Toronto Stadium News

Jarrek

Guest Jeffery S.

Two things about that Gross article to comment on.

I know it is mostly a marketing angle, but when the team will be mostly Canadians and they will be just as big a draw as the foreigners (or so I see it) I don't get the idea of repeating an NASL concept of high-profile foreigners. But so be it, we know the truth will be otherwise.

Second, interesting that MLSE attributes early interest NOT to the CSA but to the Ontario assocciation getting involved and warming interest. Maybe they just spoke to them first, maybe the CSA was not on board from the start, or maybe it is a gesture to a friend, I don't know. But since the CSA has gotten almost all the credit and the OSA none in the creation of this franchise, perhaps things should be balanced out a bit.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like South Jersey will be in for 2009 according to this article in the Courier Post:

Major League Soccer is coming to South Jersey.

Rowan University on Monday will announce a joint venture with MLS to build a soccer stadium at the school to serve as home for a new professional franchise in 2009, Rowan spokesman Joe Cardona said Thursday.

Cardona said the new stadium will be across from the school's new technology center on Route 322 and will be part of a complex that is "unlike anything on the East Coast."

The stadium also will serve as home to Rowan's soccer program and could host high school events as well as youth soccer tournaments, camps and showcases.

"Wow" was the word of the day in the South Jersey scholastic soccer community.

"Wow," Eastern High School boys' soccer coach Pete DeFeo said.

"It shows how much impact the sport has in South Jersey."

Said Delran boys' coach Mike Otto: "Wow. That's exciting. This will open up all kinds of opportunities."

Said Delsea boys' coach Vince Nestore: "It's a great thing for South Jersey soccer, for the young kids to see those guys."

Cardona said the new franchise has not yet been identified or named.

It's not clear if the team would be an expansion franchise or be relocated from another area.

There are 12 teams in MLS, the highest level of professional soccer in the U.S.

New Jersey's last entry in the MLS was the New York/New Jersey Metro Stars, which were sold last week and renamed Red Bull New York.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Maybe not for Canada, but the Raptors would be a better team than the pile of garbage they currently have.

Name me 8-12 Canadian players better than Chris Bosh, Charlie Villanueva, Morris Peterson and Mike James.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I just hope that the Star will follow up on George's article and write something positive about "our" stadium and the fantastic potential that exist to show the world how people get along so well

in this town.

quote:Originally posted by john tvAnyway i was sitting just about on the other side and had serious problems hearing Paul since 5 of our group were busy jabbing away in their own world and bery loudly at that. I asked them to keep it down and all I heard come on John.They could not care less who or what,just their own little world. Well I gave them the finger. Jerks!

quote:Originally posted by john tvyou don't have a grip, it was not a board meeting but I was brought up with some sort of politness and these guys were assholes!

I agree John you Torontonians are all Gandhi juniors. ;)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Name me 8-12 Canadian players better than Chris Bosh, Charlie Villanueva, Morris Peterson and Mike James.

Seems to me that Toronto is close to .500 since their season-starting losing streak, maybe a bit below, but still not so bad since December. So take that away and they'd be just an average team, not really a bad one.

The impression in Toronto is worse, however, because their home record is really no better than their away record, and considering how road trips are usually losing endeavours in the NBA, that is quite damning.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Seems to me that Toronto is close to .500 since their season-starting losing streak, maybe a bit below, but still not so bad since December. So take that away and they'd be just an average team, not really a bad one.

The impression in Toronto is worse, however, because their home record is really no better than their away record, and considering how road trips are usually losing endeavours in the NBA, that is quite damning.

Yes. Since from their horrendous 1-15 start, the Raptors are a .500 team who lose most games by 3 or 4 points. I attribute the horrible start to the feeling out process of the rookies (Villanueva, Graham and Calderon were all relied upon heavily in the start) and the team finding some sort of system under Sam Mitchell (who seems to be one of the tougher guys to get used to in the league).

The core of young players that they have is as promising as any team right now, and of course the new leadership from a proven basketball man like Colangelo has me giving them a free pass for this season and next. We'll see how the next 2-3 years pan out.

