Canadians abroad: March 3-9, 2006

DJT

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Some comments from the spurs supporters on BS:

"Stalteri put his arm right into the ball, and almost conceeded a penalty because of it. How has this guy (because this is far from his only mistake this season) started more games than any player on your team, while Stephen Kelly sits on the bench?"

"I never thought you could do worse that Stalteri until I saw that game. That said, Kelly was better the next few games, and probably deserves a shot anyway over the Canadian disaster"

"while Lee is mediocre at best, Stalteri's best is not even that lofty."

are these guys that far off, or are we seeing what we want to see?

These comments though are all from the same two posters. Noone else has posted about Stalteri on the thread. That being said these guys are that far off. Stalteri is no technical artist and doesn't always look that good out there (which is why he is always a target of criticism) but yet he is effective. The same thing happened in Bremen where he was also constantly criticized and every year won his job back from the player signed by Werder to replace him. It was several years before the Werder fans began to realize how important he was to the team but by the time he left he was respected throughout Germany. In Tottenham he has the added problem of starting instead of a very mediocre but vocal Ireland national team player who has a large contingent of fans who are going to bitch about Stalteri no matter how good he plays.

Pretty much echo that. Not a spectacular season by any stretch for our man, but he's been the most solid player on that back line from what I've seen. King hasn't been the same since he's come back but he'll find his paces again and Lee is just a disaster. How Jol didn't replace him in the January window I've no idea.

Season is 2/3rds done and the attack is still trying to go up the gut. Again and again and again. Not bad I guess but if it ain't working what the Hell? Diesel dose a **** pile of usefull running up that wing but may as well be invisible. If Jol can get Keane, Jenas and company to look wing when the play justifies there'd be a different tune sung by a few haters I can tell you. As it is, those touch line decoys are buying time and space for others but no reward for Paul.

Wouldn't worry about a couple of twats on BigSoccer. Stalteri has made a name for himself already and Kelly rides the pine.

I dont watch alot of EPL, so i'll have to trust you guys on this one. I guess i had a doubt because ive never seen stalteri step up and have a 'moment' while playing for canada that set him apart as a true leader and one of our best players- unlike other vets have had (devos, mckenna, brennan, even derosario).

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Not bad I guess but if it ain't working what the Hell? Diesel dose a **** pile of usefull running up that wing but may as well be invisible. If Jol can get Keane, Jenas and company to look wing when the play justifies there'd be a different tune sung by a few haters I can tell you. As it is, those touch line decoys are buying time and space for others but no reward for Paul.

Wouldn't worry about a couple of twats on BigSoccer. Stalteri has made a name for himself already and Kelly rides the pine.

Sounds about right. Stalteri is quite offensive-minded and has

created lots of chances for his team. His foray into the box has

caused a hand-ball situation on the defender, leading to a FK,

eventually to a Keane goal (2nd). Jol seems to realize his

attacking abilities as well as his defensive attributes. I don't

think many players in the EPL can do the same, ceratinly not Kelly.

If Paul is not welcomed at Spurs, other teams will easily queue up.

I still remember the game when he bashed his head & kept playing ...

Guest Jeffery S.

Aguiar played 90 as Gondomar drew Liga de Honra leaders Beira Mar, his former team, 2-2 at home. He had a yellow in m. 46 in a game they only tied in extra time.

Gondomar is 7 back of a direct promotion spot with 9 games left in the league. Beira Mar will certainly go back up, the other two spots are still up in the air.

His former team Penafiel is certain to drop down again from top flight to Liga de Honra.

No Marco Bras for Pampilhose, who drew scoreless away to Fatima in third tier Division C.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

These comments though are all from the same two posters. Noone else has posted about Stalteri on the thread. That being said these guys are that far off.

I would agree. Its difficult to know who is more off the mark is, those guys or the guy in the Concacaf forum who continually & sinceredly insists that St. Vincent & the Grenandines are better than Canada.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Sounds about right. Stalteri is quite offensive-minded and has

created lots of chances for his team. His foray into the box has

caused a hand-ball situation on the defender, leading to a FK,

eventually to a Keane goal (2nd). Jol seems to realize his

attacking abilities as well as his defensive attributes. I don't

think many players in the EPL can do the same, ceratinly not Kelly.

If Paul is not welcomed at Spurs, other teams will easily queue up.

I still remember the game when he bashed his head & kept playing ...

