Canadians abroad: March 3-9, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Saturday, March 4

10:00 AM on Sportsnet — England: Premier League

Fulham (Tomasz Radzinski) vs. Arsenal

4:00 PM on GolTV Canada — Spain: Primera División

Barcelona vs. Deportivo de La Coruña (Julian de Guzman)

Sunday, March 5

11:00 AM on The Score — England: Premier League

Tottenham (Paul Stalteri) vs. Blackburn

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 3-9, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Marcel de Jong of Helmond Sport, who play a 4-3-3 not unlike that favoured by Frank Yallop, goes 90 minutes in a home victory over FC Zwolle. De Jong has played as an outside forward for most of this season.

Helmond Sport currently are 8th, but only 7 points out of first place. I believe that the top 6 teams qualify for some sort of promotion playoff.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Marcel de Jong of Helmond Sport, who play a 4-3-3 not unlike that favoured by Frank Yallop, goes 90 minutes in a home victory over FC Zwolle. De Jong has played as an outside forward for most of this season.

Helmond Sport currently are 8th, but only 7 points out of first place. I believe that the top 6 teams qualify for some sort of promotion playoff.

If I am not mistaken you have two groups of three who play a home and away playoff, four games in total. The two winners go up I think. A bit unfair as there is no incentive to win the 2nd division, you can take your playoff chances. Helmond played in the promotion last year and were knocked out by Sparta Rotterdam when Marcel was with our U-21s.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I remember watching that Sparta-Helmond match. I believe late in the game Helmond was in a position to advance, and then a goal by Sparta turned the tables.

It is rather complicated. The worst team in top flight relegates, and I am not sure but I think the winner of the 2nd division promotes. Then the next two go into this playoff round with six teams of the 2nd division, making up two groups of eight. In each group they play six games, home and away vs. all other sides, and the winner of each playoff round is promoted.

I am not entirely sure about this, as I think they credit teams who were strong at different periods of the league, an odd system, so I am lost there.

By the first set of logic, then, I would think that if Helmond is in the top 7 they go into the playoff for promotion, at least.

Helmond were ahead of Sparta after three games played last year, then they screwed up by drawing Zwolle, the worst side, and losing at home to Sparta 1-2 in the last.

Pesch has sub'd on for Derby at Vicarage Road in the 67th for Lisbie as Derby and Watford are level at 1 a piece. Can't be but 10 minute to go and if the scoreline holds a decent result for Derby.

Jim Brennan still on for Southampton at St. Mary's. Saints tied with Coventry nil-nil. Coventry with fresh legs up front right now. Also a good result for Southampton if it holds.

The Leicester faithful have seen their lads pull ahead of Hull twice and twice Hull have drawn level at the Walkers. Ian still on. A home victory would have propelled The Foxes up into safer territority on the table. Not much left now.

QPR holding Wolves nil-nil at Loftus Road. No Bircham today.

For those not watching Radz starts for Fulham at Craven Cottage but has been realy fighting the ball all match, as have most on Fulham's roster. Almost done now with Arsenal up 4-nil.

Oop. Forgot to mention Simpson not to be found anywhere at the New Den unless it's up in the grandstand somewhere. Marvin Williams has however put Millwall up 2-1 in added time against the much hated Luton Town. Millwall moves out of the drop zone for the time being.

Joey Gudjohnsson wins the points for Leicester with an 84th minute marker. Wild one out there for sure.

Speaking of wild, Saints score in the 81st only to surrender a penalty in the 88th (oh, oh). Oy! There's a grandstand finish.

Watford needs an added time goal to save a draw against Derby on there home turf after Barnes put Derby up 2-1 in the '86th.

Ends 4-nil in the bad for Fulham at Fortress Cottage. Ug. Radz goes the 90. Best thing to be said about the match for Fulham is their grounds keeper is genius. Arsenal continue to put pressure on 'Spurs for that last Champions League spot. Huge match at White Hart Lane tomorrow. Huge match as 'Spurs have to re-find their winning ways and it has to be now.

And a-way up nort', Inverness loose out 1-nil to Motherwell on a penalty. Hastings continuing to get the minutes in, this time 81 of them.

