Toronto-area Voyageurs Get-Together

Gian-Luca

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yeah another good point. Though while its not official, it does seem like a done deal. The Toronto Star is even reporting today that the MLS 2008 All-star game is scheduled for Toronto.

In 1981 as part of the 100th year celebrations of Soccer in Toronto the soccer bowl was awarded to Toronto.ABC was the broadcasting media and we had a media conference at the John Molson room.Not one of the Toronto major media was there.Jim McKay from ABC was there and quite a few well known US writers.We could not get any interest in our media.At the last moment we were forced to buy a full page in the Toronto Star !

Even the PR department of Shoppers Drug Mart a major sponsor could not make any headway.They were totally disgusted and made it very clear that they thought there was something fishy here.

So gentlemen let us hope that it will be different this time and let us see to it that it will be different.By the way the CNE was close to a sell out and we organized the friendship tournament bringing in US teams which we matched up against Canadian teams and of course the Shoppers Drug Mart trophy at stake. At half time the winners were announced and the Canadians won. I forgot the score but some 12000 players were involved.We had teams from all over the states and even the old timers from around Toronto played and yes I played as well against a team from Rochester.

Shoppers Drug Mart sponsored all the American teams and all players got into the game for free and even got a shirt as did the Canadian teams involved. A great promotion.

The trophy is still around.Still not a word about it in the media at that time.

That soccer bowl included a Duth player Dick Advocaat.

It's been ages since I posted..and I probably will never post again about Canadian Soccer..but this thread has got me curious and happy as the Ultras are getting a get together..hope Mirza is still around to lead the chants to an MLS...I heard he has gone AWOL and disappeared completely from the Ultras scene..it's too bad as I think the he symbolized the "Ultras" in spirit, force, etc..and Franky, Sea, Modster, and others with there loud voices gave the name "TO Ultras" a meaning :)...here's to you guys and hope you guys have fun.

Hey,

I'm new on these boards and have been to a few Lynx games before.

I'd love to start getting involved in a supporters club for our new franchise and maybe this outing would be a good start.

I've turned 19, so all of this has been in perfect timing.

Tell me what you think, is this more of a personal get together or what? I'd like to scope out the scene and gradually get involved.

Club and national level.

Thanks,

Hey, morrison....

Anyone is allowed to come, I'm one of the "leaders" and self proclaimed Tifo King of the U-sector/Toronto Ultras/The Cuecumber Krew. Basically if u got a heart and a loud mouth you are allowed to come, and if u have boobs.. thats an added bonus.

Anyways, on a more serious note... id like to say a few words

Catfish, Triangle, Walkie Talkie, Tinkerbell.. wait no take that one back...ill save that one for later (and yes i did steal that)

And i swear were not all wierd, just me and maybe mike.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Hey, morrison....

Anyone is allowed to come, I'm one of the "leaders" and self proclaimed Tifo King of the U-sector/Toronto Ultras/The Cuecumber Krew. Basically if u got a heart and a loud mouth you are allowed to come, and if u have boobs.. thats an added bonus.

Anyways, on a more serious note... id like to say a few words

Catfish, Triangle, Walkie Talkie, Tinkerbell.. wait no take that one back...ill save that one for later (and yes i did steal that)

And i swear were not all wierd, just me and maybe mike.

alright, sounds good...

so is that the plan?

13 November, 3 in the afternoon at the Duke of York, which is on Bloor St. West, right in front of where the Varsity used to be and the conservatory?

Sean a leader :) anywho someone asked about Mirza, well he made about 3 lynx games last year and was all "Marsille-out" meaning all Marsille gear from haed to toe, inclouding a wrist-band. 20 people sounds good hopefully more can make it. I also hope that these people will show up to Lynx game this year on a consistan basis so we can get to know everyone and work on some bonds and become frind and what not which will make the transition to MLS much easier i still have my dream/fantasy which I hope is fullfiled come game 1 of MLS, me leading chants for a crazy group of fans behind the net. U-SECTOR FOREVER !!!!

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

I also hope that these people will show up to Lynx game this year on a consistan basis so we can get to know everyone and work on some bonds and become frind and what not which will make the transition to MLS much easier i still have my dream/fantasy which I hope is fullfiled come game 1 of MLS, me leading chants for a crazy group of fans behind the net. U-SECTOR FOREVER !!!!

What you are saying makes good sense. If we are going to be the best supporters group in the MLS, we do need to get to know eachother and use next years Lynx games as practice before MLS in 2007. We need to hit the ground running in 2007!

I know it makes perfect sense we can have a solid gorup who know eachothers name and can put faces to those names. People who know what we are all about we know who we can count on to bring this and that to games who lives where etc. So I hope to see all you MLS supportrs this season in the U-SECTOR @ Centenial :) !!!!!

quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

Bring 'em on! Im sure with a little money and a fan base we could do something great! If Sean and Tom are behind it... I surely think it's possible!

Bring on the new year and Lynx... then bring on the MLS!

Wow guys this is amazing stuff, but something I would never do. I guess you are ever bigger fans than I am.This is practicaaly impossible but there it is, you did it.Build on it and make history,ok

i definitely will TRY to make it out to a few games this year and create some chants, PRETEND that i am watching the MLS squad. Also, create some chants to annoy the heck out of the Hartrells.

Garber better announce this soon cause i am soo giddy, hehehehehehehehe, sean, i think we are just a bunch of effin weirdos, that you gotta luv us.

Galaxy, we are going to stick a chivas up your arse!!! lol

how is that for starters, hehehehe, definitely looking forward to the challenge.

BTW, the guy on the bottom right, seems to have a NICE HANDLE on the chivas girl, probably looking for some 4play. hehe

quote:Originally posted by john tv

In 1981 as part of the 100th year celebrations of Soccer in Toronto the soccer bowl was awarded to Toronto.ABC was the broadcasting media and we had a media conference at the John Molson room.Not one of the Toronto major media was there.Jim McKay from ABC was there and quite a few well known US writers.We could not get any interest in our media.At the last moment we were forced to buy a full page in the Toronto Star !

Even the PR department of Shoppers Drug Mart a major sponsor could not make any headway.They were totally disgusted and made it very clear that they thought there was something fishy here.

So gentlemen let us hope that it will be different this time and let us see to it that it will be different.By the way the CNE was close to a sell out ....................

I wish that it had been close to a sell out but unfortunately, while the attendance wasn't bad, it was only about 36,971 in the 54,000 seat stadium.

Part of the problem was that the the Blizzard absolutely stunk that year losing nine in a row at one point (7 and 25 for the season) and yes, media coverage was poor due in part to the poor team and the poor attendance.

At least we beat the Cosmos in the last game of the season.

The Soccer Bowl was horrible that year. The game was boring and the almost 37k could not get into it. The Cosmos lost to the Sting in a shootout.

My seats were behind the goal for that match. That's the only time I ever sat behind the goal at an NASL game at Exhibition Stadium (we even had better seats for the Blizzard games against Juventus & Nottingham Forest).

It's ironic that I ended up watching the Chicago Sting win two NASL championships in Toronto. The Chicago Fire have to like their odds should they play in an MLS Cup final here one day.

Archived