Toronto Stadium News

Jarrek

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

any more real updates on the stadium? New pics of construction? Does anyone no when the MLSE will offically announce everything?

There will be an announcement once MLSE receives all the cheques from the various paying parties. In the meantime, MLSE have gone a head and begun construction, presumably paying out of their own pocket in order not to lose precious construction time.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

There will be an announcement once MLSE receives all the cheques from the various paying parties. In the meantime, MLSE have gone a head and begun construction, presumably paying out of their own pocket in order not to lose precious construction time.

Yes they have gone ahead and I do believe they had to go ahead to meet the schedules.

Conveniently, however, going ahead also raised the pressure on the various parties to close the $10 million (or so) funding gap that existed in the captial budget. This increased pressure was, no doubt, a contributing factor in the parties agreeing to sell the naming rights to MLSE for the $10 million needed without any public tendering process. Not often in business that you get to put a pressure tactic like this on your negoitiating counter party and get thanked for it!

I don't think it's right for a project funded mostly by government money to begin construction without being publically announced and presented. We should at least know exactly what this stadium will look like by now.

Guest Domi Rulezz
quote:Originally posted by Robert

Good to see the asphalt has been scraped off already. Almost time to go begging to the Feds for that money they promised, eh Kevan? Maybe you can get the hole dug by May.

Why don't you do us all a favour and return to that hole you seem to have dug for yourself?

if you build it, $$$ will come.

remember, PC have nothing in toronto. for them to do an about face, ummmm...highly unlikely, you see, here in the big smoke, we do not have to beg, we just demand it and we get it, simple as that, hehehe. [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by Franky

if you build it, $$$ will come.

remember, PC have nothing in toronto. for them to do an about face, ummmm...highly unlikely, you see, here in the big smoke, we do not have to beg, we just demand it and we get it, simple as that, hehehe. [}:)]

If the Conservatives (there is no more PC party) came out next week and said...."Toronto, we are going to fund 1/3 of the cost of your new subway to York University but part of that money is a re-allocation of the funds of we were previously giving to the soccer stadium. So, sorry, we are pulling back the $25 million for the stadium but, instead, giving you $500 million for your subway."....do you think Toronto or Torontonians would view that as an "about face". I don't.

I am not saying this is going to happen but it is one of the flaws that internet bulletin boards face. We are all here because we are soccer/footie fans. So, on this board, we tend to look at things through the eyes of a fan. Most people are less interested in soccer and governments, certainly, have to balance a whole bunch of interests. I guess what I am saying, in response to your suggestion that politically the tories can not afford to turn away from this stadium, is that I doubt the funding of this stadium would have much to do with their future in Toronto. How they support Toronto as a whole will have more impact.

To support this, just for fun next week at your work ask as many non-soccer fans what they think of the new stadium. Bet you the response is much like mine...."what stadium".

i might be wrong on this, but most of the onus is upon the province (liberals) and the outlying GTA (Vughan in particular) that funds need to be derived for the subway to br built at York Univ. David Miller had this fullout discussion on the CP 24 yesterday or something, sbout this subject.

I'm sure the regular hands out to the federal government will be fully stretched out for T.O.'s commuting infrastructure. but i doubt the federal government will be asked for this money years down the road.

Look how long it took to finalize a worthless Sheppard subway line and how long it took to finally extend the Spadina subway line from Wilson Stn to Downswview Stn. (i should know that one, i lived around the corner and thought easy commuting for me until i got my license to drive, you know TTC; Take The Car. by the time they finalized it, i finished univ, got married and moved north. too late, don't need it anymore.

i am one that needs to be convinced about certain projects, you know, promises..promises..promises. Well, i always said, until i see a shovel in the ground, then i can be rest assured. sooo, having a few mighty machines tearing up the old Hockey Hall of Fame and prepping the foundations is enough for me to say that i am convinced.

oh and i forgot to add, i did mention this on a previous post a while back ago. WHen Toronto got the informal nod for an mls team and the okay for a stadia, people at work, actually approached me and were excited about the whole ordeal and going as far as to say the Blizzard are back. Once in a while, they ask about the progress of the team and stadia, since i am the goto person about this subject.

A couple of claims by Gross in this article strike me as dubious and/or incorrect, but I thought worth posting here anyway:

Peddie Passionate About Soccer Team

By GEORGE GROSS, TORONTO SUN

Richard Peddie often is referred to as the meddling, millionaire president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd.

But Peddie, who has a record of top executive positions in various branches of the industry, marches to his own drummer. He has immaculate business ethics that translate into money-making balance sheets for owners.

Even now he has a two-year plan before he retires -- which includes the company's participation in soccer.

Peddie is enthusiastic about the future of the MLSEL team in Major League Soccer, an organization owned by wealthy American businessmen, including Lamar Hunt of Dallas and billionaire Philip Anschutz of Denver. They, between them, own eight of the franchises.

That doesn't bother Peddie. Neither is he concerned by the fact that the league, not the individual clubs, owns all the players and assigns them to the various teams.

