Toronto Stadium News

Jarrek

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

"Was"?

"As the eye is a tool which allows humankind to form the world in his or her own image, the sun represents a universal eye in the sense that it centers our world and illuminates or brings forth what we see. The stream of sunlight appropriates what it illumines, such that she who sees by it is bound by its light. In the "The Solar Anus" Bataille turns empirical knowledge upside down and subverts the taboo against the sight of the anal cavity and in uncovering it locates there the urge towards "the Absolute Spirit." The defecating action of the anus becomes an urge of the sacred within the self--that which recognizes the beyond which exceeds the human limit. Excretion of non-meaning in the shaping of the world of knowledge becomes the stream of sunlight which emits from the eye of the anus."

Elizabeth Mosimann

The Sovereign Value of Transgression: A Reading of George Bataille's "The Story of the Eye"

P.S. Thanks for the compliments G-L, keep them coming.

if Goof-Man, wants to play devil's advocate, thats fine.

However, when posts become similar and repeated over and over again, with INTENTIONAL distortion, one cannot believe the attention that is garnered by these obtuse postings.

They are either PURPOSELY misinformed (if you catch my drift) or you are trying to gather inconsistencies that are usually weak and are not supprted in any way.

Personally, i do not understand why certain people respond to those particular posts. i choose to refrain until he sets himself wide open for a target.

don't forget, his stance goes beyond looking for potential pitfalls, but only to create and fuel animosity. T.O. got a stadia as a gift from Santa (Feds, Prov., City, CSA, MLSE) and we gladly accept, whole heartedly.

Once Varsity fell (no matter how decrepit it was) soccer action esp. int'l was wiped out, entirely.

so, as they say, if you don't like it, tough[}:)]. i will enjoy every possible moment that this stadia has to offer, now and the future.

btw, anyone else care for matching scarves, they are good for hangin[xx(] around. [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Why can't he be? The City puts in $9 million and gets a $62 million facility. Its obviously a good deal for the CSA who get a stadium, tournament, MLS team and a sports empire involved in soccer. And its a good deal for soccer fans in the city. That's three groups outside of MLSE, and its MLSE that are facing the highest risk as has been pointed out.

I guess, again, I should have been clearer. By "this deal" I was referring to the sponsorship rights deal not the total stadium package.

The stadium is a done deal and under construction....now MLSE just gets to recoup all (and then some) of their investment in, both, the stadium and the team by the taxpayers' reps selling them something at way below what appears to be market value.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Franky

if Goof-Man, wants to play devil's advocate, thats fine.

However, when posts become similar and repeated over and over again, with INTENTIONAL distortion, one cannot believe the attention that is garnered by these obtuse postings.

They are either PURPOSELY misinformed (if you catch my drift) or you are trying to gather inconsistencies that are usually weak and are not supprted in any way.

Personally, i do not understand why certain people respond to those particular posts. i choose to refrain until he sets himself wide open for a target.

don't forget, his stance goes beyond looking for potential pitfalls, but only to create and fuel animosity. T.O. got a stadia as a gift from Santa (Feds, Prov., City, CSA, MLSE) and we gladly accept, whole heartedly.

Once Varsity fell (no matter how decrepit it was) soccer action esp. int'l was wiped out, entirely.

so, as they say, if you don't like it, tough[}:)]. i will enjoy every possible moment that this stadia has to offer, now and the future.

btw, anyone else care for matching scarves, they are good for hangin[xx(] around. [:P]

Franky, you are suffering from a serious delirium tremens. This is a Toronto stadium thread, a thread about a building, and a building that does not exist. How can you suggest that the argument should be advanced or made more complex, or added to, when speaking about a reality that is NOT in any sort of significant movement at all?

Have you ever thought that maybe your comment about repeating ideas and posts could just as well apply to your embarrassing obsession for this mirage that may, someday, appear in some solid form on the Toronto horizon?

Really, I can't get over how silly and childish you bunch are.

is that you best you can offer to this discussion Jeffrey??? TYPICAL Jeffrey style, oh well.

i guess those machines at the CNE is just a figment of all our imagination. however, you are in Barcelona and we are here, enough said.

if you cannot see past our delirium, then, tough. we've always understood your position and that is anything opposing this T.O. project. thats your HABITUAL problem, not ours.