LOL Offensive minded?? Are-you sure we are talking about the same player? He is not that bad in is defensive role, but he just don't have the skill to play with the ball, and absolutely no creativity. He's a great guy, with a great attitude, an average EPL player, nothing more nothing less. He is effective when he plays in is limits (defensive) cause he can't run with the ball and his cross are poor.

quote:Originally posted by ubuntu

LOL Offensive minded?? Are-you sure we are talking about the same player? He is not that bad in is defensive role, but he just don't have the skill to play with the ball, and absolutely no creativity. He's a great guy, with a great attitude, an average EPL player, nothing more nothing less. He is effective when he plays in is limits (defensive) cause he can't run with the ball and his cross are poor.

Well he may be average in your eyes, but even in the Bundesliga

he moves into the offense quite a lot. The goal I was referring to

was due to Paul going in one of his runs. Don't forget he was used

in many roles with Bremen, even in midfield and as striker.

And we know what he does in international play, which you may have

not seen previously. His role is not as a typical right back,

but you're entitled to your opinion.

quote:Originally posted by ubuntu

Well he may be average in your eyes, but even in the Bundesliga

he moves into the offense quite a lot. The goal I was referring to

was due to Paul going in one of his runs. Don't forget he was used

in many roles with Bremen, even in midfield and as striker.

And we know what he does in international play, which you may have

not seen previously. His role is not as a typical right back,

but you're entitled to your opinion.

Simpson played 90 and Peart came on in minute 59 but Lombard still loses again to Sopron to remain in last place. I think this was Peart's first match as a professional.

Borsodi Liga, 17. forduló: FC Sopron-Lombard Pápa FC 2-0 (1-0)

2006. március 04. 19:20:41 nyomtatási kép cikk küldése

Sopron, 2.600 nézõ.

Játékvezetõk: Erdõs József (Vámos T., Tompos Z.).

Sopron: Rabóczki - Sartor, Ibric, Bagoly, Radu - Silvestri, Cotan, Horváth A., Cigan - Demjén, Feczesin. Vezetõedzõ: Dario Bonetti.

Lombard: Szûcs - Varga D., Farkas A., Mumba, Geri - Lipták - Kincses, Elder, Müller - Simpson, Stevica. Szakmai igazgató: Gálhidi György.

Gólszerzõk: Demjén (37.), Cigan (71.).

Csere: Feczesin helyett Sifter (16.), Kincses helyett Szabó II. Z. (46.), Stevica helyett Peart (59.), Elder helyett Ujhegyi (74.), Cotan helyett Sira (85.), Cigan helyett Birtalan (90.).

Sárga lap: Stevica (29.).

Atiba and FCK with a two-goal lead going into today's Royal League game against Hammarby. Hammarby wins 2-0, game goes to penalties, Atiba tucks his neatly inside the left post, FCK's keeper stops three in a row. FCK advances to semis.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by mjoni

Atiba and FCK with a two-goal lead going into today's Royal League game against Hammarby. Hammarby wins 2-0, game goes to penalties, Atiba tucks his neatly inside the left post, FCK's keeper stops three in a row. FCK advances to semis.

Occean's Lillestrom goes against IFK at home midday Saturday in the remaining quarter final. I think Djurgarden and that unspellable Danish team (Midtjylland) are also through with FCK.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Simpson played 90 and Peart came on in minute 59 but Lombard still loses again to Sopron to remain in last place. I think this was Peart's first match as a professional.

Borsodi Liga, 17. forduló: FC Sopron-Lombard Pápa FC 2-0 (1-0)

2006. március 04. 19:20:41 nyomtatási kép cikk küldése

Sopron, 2.600 nézõ.

Játékvezetõk: Erdõs József (Vámos T., Tompos Z.).

Sopron: Rabóczki - Sartor, Ibric, Bagoly, Radu - Silvestri, Cotan, Horváth A., Cigan - Demjén, Feczesin. Vezetõedzõ: Dario Bonetti.

Lombard: Szûcs - Varga D., Farkas A., Mumba, Geri - Lipták - Kincses, Elder, Müller - Simpson, Stevica. Szakmai igazgató: Gálhidi György.

Gólszerzõk: Demjén (37.), Cigan (71.).

Csere: Feczesin helyett Sifter (16.), Kincses helyett Szabó II. Z. (46.), Stevica helyett Peart (59.), Elder helyett Ujhegyi (74.), Cotan helyett Sira (85.), Cigan helyett Birtalan (90.).

Sárga lap: Stevica (29.).

A big game today vs Ferencvaros.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

I know you don't like Gerba, but if you say that Lillestrom is Occean club, you could at least said the same thing about Gerba and IFK ;)

Sorry, but I get confused with that other club in Sweden, something like AIK or AEK I think, so when I saw this I really was not sure.

I am not known to leave out information, if anything I report too much. So no need to see bad intentions.

As for Gerba, if he proves himself to be worthwhile and could do something for us all the better, I just think he has a ways to go still, or at least has not played to his club level in his few national team outings.

Archived