Toronto Stadium News

Jarrek

quote:Originally posted by Richard

G-Man, do you ever have anything constructive to say about soccer in Canada?

yes I do. I made a very positive comment about the Metro-Croatians. How they were 30 years ahead in it's marketing the game to North America. When other were reaching out to the great soccer waste lands of white suburbia, naming teams "Surf" "TeaMen" "Strikers" "Rougues" "Cosmos" they were being proudly euro.

30 year later, the MLS starts calling teams "Real" "FC" "Dynamo" "Chivas" and the soon to be Toronto "Hindu African UK Continentals"

Like I said. A very positive comment on a Toronto soccer team. (the Metro-Croatians)

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

I agree with G-Man that the journalist, or perhaps the source, effectively treated the "ethnics" as on-a-tight-income types. Thus associating the groups referred to -Italians would be first on their minds- with the local working class.

That is racial typing and, apart from being totally untrue considering the evolution of such groups over the generations, reflects they don't know their market as well as they think they do.

I'm more concerned about the reference to this stadium being referred to as "very very basic" stadium. This is the problem with the whole project...so much is dependant on the facility, and so much time was wasted finding a site, that now we're going to have a very generic, facility.

I'm glad Joey is taking his time and looking for a better site option...because you don't want to be stuck with a crappy stadium that was built in a rush for 2007.

Give me a break. You guys are fishing for something or you're too sensative. Hopkinson says "it's an affordable sports event geared toward families and the ethnic market, with the average ticket price in the $20-30 range." You know the only reason he said ethnics is because ethnics are more interested in soccer than anglos, at least in Toronto.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Manuel

Give me a break. You guys are fishing for something or you're too sensative. Hopkinson says "it's an affordable sports event geared toward families and the ethnic market, with the average ticket price in the $20-30 range." You know the only reason he said ethnics is because ethnics are more interested in soccer than anglos, at least in Toronto.

I have to agree with you This is fishing for problems that are not there.

You could easily mash three different ideas into one sentence and have it sound like one thing but mean another.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I have to agree with you This is fishing for problems that are not there.

You could easily mash three different ideas into one sentence and have it sound like one thing but mean another.

Certain posters on this board are famous for finding real and imaginary faults with everything connected to Toronto's stadium and MLS project. Its simply par for the course here.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Certain posters on this board are famous for finding real and imaginary faults with everything connected to Toronto's stadium and MLS project. Its simply par for the course here.

The big fault with the Toronto MLS project is that Toronto is a terrible market for a local pro soccer team.

Can't get around that one. And demeaning people by suggesting the only reason they'll go to a game is that they're "Ethnic" isn't going to sell a ton of tickets.

And the stadium is butt ugly.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I'm more concerned about the reference to this stadium being referred to as "very very basic" stadium.....

I'm glad Joey is taking his time and looking for a better site option...because you don't want to be stuck with a crappy stadium that was built in a rush for 2007.

Joey's stadium will cost $17 million according to him. If you think Toronto's stadium is basic, Montreal's will be bare-bones. Expect a stadium consisting of prefab bleachers and grass embankments.

Joey's stadium will cost $17 million according to him. If you think Toronto's stadium is basic, Montreal's will be bare-bones. Expect a stadium consisting of prefab bleachers and grass embankments.

stop being so negative towards montreal. montreal's actually looks like a small uero pitch, while the future home of the MLS looks like a 1970 concrete slab in need of a roof and a track.

You can build one hell of a nice little stadium for $17 million. Not everything needs to be gold plated.

Rochester's PAETEC Park is being built for roughly $27 Million CAD and it is mint. It is also much bigger, and has the added intitial expense of artificial turf.

When you are building a SSS that has one job to do, $17 million is plenty. If anyone was willing to throw $17 million Calgary's way, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

montreal's actually looks like a small uero pitch

And you figured this out how? From that one picture of the outer wall? From that artist's rendering with a sattelite's eye view?

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

You can build one hell of a nice little stadium for $17 million. Not everything needs to be gold plated.

Rochester's PAETEC Park is being built for roughly $27 Million CAD and it is mint. It is also much bigger, and has the added intitial expense of artificial turf.

When you are building a SSS that has one job to do, $17 million is plenty. If anyone was willing to throw $17 million Calgary's way, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I read a MacLean's article on how much money there is in Calgary right now. No soccer-loving sugar daddies out there Cooks?

stop being so negative towards montreal. montreal's actually looks like a small uero pitch, while the future home of the MLS looks like a 1970 concrete slab in need of a roof and a track.

You should take your own advice with regards to Toronto. 'Pogey Park', 'Concrete Slab'.

Hypocrite.

You should take your own advice with regards to Toronto. 'Pogey Park', 'Concrete Slab'.

Hypocrite.

You can tell what you want. all I said was stop being negative towards Montreal. Without Government money- that pitch doesn't get built. So the term "Pogey Park" fits. And if you really don't like the Toronto MLS team being questioned, there is a great **** eating Toronto MLS fan site you can also head to. Where never is a negative word heard.

Until 2009. when the word will be "relocate" and it'll be used the following manner.

The Toronto Sealers United have been relocated to Montreal.

quote:I read a MacLean's article on how much money there is in Calgary right now. No soccer-loving sugar daddies out there Cooks?

If there were, I'd have slept with all of them by now. :) (To paraphrase Bart Simpson, "You don't want to know how far I'll go to get a stadium in Calgary)

You can tell what you want. all I said was stop being negative towards Montreal. Without Government money- that pitch doesn't get built. So the term "Pogey Park" fits. And if you really don't like the Toronto MLS team being questioned, there is a great **** eating Toronto MLS fan site you can also head to. Where never is a negative word heard.

Until 2009. when the word will be "relocate" and it'll be used the following manner.

The Toronto Sealers United have been relocated to Montreal.

Touched a nerve there did I G-man? The truth really does hurt doesn't it, lol.

A short article by Peter Mallett in today's [Ap.5] Globe & Mail reports that an "inspection team" from FIFA is to arrive in B.C. to begin a tour of the U-20 host cities.

What's the point? Sounds like a "boondoggle" to me. I am not sure what they are going to inspect apart from the better restaurants in each city.

It does however conclude [relevance to post]that there will be a wrap-up new conference in TO at which further details concerning the new stadium "are expected to be announced".

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The Hull City Stadium is a great looking stadium. However, it cost 44 million pounds in 2001-2002 to build (built in 14 months) which is about 90 million CDN. The MLSE budget is 62 million.

MLSE are a bunch of tight a$$es, they would spend 60 million a year on a crap hockey team, and now that there is a cap, they only spend 40 mil. They should go all out on the stadium so that its exactly like the one in the Hull link above. The bleacher ROOF is KEY!@!!, it'll bring people to the game when its raining!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The Hull City Stadium is a great looking stadium. However, it cost 44 million pounds in 2001-2002 to build (built in 14 months) which is about 90 million CDN. The MLSE budget is 62 million.

MLSE are a bunch of tight a$$es, they would spend 60 million a year on a crap hockey team, and now that there is a cap, they only spend 40 mil. They should go all out on the stadium so that its exactly like the one in the Hull link above. The bleacher ROOF is KEY!@!!, it'll bring people to the game when its raining!

Archived