Toronto Stadium News

Jarrek

Just a small update:

1) The initial rendering of the stadium is outdated, the new design will look "different" from the draft

2) The stadium will be designed by Brisbin Brook Beynon (http://www.bbb.ca/) - They designed the ACC ...

3) The Sports Hall of Fame will be demolished, and some elements of it will be incorporated into the new stadium design

4) MLSE hopes to finish the facility in 18 months.

5) An announcement will be made in a week or so.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DJT

Hmm? 18 months from now is in the middle of both the WYC and the MLS season in which they are supposed to be playing.

Worse, could be 18 months from the start of construction. Think that is the more likely.

Of course finished, and functioning are two different matters. Guess it depends on what part of the design isn't finished and what is.

From the current Globe and Mail:

--------------------------------------

Construction to start without Ottawa funds

By PETER MALLETT

Thursday, January 12, 2006 Posted at 4:23 AM EST

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Construction of a $62-million soccer stadium will start next week without final approval of federal funds.

Officials at Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment have confirmed that crews will begin work on the 20,000-seat stadium in the northwest corner of Exhibition Place as early as Monday.

MLSE executive vice-president Bob Hunter said in an interview that construction will be pushed forward even though $27-million of funding has not been given final approval by the federal government.

"We are somewhat at risk right now because we are proceeding without final approval -- we believe in this project so much," Hunter said. "The contract has been awarded to build the stadium, there is a design team on site and they will start excavation next week."

Conservative finance critic Monte Solberg told The Globe and Mail's Ottawa bureau yesterday that if his party forms the next government, it will honour all federal infrastructure program commitments, which would include the Toronto stadium.

Hunter said he could not disclose details of the building contracts or architectural firm involved until an official ribbon-cutting ceremony planned after the federal election.

The stadium is scheduled to play host to the 2007 world youth soccer championship and also be the home of a Major League Soccer expansion franchise owned by MLSE and set to begin play in 2007.

MLSE will oversee the project and has agreed to underwrite any losses in construction as part of a deal struck in December with the Canadian Soccer Association and three levels of government.

The City of Toronto will provide $10-million worth of property at Exhibition Place along with $9.5-million in funding, while the Ontario government will give $8-million.

The rest of the needed funds is expected to be covered by selling the stadium's naming rights.

Yesterday, construction plans received another twist when it was learned that part of the old Hockey and Sports Hall of Fame building -- specifically its canopy and famous sports mural -- will be incorporated into the stadium.

While the Hockey Hall of Fame moved to its downtown location in 1993, the Sports Hall of Fame is closed and is looking for a new location.

Hunter stressed the importance of getting shovels in the ground soon so that the stadium can be ready for the Major League Soccer season, which will likely begin in April of 2007, and for the under-20 tournament, which will kick off in late June or early July of 2007.

"We are months behind where we would like to be, but are confident that we can make it," Hunter said. He cautioned that the MLS expansion franchise might have to play many of its first games on the road or some of its home games at the nearby Rogers Centre if the stadium is completed on time.

-----------------------------------

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I actually posted the news about the incorporation of the old sports building in another thread last week (rather than the "yesterday" suggested by the article), but yes, the news that construction will start next week is splenderrific!

Socamonarch posted the following on BigSoccer. Its a Jan 3 letter from MLSE addressing the Sports hall of fame building, and confirming that the horrid "heavy leaden piece of concrete" rendering is not the final design.

quote:As for the design of the facility, we appreciate you concern that the facility not be a "heavy, leaden piece of concrete". Our architects, Brisbin Brook Beynon of Toronto, are well known sports facility designers. You can rest assured that they will do the utmost, given the modest construction budget that we have, to ensure that our design exceeds everyone's expectations through the use of brick facades and mature landscaping. In fact, the photo that you enclosed is now significantly outdated and new, updated drawings have already addressed some of these issues.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d78/Archivistower/Letter2.jpg

I know that BBA designed the Air Canada Centre, but a soccer stadium is a different kettle of fish. I hope they take a good look at some of the really smart small stadiums in Europe before they build this one.

