Toronto Stadium News

Jarrek

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Did you hear that MLSE had to cancel it's production of Riverdance at Harbour Front? They were worried that if various levels of government didn't purchase life jackets for the dancers they'd drown.

You have been sadly mis-informed. They were never going to do Riverdance, they are planning to do a live musical presentation of "Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day" by Jethro Tull, complete with a 45 minute Thick as a Brick interlude, but they've had to cancel it because the lake won't freeze due to the great weather we are having here in Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

You have been sadly mis-informed. They were never going to do Riverdance, they are planning to do a live musical presentation of "Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day" by Jethro Tull, complete with a 45 minute Thick as a Brick interlude, but they've had to cancel it because the lake won't freeze due to the great weather we are having here in Toronto.

It'll freeze over when MLS Toronto sells 3000 season ticket packages. Hopefully Ian Anderson isn't holding his skin flute waiting a call.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

It'll freeze over when MLS Toronto sells 3000 season ticket packages. Hopefully Ian Anderson isn't holding his skin flute waiting a call.

Evidently not, Ian Anderson has already bought 4000 season tickets by himself and yet the water isn't frozen. And Ian can easily afford to do it to, those Salmon Fish Farms he operates have been pretty lucrative.

quote:Originally posted by isa

talked to someone at mlse yesterday and they are still not saying anything about an official start to the stadium.

well lets just hope its done on time.

Of note, today, PCL constrution signage (directing the trucks where to go, etc.) appeared on the southern gates of the EX grounds this morning.

Stuff must be (or about to be) happening.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

Us hooligans goo around causing mischeif during the dark hours. Joke aside I doubt anyone would go take pictures of some "bob cats" and cement @ night. Once construction picks up and the thing actually starts taking shape I'm sure people will be dropping by and posting updates more often.

I think night shots would expand the fetish aspect of this thread.

Guest Jeffery S.

I too would like a 24 hour web cam on this construction site. I think it would definitely enhance our expectation levels.

It would definitely help to see an official building plan or maquette somewhere, or was that one published a few months ago the definitive one? Not very inspiring. Our friend from MLSE told me that they too were disappointed at not being able to produce a more attractive stadium, recognizing the symbolic value that would bring to TO, but said that the question was money.

I think it is more a question of whether the architects are merely acceptable or are really good, and it seems to be the former in this case, as design values do not necessarily have to cost more.

quote:Originally posted by isa

hey guys .

so just a deeper hole thats it? well almost 2 months gone since this thing was suposed to start.well in 13 months the 2007 mls season starts

and well our team is supposed to have a new home????????.

As Massive Attack said, in February you can only do limited things in relation to construction work.

I don't think MLSE planned on having the stadium done by April 2007 (the start of the MLS season) anyways. There are precendents where teams with a stadium under construction start the season on an extended road trip. FC Dallas did it last year and Chicago Fire are doing it this year (their stadium will host its first game June 11).

While this may not be preferable for the team (and extended road trip is a tough mental obstacle to overcome), it's what's necessary.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I too would like a 24 hour web cam on this construction site. I think it would definitely enhance our expectation levels.

It would definitely help to see an official building plan or maquette somewhere, or was that one published a few months ago the definitive one? Not very inspiring. Our friend from MLSE told me that they too were disappointed at not being able to produce a more attractive stadium, recognizing the symbolic value that would bring to TO, but said that the question was money.

I think it is more a question of whether the architects are merely acceptable or are really good, and it seems to be the former in this case, as design values do not necessarily have to cost more.

I can assure you that the architects involved here are more than "merely acceptable". They are internationally renowned architects with a specialized group in stadiums.

A while back I was involved with this firm on some projects we were considering and they are top notch and very capable of desiging exceptional buildings. There is, however, only so much you can do within a budget. The amount being spent on this stadium is not likely (regardless of who the architect is) of being much more than a series of interconnected grandstands with little flair.

hey guys.

one more thing to remember we know what it can be like in april we can still get lots of snow. so does this mean every year they will not play a home game until may????.

i got an idea how about they heat the turf like they do in most stadiums in the u.k. at least they wont have to start the season on the road every year.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

I can assure you that the architects involved here are more than "merely acceptable". They are internationally renowned architects with a specialized group in stadiums.

A while back I was involved with this firm on some projects we were considering and they are top notch and very capable of desiging exceptional buildings. There is, however, only so much you can do within a budget. The amount being spent on this stadium is not likely (regardless of who the architect is) of being much more than a series of interconnected grandstands with little flair.

Sorry, don't buy that. That is the MLSE excuse as well. Another day we'll get into architecture in Canada, which is damn mediocre at its best (though a very good friend who just did a show on contemporary CDN architecture at the UBC gallery, Andrew Gruft, feels I am too hard on what it happening.)

Still, quality design can be helped by money, but without huge sums you can design with quality. This usually does NOT happen in Canada, and that is sadly systematic. The only place we see quality with modest budgets is with a few private single family dwellings, and the odd school or firehouse.

I have to admit, I kinda agree with Jeffrey. Travelling around Europe for business/pleasure in the last 10 years, you see quite a bit of very interesting modern architecture. In NA, it just doensn't exist on the same scale. The mentality in NA is different and the builders/governments are more based on the bottom line.

That being said, the Europeans may build impressive looking buildings (whether old or new) with grand public spaces but if you have ever spent any time in the private offices/spaces of those buildings, they are usually extremely depressing. Poor light, cramp confines, bad furniture....this is especially true of the government buildings and especially in southern euro countries (including France). Its a bit style over substance. If NA workers had to put up with those conditions they would revolt...of course, the Euros have a job for life and 6 weeks holidays so perhaps thats why they put up with it.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I have to admit, I kinda agree with Jeffrey. Travelling around Europe for business/pleasure in the last 10 years, you see quite a bit of very interesting modern architecture. In NA, it just doensn't exist on the same scale. The mentality in NA is different and the builders/governments are more based on the bottom line.

That being said, the Europeans may build impressive looking buildings (whether old or new) with grand public spaces but if you have ever spent any time in the private offices/spaces of those buildings, they are usually extremely depressing. Poor light, cramp confines, bad furniture....this is especially true of the government buildings and especially in southern euro countries (including France). Its a bit style over substance. If NA workers had to put up with those conditions they would revolt...of course, the Euros have a job for life and 6 weeks holidays so perhaps thats why they put up with it.

Well you are correct. In North America, buildings (including, and perhaps especially, stadiums are built with the assumption of a very short economic life so the costs associated with the construction are fed into economic models that, typically, don't stretch much more than 25 years and sometimes shorter.

One need only look down the road from here to Detroit. It is not that long ago (certainly within my adult life) that the SilverDome was being hailed as the most advanced and stunning stadium on the continent. Now it has been replaced and mocked by Ford Field. The Joe Loius Arena was the arena that kicked off the waive of new arenas in the NHL and now there is talk of replacing the Joe.

Compare that to Europe where stadia (and buildings in general) are built on a more "permanent" basis.

In commercial real estate a 10 year lease is viewed, here, as a long term lease. In Europe people would question your commitment to the location if that was the longest lease you would sign.

That being said, labour and materials have a cost and no amount of creative design will reduce that. We live in a world where a typical Canadian Tire store (say 100,000 s.f.) costs around $10 million to build and all that design entails (no disrespect to the architects they hire) is some steel and tilt-up pre-fab concrete panels!

Archived