Peddie's background of half a dozen executive posts gives him the assurance that he can do anything, including meddling into the affairs of the Leafs and Raptors. As he says: "I'm the CEO, I should know what's going on."

A stickler when it comes to research, Peddie knows that many local teams -- with the exception of Steve Stavro's Toronto City of the 1960s -- have failed in the promotion of soccer. But as a calculating businessman, Peddie figured out that the new MLSEL team, yet to be named, has a good chance to succeed.

"We present our board every October with a plan for the future," he said. "Two years ago, we presented two ideas for the board's consideration. One was the building of Maple Leaf Square with the intent of selling all the condos.

"The second idea was to become involved in professional soccer. We had several meetings with MLS commissioner (Don) Garber and Ontario Soccer Association president (Guy) Bradbury. We also analyzed the situation and took into consideration the influx of various nationalities to Toronto in recent years.

"We have a few things going for us. First of all, we have all the resources we need. We've already paid $10 million for the franchise. Secondly, we will have a stadium at the CNE that will seat 20,000. We will also host the world under-20 championship which will focus sports fans' interest on soccer, and so, of course will the interest reach fever pitch with the 2006 World Cup in Germany."

These temporary events may help focus fan interest on soccer, but only for a short period. In order to succeed, the Toronto team must field quality first-division soccer players from Europe, Britain or South America. Moreover, the team must be a winner to keep the fans interested.

"We researched the soccer situation thoroughly," Peddie said.

"We knew the stadium was of paramount importance. We were open-minded about going to York University, or Downsview. However, the general consensus was that the CNE grounds were the best location."

MLSEL hopes to sign a top-level sports executive for the soccer team, similar to the Raptors' Bryan Colangelo.

MLSEL plans to invite soccer teams from overseas -- think Arsenal, Inter Milan, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich -- for exhibition matches against the MLSEL team and against each other.

"In two years, I'll be around 60 and might decide to take it easy," Peddie said. By then, who knows, the Maple Leafs and the new soccer team might be cup contenders.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

To support this, just for fun next week at your work ask as many non-soccer fans what they think of the new stadium. Bet you the response is much like mine...."what stadium".

The response from sports fans who are not traditional soccer fans has actually been pretty good. Partially because Dave Perkins in his campaign of hate against MLSE has kept the stadium in the news.

Now, people who are not into sports at all are less aware that there is a stadium coming....hardly surprising though. A lot of non-opera fans are not aware there is a new opera house being built Toronto as well. Its simply par for the course, even if they happen to walk by the construction site every day.

George Gross to be inducted into Canada's Soccer Hall Of Fame this April,has been a great supporter of soccer for many years.I am surprised that Peddie refers to Guy Bradbury as the president of the Ontario Soccer Association.Guy is the executive director.Makes you wonder if they even met and paid attention.George also was the one who brought over Danny Banchflower,Sir Stanley Matthews and others.

I guess George is correct to say that the Toronto City team was a success.In those years the management of Toronto City included Harold Ballard.

G.L is correct that this Jerkins guy is doing us a favour by keeping this stadium thing in the paper.I am concerned that Jerkie may create an anti soccer feeling and if the non soccer fan may know about "our" stadium may have a dislike already reading this stuff.

I just hope that the Star will follow up on George's article and write something positive about "our" stadium and the fantastic potential that exist to show the world how people get along so well

in this town.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

i might be wrong on this, but most of the onus is upon the province (liberals) and the outlying GTA (Vughan in particular) that funds need to be derived for the subway to br built at York Univ. David Miller had this fullout discussion on the CP 24 yesterday or something, sbout this subject.

I believe the funding formula is expected/hoped to be 1/3 municipal (split between Toronto and Vaughan), 1/3 Provincial and 1/3 Federal....just as recent funding for transit infrastructure has been.

Having said that, I was simply using the York Subway as an example of other funding issues that Toronto and the Feds are talking about. The entire political future of the Conservative party does not, as was suggested, rest with their funding, or not funding, this stadium. I believe they will honour the previous government's commitment to this stadium......I just don't think their political lives depend on it.

In the light of the announcement that a Hotel was to be tied into the Stadium project, here is an article from 2004 that outlined the original plan for the CNE hotel. Windsor arms were still involvedhttp://www.ntc.on.ca/show_press_2004_06_1.shtml

June 24, 2004

City Council Green Lights Hotel Development at Exhibition Place

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO - City of Toronto Council has approved a development proposal for a new hotel/conference facility at Exhibition Place.

The 175-room hotel and 50,000-square-foot conference centre are to be built on the lands south of The National Trade Centre and west of the 75-year-old Automotive Building. George Friedmann, owner of the Windsor Arms Hotel, heads the development to be designed by Murray Beynon of Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects (BBB). Construction is likely to commence in September 2005 with opening tentatively scheduled for April 2007.

