Starting goalie ?

Winnipeg Fury

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Sorry, but I think the question is legitimate. Why didn't Lars show up for the Spain match? Wouldn't you agree that if he really wanted to start over the guys doing the work over the past two years he should have made an effort?

Since you are a family member, maybe you have inside information. Did Lars have a good excuse to not go to the Canada camp in Madrid and on to Santander? If he did, you may be right in considering our insinuations crap. If he didn't, maybe you are wrong to think he should walk into the starting spot on the basis of two or three months of regular club play in the last 3 years.

Lars was not invited to Spain thats why he didnt go, so people should maybe try to get the facts rights before they criticize people for not showing, there is a lot more to being a member of the international team and I would not believe a thing the press says cuz they are usually wrong.

I am in no way saying that Lars should be the guranteed #1 but I feel he should be considered equal with Sutton who as many have said plays in a sub par league.

FWIW, Yallop indicated in a Neil Davidson article that Lars turned down the invite against Spain as Lars wanted to solidify his position with his new club, and while Yallop would have loved to have had him for the match, he agreed with Lars' decision. I think it was the best thing for all actually as it gave us a chance to finally look at Kenny, who proved to me in that match that he can perform at the international level, while Lars is going from strength to strength at Tromso.

That's my recollection of what the article said, which I'm sure somebody can dig-up to confirm (its been posted on this forum) if they are eager-beaver enough. I can't vouch that its true, as I'm not Frank Yallop.

And not surpring considering Yallop turned to Sutton after telling Lars to concentrate on his professional career.

Keep in mind that Lars was only signed to a short-term 6-month contract, and he will soon be unemployed unless TIL (who have a solid veteran goalie) or another club sign him in the coming weeks.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

And not surpring considering Yallop turned to Sutton after telling Lars to concentrate on his professional career.

Keep in mind that Lars was only signed to a short-term 6-month contract, and he will soon be unemployed unless TIL (who have a solid veteran goalie) or another club sign him in the coming weeks.

First off, with reports coming out of MLS that Frank has indeed spoken with a team there, we have a contradiction with Frank saying that he has not spoken to any MLS team and that all rumours to the effect are just that.

This makes me wonder what the real situation was with Lars. Was he not invited to Spain, or did he turn Canada down? I am now not clear on this.

In any case, I think that if he can play solidly for Tromso these next two months, help them avoid relegation, and have a decent run in UEFA (though they are not expected to go through, being the lowest ranked team left in the entire show), he will be resigned. And if they go down I would not be surprised to see him being picked up by another team in top flight Norway.

Guest Stian Stryni

Hello canadian friends!

This is my first posting here, as I found the forum yesterday. I am from Tromso and may perhaps have some information about your "canucks" in Tromso and also elsewhere in Norway.

Enough on me, now some on Lars! Or King Lars as we the supporters call him...

Lars has been playing regular matches since our #1 goalie was injuried this summer. The transfer was july 28. He played the first match august 3rd. He has played all 8 matches in the league since. He also played both matches against Esbjerg and Galatasaray. In the 12 matches he has played until now he has never let in more than one goal (except the penalty shoot-out against Esbjerg where they only got 2 penalties out of 6 behind him in the net)

He is rated as the 7th best player of "Tippeligaen" by VG with 5,5 points (http://fotball.vg.no/bors/spiller.php?spiller_id=15797&sesong_id=143) and

13th best by "Dagbladet" with 5,4 points (http://www.dagbladet.no/pls/dbprod/fotball.spillerinfo?pspiller=3353&pliga=82). (but has too few matches to enter the list officially - these are the biggest news papers in Norway)

About the Luxembourg game newspapers in Tromso reported that Lars said no to play, but with no explanation to why. (we all guess he won't risk anything)

Our #1 goalie is Knut Borch who was training with Arsenal last year, and debuted on the national side before he broke his hand this spring. (http://www.til.no/visprofil.aspx?PlayerID=210) He is only 25 years old and is a product of TIL, and is the goallie TIL will use when he is back in form, he is the future. He will get a hell-uf-a-time getting the #1 spot back from Lars though.

Lars Hirschfeld has been offered an extension to his contract but I'm not sure for how many years that is (will check it out.) He is waiting to see if TIL will be relegated before he signs any contracts, but has extended the contract anyways to play in the UEFA groupstage.

I don't think Lars will stay for long the way he has played in the UEFA-cup and also in the league.

quote:Originally posted by Stian Stryni

Hello canadian friends!

This is my first posting here, as I found the forum yesterday. I am from Tromso and may perhaps have some information about your "canucks" in Tromso and also elsewhere in Norway.

Enough on me, now some on Lars! Or King Lars as we the supporters call him...

Lars has been playing regular matches since our #1 goalie was injuried this summer. The transfer was july 28. He played the first match august 3rd. He has played all 8 matches in the league since. He also played both matches against Esbjerg and Galatasaray. In the 12 matches he has played until now he has never let in more than one goal (except the penalty shoot-out against Esbjerg where they only got 2 penalties out of 6 behind him in the net)

He is rated as the 7th best player of "Tippeligaen" by VG with 5,5 points (http://fotball.vg.no/bors/spiller.php?spiller_id=15797&sesong_id=143) and

13th best by "Dagbladet" with 5,4 points (http://www.dagbladet.no/pls/dbprod/fotball.spillerinfo?pspiller=3353&pliga=82). (but has too few matches to enter the list officially - these are the biggest news papers in Norway)

About the Luxembourg game newspapers in Tromso reported that Lars said no to play, but with no explanation to why. (we all guess he won't risk anything)

Our #1 goalie is Knut Borch who was training with Arsenal last year, and debuted on the national side before he broke his hand this spring. (http://www.til.no/visprofil.aspx?PlayerID=210) He is only 25 years old and is a product of TIL, and is the goallie TIL will use when he is back in form, he is the future. He will get a hell-uf-a-time getting the #1 spot back from Lars though.

Lars Hirschfeld has been offered an extension to his contract but I'm not sure for how many years that is (will check it out.) He is waiting to see if TIL will be relegated before he signs any contracts, but has extended the contract anyways to play in the UEFA groupstage.

I don't think Lars will stay for long the way he has played in the UEFA-cup and also in the league.

As Lars' cousin I am very glad to hear that Tromso has accepted him so well, our family wishes him all the best of luck in the following UEFA cup rounds...if you could please keep me updated on what the papers in Tromso say about Lars that would be much appreciated. Thank You

Archived