We are getting a stadia for free (on everyone's tax dollar, thank you all canadian taxpaying citizens) ;) and an MLS team to boot (thank you MLSE) [8D] hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![}:)]

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

I guess, again, I should have been clearer. By "this deal" I was referring to the sponsorship rights deal not the total stadium package.

The stadium is a done deal and under construction....now MLSE just gets to recoup all (and then some) of their investment in, both, the stadium and the team by the taxpayers' reps selling them something at way below what appears to be market value.

It's a matter of balance. If, by actually making some money on the stadium itself, funds can be used to offset potential losses by the club itself, then we have an equitable situation that at minimum can be considered healthy and fair.

is that you best you can offer to this discussion Jeffrey??? TYPICAL Jeffrey style, oh well.

i guess those machines at the CNE is just a figment of all our imagination. however, you are in Barcelona and we are here, enough said.

if you cannot see past our delirium, then, tough. we've always understood your position and that is anything opposing this T.O. project. thats your HABITUAL problem, not ours.

We are getting a stadia for free (on everyone's tax dollar, thank you all canadian taxpaying citizens) ;) and an MLS team to boot (thank you MLSE) [8D] hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![}:)]

Typical TO post. When the CSA/MLS/MLSE mafia scims off their slices of Canada's donation all you'll be left with is a bush-league stadium and a team that will last five years at most. Ha F_ucking Ha! $60M minus what your mafia takes doesn't build much soccer stadium in today's world, and that's exactly what you pricks deserve. I wonder how long it will take before you get your next federal handout.[}:)];)[8D]

Guest Jeffery S.

You have been off this site for a long while Franky and don't read posts. I have always supported MLS in Canada, never opposed it anywhere in any city, never thought a Canadian league could work, agreed with the TO stadium as necessary for our de facto capital, defended the financial outlay and even think more should be spent to improve design and image values for marketing purposes, am convinced that having an MLS team will be good for improving the level of our player pool in North America (as would having two or three teams even more), and think that MLSE is going out on a limb a bit, without maybe realizing what they have gotten into, since I doubt they'll make too much money. I also support having the final or key games of the WYC 2007 at the stadium if finished, so as to help justify the expense, and agree that TO is a better headquarters for the tournament for press and foreign contingents than is Edmonton.

What I don't agree with is the attitude of some TO and environs posters on this board who are behaving intolerantly, immaturely and excessively defensively when up against arguments against everything I too defend. I think the whole TO stadium/MLS/World Youth Cup nexus is perfectly justifiable, but not in the way some are justifying it, that is all.

I also think that of all the factors to be considered in getting that triumvirate in place, Toronto fans would not even figure on the list, as TO fans have been notoriously atrocious in defending the game in the city, and if anything the biggest risk for the MLS team and its future viability is the small town clique mentality of those who claim here to be most ardently defending it.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Typical TO post. When the CSA/MLS/MLSE mafia scims off their slices of Canada's donation all you'll be left with is a bush-league stadium and a team that will last five years at most. Ha F_ucking Ha! $60M minus what your mafia takes doesn't build much soccer stadium in today's world, and that's exactly what you pricks deserve. I wonder how long it will take before you get your next federal handout.[}:)];)[8D]

Typical Robert post.

Have you ever heard of sarcasm, Robert?

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

It's a matter of balance. If, by actually making some money on the stadium itself, funds can be used to offset potential losses by the club itself, then we have an equitable situation that at minimum can be considered healthy and fair.

Healthy and fair? I think not. MLSE puts in $18 million to a stadium and, in return, gets the sponsorship rights that some people think could be worth $100 million. Even when you add in the cost of the MLS franchise (which I did not think the government were subsidizing) their total outly is around $30 million. So, without a ball getting kicked, even if those predictions of $100 million prove to be off the mark by a factor of 2....MLSE makes a 66% profit.

All this without the advertising rights even being put out to tender so that others who might have been capable of reselling these rights (essentially what MLSE is doing) might have been willing to pay more. Who knows? Just like the stadium deal in the first place, government (ie. taxpayer money) has been committed to this without a full and transparent exploration of all of the options.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Healthy and fair? I think not. MLSE puts in $18 million to a stadium and, in return, gets the sponsorship rights that some people think could be worth $100 million. Even when you add in the cost of the MLS franchise (which I did not think the government were subsidizing) their total outly is around $30 million. So, without a ball getting kicked, even if those predictions of $100 million prove to be off the mark by a factor of 2....MLSE makes a 66% profit.

