the front?

I doubt you will see the kits any time soon, T-shirts and other merchandise certainly but not the kits. Since kits are re-designed every season, I don't think you should expect a Toronto FC kit until late next winter or early next spring when MLS will unveil the kits for all the teams for the 2007 season.

My question is this: this logo is surely going to be on the top left of the jersey with the Adidas log on the top right... I presume TORONTO will be spelled across the front?

quote:Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

You may be right but, since this is not a "redesign" but a launch..hopefully they will see the marketing opportunity presented by the WC.

quote:My question is this: this logo is surely going to be on the top left of the jersey with the Adidas logo on the top right... I presume TORONTO will be spelled across the front?

I would hope the home shirt has nothing spelled across the front (as we know who they are)....I could live with Toronto being spelled across the away kit.

I was also disappointed in the statments regarding DeRosario.....doesn't he play for another team in the league? Is that not tampering? Comments that he should play for Toronto continue the image of the single entity format being more about marketing than competition.

I never saw the actual conferene, but I was under the impression that Kevan Pipe made those comments.

While ill-advised, Pipe has (to my knowledge) no offical role with the team, therefore any tampering rules do not apply.

On the flip side, during The Score's coverage of the event they asked MLSE Chairman Larry Tanenbaum about possible players for the team, and he stated that he has no comments because he didn't want to tamper (or something along those lines).

Congratulations Toronto, lucky lucky Toronto. Great to have top notch soccer in your City :)

Is the field going to be plastic, too bad as it will limit National team games and international Rugby matches.

What's this about Montreal delaying their stadium plans, is it true?

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Portugal

name is generic but gives us the supporters option on a "nickname" whether it be red, city or nationals :D

Therein lies the beauty of the name choice. Many of the clubs in Europe inherit (by this I mean, "grow into") their names. It usually comes from an interesting quirk or an important event and is usually derived naturally by the fans and is widely accepted over time. Good move!

Archived