At Rugby Park Kili, less our Rhian Dodds, win the max points 1-0 against Dunfermline. For those who haven't noticed, Kili currently sits a point back of Hibs and two back of Rangers with the split fast approaching. European play for Kili is within reach. It's going to be a hard stretch, but it's there for the taking and wouldn't that be something.

It's more complicated than that but the winner of 2nd of first automatically promotes. I had posted the process last spring but don't have time at the moment find it. Maybe later.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

If I am not mistaken you have two groups of three who play a home and away playoff, four games in total. The two winners go up I think. A bit unfair as there is no incentive to win the 2nd division, you can take your playoff chances. Helmond played in the promotion last year and were knocked out by Sparta Rotterdam when Marcel was with our U-21s.

Guest Jeffery S.

Re Simpson, he was reported still injured, his knee, and was not slated to play for Millwall today.

Julian de Guzman came on 2nd half for Aldo Duscher with the score tied 2-2 at Camp Nou. Ended 3-2 as Barça beat Depor on an Eto'o goal, he was yellow carded fouling Ronaldinho. Also bled for most of the half. Full report on the De G thread in a few minutes.

For those who haven't noticed already Diesel (as per usual) starts at right 'back for 'Spurs at White Hart Lane. 'Spurs up 1-nil on an artfull Keane goal. Lots of piss and vinegar out there. Going to be a great match.

Paul's got quite the bandaging out there. Looking lobster boy on that right mitt. Could be tough shirt grabbing with the revitalized Craig Bellamy greyhounding out there.

Tune in to The Score.

Earlier today Feyenoord took Utrecht 3-nil. Jonothan de Guzman playing 90. Feyenoord seem intrenched in 2nd on the Eredivisie.

After a half it's 2-1 'Spurs. Keane added a 2nd goal on a rebound and Pongolle finishing off a perfect Bellamy cross from Robinson's left flank.

Spurs win 3-2 after Blackburn tied it after a spell of about 90% possession. Both Blackburn goals came down Spurs left flank & weren't helped by central defenders missing their mark. No doubt some of the morons on the Spurs bigsoccer board will blame Stalteri though, not because he was at fault in anyway but rather because they are morons. Paul played well, bandaged-thumb & all.

Diesel goes the duration as 'Spurs twice take the lead, twice loose the lead and then win it all against the run as Lennon's fresh legs allow Mido to convert with a tap in.

The good news is that Bellamy settled in on his prefered right side so he got to shred Lee and King for much of the 2nd half.

Great game, great croud, and a very timely win. Stalteri may yet see his return to Champion League this autumn.

I thought Diesel played well. Spurs fans are rating him abysmally awful at the rivals site. I don't know what they saw that I didn't. For whatever reason, I think he has been given the title "whipping boy" by spuds fans. What I don't get is how a fan can think a player is complete rubbish when a manager, whom one would expect is more football savvy than a supporter, pick the player game in and game out. Wouldn't a supporter say, "gee I don't see all his merits but a good football mind thinks he is a real asset. Perhaps I should wait to pass judgement".

Guest Jeffery S.

I am not sure to keep posting on Dani Fernandes or not, but for what it is worth he played 90 as Paok let a 0-1 lead go and ended up drawing 1-1, goal supposedly on a faulty clearance from a defender that went to a striker.

I know his numbers are good in Greece, but it would be nice to see him in a more dynamic league, with less conservative play, as it seems he stops three and lets in one or none a game, rarely has been super active, except maybe in that UEFA cup game vs. Donetsk. Just a matter of how you develop, in a more attacking style of play the keeper has to show more stuff, more crosses, more cutting off long balls coming through on a counter, maybe more fouls in close and free kicks to handle.

Some comments from the spurs supporters on BS:

"Stalteri put his arm right into the ball, and almost conceeded a penalty because of it. How has this guy (because this is far from his only mistake this season) started more games than any player on your team, while Stephen Kelly sits on the bench?"

"I never thought you could do worse that Stalteri until I saw that game. That said, Kelly was better the next few games, and probably deserves a shot anyway over the Canadian disaster"

"while Lee is mediocre at best, Stalteri's best is not even that lofty."

are these guys that far off, or are we seeing what we want to see?

Archived