Starting goalie ?

Winnipeg Fury

I suspect Yallop will stick with Sutton for the time being, but Canada now has 3 clear choices for the starting position. Stamatopolous was finally given his long overdue opportunity, and proved that he was capable of facing one of the top sides in the world. Professionally, he has been Canada's most consistent goalie over the last 5 years (with the exception of Onstad who is no longer in the picture). Greece or Sweden, First or Second Division, he has always maintained his starting position.

Lars appears to be on track professionally, but what will happen when TIL's starting goalie returns ? If Lars can continue to perform and maintain his starting position, there is no doubt that FY will consider Lars for the starting position.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say Sutton is the starter, with the job bein his to lose, as kelownaguy said, however if lars keeps his career on track (and even moves up a league and keep up his stellar play) or if Danny steals a permanent starting spot and plays great, FY will have to give them a try.

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

From the video footage I saw in the Spain match, Kenny looked rather unorthodox and shaky... anyone agree?

I agree.

I only saw the second half, but it seemed that every shot Kenny stopped also was followed by a rebound. That was the only real flaw I noticed in his game, though.

From the video footage I saw in the Spain match, Kenny looked rather unorthodox and shaky... anyone agree?

I agree.

I only saw the second half, but it seemed that every shot Kenny stopped also was followed by a rebound. That was the only real flaw I noticed in his game, though.

Sutton first, a healthy Mike Franks second, then Lars.

Sutton and Franks are seeing regular action. Lars rides pine.

Doesn't matter if Lars crawls his way up to Div 1 in the best Euro Leagues... if Lars is a bench warmer, the other guys will be much, much sharper.

FYI: Mike Franks is being coached by Mike Toshack - same guy who brought Sutton into the spotlight.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Sutton first, a healthy Mike Franks second, then Lars.

Sutton and Franks are seeing regular action. Lars rides pine.

Doesn't matter if Lars crawls his way up to Div 1 in the best Euro Leagues... if Lars is a bench warmer, the other guys will be much, much sharper.

FYI: Mike Franks is being coached by Mike Toshack - same guy who brought Sutton into the spotlight.

Lars isn't riding the pine at the moment. He could be when the Tromso keeper comes back though.

My order:

1. Sutton

2. Lars

3. Dani

4. Kenny

5. Franks

Thank god we are getting some depth.

Lars isn't riding the pine at the moment. He could be when the Tromso keeper comes back though.

My order:

1. Sutton

2. Lars

3. Dani

4. Kenny

5. Franks

Thank god we are getting some depth.

I think that it's pretty clear that it's Sutton's job right now. I still think Lars is the clear #2 (yes, he is playing now regularly). After that it's either Franks and Kenny or Kenny and Franks. Dani can't be higher than #5 until he gets a call-up. I'm not saying he's not deserving, it's just the way it is right now in Yallop's mind, and he's the one who calls the guys up.

Is Franks trying to revive his career right now with the new coach? Last I heard his goal was to be a firefighter or some other non-soccer goal. Nothing wrong with that, but I was curious to see if he has re-committed himself to a shot in Europe.

Jason

Sutton has been solid game in and game out. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Lars, but If he slides back to the bench Im all for Kenny S. and Franks getting a shot at the Number 2.

Dani Fernandes should get a look within the next year. But as Timotas says, its great to see some depth at this position finally.

Sutton

Lars

Stamatopolous

Franks

Waiting in the Wings: Fernandes,Olivieri,Wagenaar,Zagar,Karim plus a few others.

If only we could get the defence sorted out.

I don't know what's going on in Syracuse, but Karim hasn't start the first 2 games(don't know if he's injured)....on the plus side, the starting keeper is canadian.

As for our starting goalie:

Sutton

Stama or Lars

Franks

Then: Wagenaar, Olivieri, Dani, Zagar???(too old)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I don't know what's going on in Syracuse, but Karim hasn't start the first 2 games(don't know if he's injured)....on the plus side, the starting keeper is canadian.

As for our starting goalie:

Sutton

Stama or Lars

Franks

Then: Wagenaar, Olivieri, Dani, Zagar???(too old)

Yes, that is how I see it as well, and that should stand for the next 6 months. After that, it may depend on who is thriving at the professional level. At some point Sutton will have to prove that he is better than the USL level, as I don't see either Lars or Kenny standing still. That said, both are without contracts in the next 6 months. Kenny simply has too much experience not to get signed to a first team contract somewhere, and hopefully Lars will capitalize on his recent strong showing at Tromso.

By the way, in my opinion it is useless to try to put anyone on the depth chart who has no caps and has never been called up. To me, that means that the only keepers that can even be considered to be put on a depth chart are: Lars, Sutton, Kenny, Franks, and Wagenaar. Until Dani gets called up he has to get lumped in with Karim, Oliveri, and the rest.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Why?

I guess it's a matter of how you want to approach it. If you want to rate the goalies based on your own opinion, there are no restrictions. But if you are trying to get into Yallop's head to determine what he thinks the depth chart is and how likely he is to call someone up, then you have to exclude guys who have never been called. Until he calls someone at least once, we don't have any way to rate Frank's view of him against the others. For example, I think it's safe to say that Kenny is ahead of Dani right now in Frank's mind because of the selection made for Spain. It's tough to tell about guys who haven't been called at all yet.

Jason

But caps are just one of many ways for a national coach to assess players. There is also scouting by knowlegeable association staff, the coach himself attending club matches (such as Euro national coaches do all the time), watching videos of the club matches the player is involved in, and training camps. Witnessing the performance during a "cap" match should only be a small part of the picture, and is an ultimately inefficient way to develop a depth chart if that is what is relied on predominantly.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

But caps are just one of many ways for a national coach to assess players. There is also scouting by knowlegeable association staff, the coach himself attending club matches (such as Euro national coaches do all the time), watching videos of the club matches the player is involved in, and training camps. Witnessing the performance during a "cap" match should only be a small part of the picture, and is an ultimately inefficient way to develop a depth chart if that is what is relied on predominantly.

I didn't mean number of caps or performance in cap matches. What I meant is that if you haven't been called up by Yallop yet to train (or play) on the senior squad, there is no real way for us to gauge how he rates them.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

By the way, in my opinion it is useless to try to put anyone on the depth chart who has no caps and has never been called up. To me, that means that the only keepers that can even be considered to be put on a depth chart are: Lars, Sutton, Kenny, Franks, and Wagenaar. Until Dani gets called up he has to get lumped in with Karim, Oliveri, and the rest.

Jason

I agree with you, but just want to say that Olivieri has been call to two B camps in the past year.

• 3 weeks later...

I think people need to remember what Lars did in the gold cup for Canada, also Sutton may be starting in USL, Lars has been "riding the pine" in some of the best leagues in the world behind some dman good keepers...Lars still deserves a clear shot at #1 especially with his current performance in the UEFA cup

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Darcy Fett

I think people need to remember what Lars did in the gold cup for Canada, also Sutton may be starting in USL, Lars has been "riding the pine" in some of the best leagues in the world behind some dman good keepers...Lars still deserves a clear shot at #1 especially with his current performance in the UEFA cup

I get the feeling that Lars has not really been playing regularly, or has not been able to show his stuff, since that Gold Cup that really was his breakout moment. It was an odd thing, it got him to Spurs but he only played Reserves. For Canada he has not really had a great game since then, so perhaps now he is playing confidently and regularly he may show us more at the national team level.

In any case, considering Luxembourg is the next match, it is not too significant who gets called in, you could just as well try out a younger group or look to give folks some time with the nats who have not seen much.

Archived