I don't fully support the building of the stadium but it will be built and I strongly believe that it should be a thing of beauty to properly represent this country. I think that it should resemble the Kingston Communications Stadium home to Hull City AFC. It is a good size park and looks very nice.

Check it out: http://stadionwelt.de/stadionwelt_stadien/index.php?template=stadionlisten&stadion=Kingston%20Communications%20Stadium&foto_ordner=England/kingston_communications_stadium&id=1072

http://www.kcstadium.co.uk/

What football park would you want T.O.'s park to resemble? I would like to start a poll on my page with the best suggestions so please don't be shy!

MLS season yes, but just before the WYC should start.
18 months from today is July 12 and 18 months from the expected start of construction is July 16. The tournament is July 1-22. It's going to be awfully close.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Of course finished, and functioning are two different matters. Guess it depends on what part of the design isn't finished and what is.

Right, I thought about that. Since this is supposed to be some sort of focal point of the tournament "to show the world", I'd hope that at least all public areas and anything that affects comfort and safety are finished.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

18 months from today is July 12 and 18 months from the expected start of construction is July 16. The tournament is July 1-22. It's going to be awfully close.

Well if we're going to get that precise, if you look at the letter I posted the link to which Jarrek got his info from, its dated January 3rd, and the MLSE representative responding to the fan that wrote to him said "in the next 18 months" - I think he was just speaking generally, and note that this was not an official MLSE press release to the public or anything.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Socamonarch posted the following on BigSoccer. Its a Jan 3 letter from MLSE addressing the Sports hall of fame building, and confirming that the horrid "heavy leaden piece of concrete" rendering is not the final design.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d78/Archivistower/Letter2.jpg

I know that BBA designed the Air Canada Centre, but a soccer stadium is a different kettle of fish. I hope they take a good look at some of the really smart small stadiums in Europe before they build this one.

In a past life I worked with a company that was in the business of building sports arenas. We spent a fair bit of time in Europe with one of the principals of BBA and I can assure you he/they have looked at many stadiums over there.

As an example, he and where part of a group that got a very intensive tour of PSV's stadium shortly after it was redone in the mid/late 90's. He really is quite brilliant and if any person/firm is capable of exceeding expectations/limitations imposed by budgets, I would bet on him/them.

quote:Originally posted by 403 Addick

I don't fully support the building of the stadium but it will be built and I strongly believe that it should be a thing of beauty to properly represent this country. I think that it should resemble the Kingston Communications Stadium home to Hull City AFC. It is a good size park and looks very nice.

Check it out: http://stadionwelt.de/stadionwelt_stadien/index.php?template=stadionlisten&stadion=Kingston%20Communications%20Stadium&foto_ordner=England/kingston_communications_stadium&id=1072

http://www.kcstadium.co.uk/

What football park would you want T.O.'s park to resemble? I would like to start a poll on my page with the best suggestions so please don't be shy!

Woah! That Hull stadium is pretty sweet for a lower division side. BUT (from the beggars AND choosers file) don't you sometimes think today's stadiums are just a little TOO perfect? One of the things I love about older parks is that they aren't symetrical and each "stand" has a personality of its own.

So, I would like to see a more retro style stadium that looks like its been there for 100 years, but with all the modern ammenities inside.

True. But now that I think about it, the timelines are beginning to baffle me a little. Just the other day, while on the CSA website, I saw ( while reading a recent write up on the U20 side) some reference to the fact that the U20 was scheduled to run from July 1-28. Or something like that. I am certain about the Jul 1, 2007 bit. So that would be cutting it extremely close.

Perhaps what the MLSE rep was referring to was the fact the first event will be the U20 which would be in 18 months. Rather than " the last coat of paint is expected to be completed in 18 months".

On Soccercentral today, Gary confirmed the recent news we've learned by stating that Peddie told Sportsnet that MLSE will indeed go ahead with construction of the stadium prior to receivng all the funds and that the buiders have stated that construction may begin as early as Monday.

Archived