Toronto Stadium News

Jarrek

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by bmac

A short article by Peter Mallett in today's [Ap.5] Globe & Mail reports that an "inspection team" from FIFA is to arrive in B.C. to begin a tour of the U-20 host cities.

What's the point? Sounds like a "boondoggle" to me. I am not sure what they are going to inspect apart from the better restaurants in each city.

It does however conclude [relevance to post]that there will be a wrap-up new conference in TO at which further details concerning the new stadium "are expected to be announced".

Actually this is essential for a good tournament. You should probably have the Vancouver Olympic people looking in just to learn a few things.

Inspection involves taking a look at existing infrastructures and future organizational need and what is going to be done to improve them, including security questions, press comfort and facilities, transport links, all the logistical things that have to be in place and thought through before a large event. Maybe even they would be analyzing practice facilities and the transport and security they have.

Basically you run through everything and see how on the ball the local organizers are, where they need to improve, where they need to formalize their protocols more specifically. As with the Olympics, again, the event works in large part because the umbrella organization stays on top of it and sets down the way it is supposed to happen. If the CSA or Canada do not seem to be doing the job they would even find themselves with FIFA people stepping in to cover. But after the experience of the World Women's Youth Cup, we should have a clear enough idea of what is up.

http://22066.vws.magma.ca/canjam01.htm

Final Score:...........Canada...........1..........Jamaica..........0............

The play by Canada seemed to be a lot of longball and the Jamaicans looked just a bit more disciplined then back in 1994 (?) qualifying or the Caribana Cup but not much.

The game was delayed 30 minutes so the stadium could be crammed with more fans. Jamaican support was about 80% in my section anyway. I bought my ticket last night while at the Lynx game. 8000 people by tv news sports report at 11pm.

I didn't hear if the team lineups were read out over the PA. They seemed to be more anxious to warn people not to run onto the field. (didn't happen).

........................................................................................

That was from my game report back in 1999. A sell out in Varsity Stadium for the time as the other half had already been condemned as unsafe.

I've also been to a game between Turkey and Costa Rica(?) around that era that was a sellout.

Archived