I just hope for Canadian soccer's sake that MLSE produces better results on the pitch than they are currently delivering on ice and court. Granted, they are great at making money, weather it comes from the Canadian taxpayers or the Torontonian sports fans who'll pay way too much to watch crap that is not even a play-off calibre product.

calgary boomer, you stole my thunder. i had in mind, what if they call themselves the 'Jersey Cosmos' or just'Cosmos' for spite. there has been a strong push for phily to grab a franchise, as well. so possibly, four teams in the radius.

According to MapQuest, it's 25 miles between Phily and this new South Jersey stadium. But somebody at BigSoccer posted it's only 15 miles (obviously it depends on where exactly the stadium is). So in reality, this is a Phily team.

And from what I understand, most people in South Jersey support Phily sports teams (Eagles, Flyers, 76ers, etc.) as opposed to teams calling themseleves New Jersey (Devils, Nets) which are basically just outside of Manhattan. Just like the new Red Bull stadium in Harrison is only about 10-15 miles from downtown Manhattan.

As for Cosmos, they can't take that from New York. They need to look at building a stadium on the east side like Brooklyn or Queens.

Just for reference (and cause somebody is bored):

Chicago Fire stadium in Bridgeview is 14 miles from Chicago.

FC Dallas stadium in Frisco is 27 miles from Dallas.

Mississauga is 14 miles from Toronto.

Vaughan is 18 miles from Toronto.

These are according to MapQuest so it depends on where exactly the stadiums are and what they measure, but it's funny that whole debate on if York U. and Vaughan were too far.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

This Voyageur board is pretty quiet now that the Toronto Ultras have decamped for new cyber-pastures....

We have no immediately upcoming national team games. Many of our Scandinavians are in the pre-season, just getting set to go. MLS is in pre-season and Division One is just starting this week (at least the Caps are). There is just so much we can get out of the results at Bochum, Most, Leicester and Bruges.

Was it really edifying to fill pages and pages of threads about a hole in downtown Toronto for a nameless team?

Will say, though, that I had 6 clients from Toronto this weekend and they knew the stadium was being built. They asked why we needed another one in Canada. And I told them, we needed something specific for soccer as Canada was lacking in such facilities, and that the World Youth Cup was coming, MLS. Getting an answer was enough for them, and instead of being skeptics at least they shifted to a more neutral mode.

Second, interesting that MLSE attributes early interest NOT to the CSA but to the Ontario assocciation getting involved and warming interest. Maybe they just spoke to them first, maybe the CSA was not on board from the start, or maybe it is a gesture to a friend, I don't know. But since the CSA has gotten almost all the credit and the OSA none in the creation of this franchise, perhaps things should be balanced out a bit.

I wasn't privy to the conversation that became the article, but from where I sit MLSE's relationship with the CSA and OSA is balanced. Perhaps it just didn't come through in the article.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by mlsintoronto

I wasn't privy to the conversation that became the article, but from where I sit MLSE's relationship with the CSA and OSA is balanced. Perhaps it just didn't come through in the article.
I mention this because the CSA has received almost all the credit amongst soccer federations and associations, and the OSA has received absolutely none. If you look through dozens of threads and pages here discussing the issue, the OSA is not mentioned (I won't say ever, but I sure cannot recall any mention of them). That would seem a quite unfair if indeed some of MLSE's early conversations went through them and they had a positive influence on the final results.

It could be that the OSA did not market their role properly, or wanted to keep a low profile, I don't know. But it could also be that the CSA was glad to have a PR coup and let all the credit come their way. Just odd that MLSE has made no effort beyond these revealing comments to give credit where it is due in more official fashion.

Just odd that MLSE has made no effort beyond these revealing comments to give credit where it is due in more official fashion.

MLSE hasn't even 'officially' acknowledged the stadium yet, even though it is already under construction.

I think all will be revealed when they decide to hold the official press conference for the stadium and MLS team.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

MLSE hasn't even 'officially' acknowledged the stadium yet, even though it is already under construction.

I think all will be revealed when they decide to hold the official press conference for the stadium and MLS team.

What's more stunning is the fact that Suputo has gone very very stealth since the CSA pronounced Toronto as the centre of the Canadian Soccer universe.

Just where will the WYC games be played in Montreal? Now that the CSA has shafted Quubec and the Impact?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

What's more stunning is the fact that Suputo has gone very very stealth since the CSA pronounced Toronto as the centre of the Canadian Soccer universe.