"This is outstanding news for both Exhibition Place and the City of Toronto," said Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone, Chairman of Exhibition Place. "This hotel will definitely contribute to incremental year-round use of Exhibition Place and provide long-term support for The National Trade Centre."

Besides creating a business synergy with the The National Trade Centre, the hotel will also support the recently renovated Ricoh Coliseum, a 10,000-seat professional hockey and entertainment complex.

"There is total clarity in terms of the long-term plan for this great site," said Dianne Young, CEO, Exhibition Place. "The new hotel complex is an integral part of the 2004 development plans that call for new or expanded infrastructure and innovation at Exhibition Place right through 2010."

The proposed development is just one element of the development plan recently unveiled for the Exhibition Place site. Upcoming developments include the renovation of the Horticulture Building as an entertainment complex and the re-opening of the Bandshell Café. Site-wide, continued environmental improvements are being undertaken that will make Exhibition Place totally self-sustainable in terms of energy consumption by 2010.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

In the light of the announcement that a Hotel was to be tied into the Stadium project, here is an article from 2004 that outlined the original plan for the CNE hotel. Windsor arms were still involvedhttp://www.ntc.on.ca/show_press_2004_06_1.shtml

June 24, 2004

City Council Green Lights Hotel Development at Exhibition Place

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORONTO - City of Toronto Council has approved a development proposal for a new hotel/conference facility at Exhibition Place.

The 175-room hotel and 50,000-square-foot conference centre are to be built on the lands south of The National Trade Centre and west of the 75-year-old Automotive Building. George Friedmann, owner of the Windsor Arms Hotel, heads the development to be designed by Murray Beynon of Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects (BBB). Construction is likely to commence in September 2005 with opening tentatively scheduled for April 2007.

"This is outstanding news for both Exhibition Place and the City of Toronto," said Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone, Chairman of Exhibition Place. "This hotel will definitely contribute to incremental year-round use of Exhibition Place and provide long-term support for The National Trade Centre."

Besides creating a business synergy with the The National Trade Centre, the hotel will also support the recently renovated Ricoh Coliseum, a 10,000-seat professional hockey and entertainment complex.

"There is total clarity in terms of the long-term plan for this great site," said Dianne Young, CEO, Exhibition Place. "The new hotel complex is an integral part of the 2004 development plans that call for new or expanded infrastructure and innovation at Exhibition Place right through 2010."

The proposed development is just one element of the development plan recently unveiled for the Exhibition Place site. Upcoming developments include the renovation of the Horticulture Building as an entertainment complex and the re-opening of the Bandshell Café. Site-wide, continued environmental improvements are being undertaken that will make Exhibition Place totally self-sustainable in terms of energy consumption by 2010.

Thanks, I recalled that story and I believe I refered to it when the hotel was "re-announced" as a product of the stadium development.

Attempting to tie this hotel to the stadium raises questions in my mind...why do they think they have to do it? The fact that the hotel was already planned was, as you have confirmed, a matter of public record. I think all the stadium did was change the location on the grounds.

Interesting common link between the stadium and hotel, however, is that Murray Beynon of Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects (BBB)is designing both.

holy cow, my cousin worked at the Windsor Arms for a while, i wonder if he knows anything about this. He moved on to West Palm and is working at the Four Seasons (Blair, G-L you guys met him), i emailed him, hoping to shed some light on the issue.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Interesting common link between the stadium and hotel, however, is that Murray Beynon of Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects (BBB)is designing both.

I suppose that having one architect for both makes the process of merging the projects together much easier logistically.

"These temporary events may help focus fan interest on soccer, but only for a short period. In order to succeed, the Toronto team must field quality first-division soccer players from Europe, Britain or South America. Moreover, the team must be a winner to keep the fans interested.

"We researched the soccer situation thoroughly," Peddie said."

You who, Andy. How will this help the Canadian national team, you lying scumbag?

quote:Originally posted by Robert

You who, Andy. How will this help the Canadian national team, you lying scumbag?

Who's andy? and what did he lie about?

MLS dictates that there must be a certain number of domestic players. I think THATs how this will help the MNT. but I don't want to speak for Andy.

quote:Originally posted by mlsintoronto

Who's andy? and what did he lie about?

MLS dictates that there must be a certain number of domestic players. I think THATs how this will help the MNT. but I don't want to speak for Andy.

Ya but what if all the best Canadian players in North America are playing for the Impact or the Whitecaps and that most of the MNT will continue to play in Europe.

Just how has the MLSE run Raptors helped the Canadian men's basketball team?. The best Canadian player plays in the States, why would soccer be any different?

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Um, the Raptors aren't force to have 8 of 12 players be Canadian. If they did, do you think Canada would be better in basketball? Maybe? Just a little better maybe?

Don't bother trying to use logic in talking to G-Man.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Um, the Raptors aren't force to have 8 of 12 players be Canadian. If they did, do you think Canada would be better in basketball? Maybe? Just a little better maybe?

Maybe not for Canada, but the Raptors would be a better team than the pile of garbage they currently have.

Archived