All this without the advertising rights even being put out to tender so that others who might have been capable of reselling these rights (essentially what MLSE is doing) might have been willing to pay more. Who knows? Just like the stadium deal in the first place, government (ie. taxpayer money) has been committed to this without a full and transparent exploration of all of the options.

Unfortunately there is no time for more 'exploration'. The way I see it, Toronto is lucky to have MLSE (or any other private business) involved that is willing to push ahead without waiting for all the gov't red tape to clear.

As for MLSE's contribution of $18 million, remember that that number is the minimum that MLSE is on the hook for. They are responsible for construction overruns (which there will undoubtedly be due to the time constraints) as well as any added amenities that they decide to tack on (which I have a feeling will happen, as they don't want to put out a second-rate facility).

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

if anything the biggest risk for the MLS team and its future viability is the small town clique mentality of those who claim here to be most ardently defending it.

Nonsense. There is no "clique" mentality amongst the Toronto MLS fans, "small town" or otherwise. Cliques are exclusive by nature, and we have been anything but exclusive, despite whatever skewed perception (apparently gained solely through reading select posts on the internet) you might have. We want both the supporters group and the supporters section (two different things) to be as large as possible, and we aren't aiming to do that by restricting ourselves to being a select few.

On this board & others we have repeatedly opened our arms to and welcomed everyone and anyone that is interested in supporting the MLS team, and we will be continuing to do so. And that includes people on this board who are in the area who have specifically been invited in spite of any debates that have occurred here. If you think that the guys in the group are planning to shunt away new people from the section who happen to come over on game day, or plan to cap "membership" in the group at 25 people or something, you are sadly mistaken.

Add "wilfully mistaken' to that G-L, as this has been pointed out many times to Jeffrey. Despite this he clings to the idea that we want an exclusive group, exclusive use of the supporter section etc. Not surprising as he has little else to attack us with, as he has just told Franky that he is pro-MLS Toronto/Stadium/ WYC.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Add "wilfully mistaken' to that G-L, as this has been pointed out many times to Jeffrey. Despite this he clings to the idea that we want an exclusive group, exclusive use of the supporter section etc. Not surprising as he has little else to attack us with, as he has just told Franky that he is pro-MLS Toronto/Stadium/ WYC.

I have always been pro-MLS Toronto/Stadium/WYC, but maybe you have not paid attention. This goes way back, and I am talking about years. Some of you with "memories", as I have heard them called, will recognize this. And I had never gotten into my current irritation mode with the TO clique before some of you guys started attacking other posters, insulting them, harassing them, and doing it in a school-boy pack, just because they did not agree with you or expressed their disagreement with scorn, cynicism, heckling and irony, however beneath your literary standards.

What I do not get is how noone on this board from TO was even able to get us the remotest bit of early inside information on the question, noone seemed at all clued in, noone lobbied actively for either MLS or Stadium or WYC final with any degree of scoop instinct, but there is much jumping on the bandwagon later and acting as if you'd been there all along. Which is fine, but at least admit you were clueless, are clueless now, and most likely will be deliberately kept in the dark for a good long while. You are not really there guys, on a board that prides itself on its early warning system, you were the last to figure out what was going on, after the CSA, after MLSE, after City Hall, probably after a few of the players from past attempts to get pro soccer going in TO.

So I don't get you being so damn ardent about it all and so impatient with those who are not.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Robert you like some other posters seem to want to post to get their negative kicks.It is amazing that being soccer fans the animosity is way out of control and certainly on this board,it's scary..It darn sometimes borders as being hatred.We are getting a stadium we have some people who want to invest and are probably the most experienced and with the most cloud and profile. We met one of them and he seemed very much interested in the future of soccer and answered all our questions.I really don't know what else we can hope for.I suppose the next one will be Vancouver and I can't wait to carve thes eguys a new a..h just kidding.In fact I would just demand a team in the west and preferably Vancouver.

Archived