If this is true, Saputo must be the dumbest man in the country since the CSA made no secret of its desire to get a government-funded stadium built in Toronto well before the U-20 WC was even awarded to Canada.

As for where the games will be played, that's being discussed elsewhere.

Just came across this story in a Media release that goes to ad agancies.

Toronto gets a soccer team and stadium; searches for sponsors

by Pia Musngi

A new team is coming to town and along with it, a new stadium to be built on Toronto's Exhibition grounds slated for spring 2007. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) is bringing soccer to Toronto via a yet-to-be-named team under the New York-based Major League Soccer (MLS) umbrella. The Toronto team's new home, a 20,000-seat stadium, is searching for naming rights by way of sponsorship now.

"The new team will play in the MLS league," explains VP, corporate sales and service Dave Hopkinson. "[The league] has just finished its tenth year and is growing in the U.S. with 12 teams in the league. Toronto is the thirteenth team and the first international franchise. There are 16 home matches planned in 2007 and the new stadium will open by hosting one of the biggest soccer events in the world - the FIFA World Under 20 event. This is third biggest [mass audience sport event], behind the World Cup and the Olympics, with a global TV audience in the 500-million range."

Hopkinson says MLSE is currently at the initial round of conversations with interested parties. As part of the sponsorship package, the stadium's corporate sponsor will have prime real estate via a large sign visible from the Gardiner Expressway, much like the Rogers Centre and the Air Canada Centre.

Hopkinson says a soccer team in Toronto makes sense as it takes advantage of the April to October season, stoking sports-hungry fans orphaned by the hockey season. "Plus, it's an affordable sports event geared toward families and the ethnic market, with the average ticket price in the $20-30 range."

Increasing their cachet, the new Toronto soccer boys will also be playing against English Premiere League teams such as Manchester United in exhibition games, or "friendlies" in soccer parlance.

According to numbers from the Canadian Soccer Association (a partner with MLSE), there are more than 825,000 Canucks who play the sport; 700,000 of which are kids.

by Pia Musngi

A new team is coming to town and along with it, a new stadium to be built on Toronto's Exhibition grounds slated for spring 2007. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) is bringing soccer to Toronto via a yet-to-be-named team under the New York-based Major League Soccer (MLS) umbrella. The Toronto team's new home, a 20,000-seat stadium, is searching for naming rights by way of sponsorship now.

"The new team will play in the MLS league," explains VP, corporate sales and service Dave Hopkinson. "[The league] has just finished its tenth year and is growing in the U.S. with 12 teams in the league. Toronto is the thirteenth team and the first international franchise. There are 16 home matches planned in 2007 and the new stadium will open by hosting one of the biggest soccer events in the world - the FIFA World Under 20 event. This is third biggest [mass audience sport event], behind the World Cup and the Olympics, with a global TV audience in the 500-million range."

Hopkinson says MLSE is currently at the initial round of conversations with interested parties. As part of the sponsorship package, the stadium's corporate sponsor will have prime real estate via a large sign visible from the Gardiner Expressway, much like the Rogers Centre and the Air Canada Centre.

Hopkinson says a soccer team in Toronto makes sense as it takes advantage of the April to October season, stoking sports-hungry fans orphaned by the hockey season. "Plus, it's an affordable sports event geared toward families and the ethnic market, with the average ticket price in the $20-30 range."

Increasing their cachet, the new Toronto soccer boys will also be playing against English Premiere League teams such as Manchester United in exhibition games, or "friendlies" in soccer parlance.

According to numbers from the Canadian Soccer Association (a partner with MLSE), there are more than 825,000 Canucks who play the sport; 700,000 of which are kids.

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

by Pia Musngi

I like the racist line "toward families and the ethnic market, with the average ticket price in the $20-30 range".

so let's see they are hoping that ethnics go to games, so they better have lower ticket prices cause ethnics are either poor or cheap.

And they'll name the team some lame ass euro sounding name to pander to the ethnics.

man, the Toronto Metro Crotians were 30 year ahead of their time.

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

by Pia Musngi

I like the racist line "toward families and the ethnic market, with the average ticket price in the $20-30 range".

so let's see they are hoping that ethnics go to games, so they better have lower ticket prices cause ethnics are either poor or cheap.

And they'll name the team some lame ass euro sounding name to pander to the ethnics.

man, the Toronto Metro Crotians were 30 year ahead of their time.

Archived