Canada to play Spain, Luxembourg.....

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

What a weird thread. Sometimes we are authentically mind blowing, aren't we now?

Where are we ranked in the world next to Bosnia and Lithuania?

What happened the last time Spain played these two teams in WC qualifying?

Why shouldn't we think we can at least try to match such efforts, for whatever it is worth? Or at least show them a few of us can play well, maybe there is a decent 2nd Div contract in there waiting for someone.

If you go into a game thinking all is lost you are in bad shape, you cannot play like Canada U20 vs. Colombia, as in the end they were not so good in the tournament. I think our Scotland and Germany games are the point of reference, take it to them in the 1st half at least.

I have seen this a thousand times, teams come in afraid and they get whipped, they come in with a bit of gall and keen to prove something, and they cause problems. Most third tier teams in Spain play Madrid or Barça in the Cup with more bite and character than the majority of lower level Champion's League squads coming through, who just lie down like sick dogs. The lower level Sp teams do this because they know that all this aura can be outdone by a great effort, and they have not mystified the stars, they are just men like them, hell, some of them played youth together, etc.. This is what we have to do. Take it to Spain, show confidence, and see if we can undo the Gordian knot for a famous result.

Anything more?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I think that playing sides like Spain, Germany, Czechs Rep, you risk that you will poorly assess individual performances because position by position comparasions don't apply.

Agreed, you could underestimate a individual's abilities against quality opposition, and be unduly critical of that player. Conversely, you could severely overestimate a player's talents against far weaker opposition. For instance, how could you properly assess Pozniak's performance against Cuba? I would rather have seen how he would have done against the Americans.

If your best 22 man squad is primarily European-based, it's great to get them as many internationals in Europe or North Africa (Morocco?) as possible to build more teamwork without massive travel burdens. I am very pleased about playing a top side like Spain and even a Euro minnow in Luxembourg. Good job, CSA!

Peters is cap-tied. He played in a WCQ. Not that I have a clue who else he was going to play for . . . Jonathan DeGuzman won't be fully cap tied until we have another WCQ (though a Gold Cup would count I think), since you can reneg on a youth cap now right?

Who doesn't want to go watch us play here:

riazor.jpg

Man the fun to be had there looks limitless . . .

cheers,

matthew

Man, this John Deguzman talk just never ends... It's been reported in several different stories over the past couple years, and through his brother,, that he wants to wait and be a first team starter before committing to anything involving the national team. I'm pretty sure he'll let his brother and the powers that be know when it's time... As far as some not liking the friendly against Spain,, I guess it just goes to show that you can't please everyone no matter what... whether it be the roster selected or who we play friendlies against. I for one am very happy about these 2 games.. one game against one of the world's better clubs,, another against a weaker team then us,, that is a very good balance..

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

If JdG Jr. is playing for the Feyenoord first team, doesn't Yallop have to call him to for Spain to see what happens? We know he'll call JP so what's the difference?

I'd like to see no Impact, no DDR, and no Scandinavians except Hutch who hopefully will be on to bigger and better things. How about this whilst were speculating/dreaming/bitching:

----------------Fernandes-------------------

Nsaliwa------Reda--------Klukowski----Simpson

Peters-----Bobby:)----Hutchinson----Stalteri

-----------Hume---------McKenna-------------

Begovic, Brennan, Ledgerwood, Imhof, Edgar, Gyaki, Bobby Jr.

Starting a 22 yrs old with almost no pro(first team) experience and no Senior international experience in goal against one of the top side on the planet would be crazy. It's the kind of game we need to give to Sutton, he did well in the GC so let see what he can do against Spain (a good performance could help his case for Europe or MLS). I don't understand why you want no Impact, at least you want Sutton to be there.

BTW, I like the rest of your lineup except for Begovic for the same reason as Fernandes.

Sorry to be cynical, but I have to agree with RJB. We got spanked by Portugal, and didn't learn a damn thing from the experience. How is this going to be any better?

We don't need flash matches. We need competent managers and coaches. We need more of the "bread and butter", not the "icing on the cake", for those who like cliches.

I'd much rather do well against half-arsed Gold Cup opponents than international glory sides.

Call me cynical, but I just don't see 90 minutes against Spain as doing much for Canada's development.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Sorry to be cynical, but I have to agree with RJB. We got spanked by Portugal, and didn't learn a damn thing from the experience.

Spanked? If Hirschfeld had played well or DeRo scores in the second minute that's a totally different match. Totally . . .

What I learned . . . Atiba can not only hold his own defensively in the back (Boa Morte? Cristiano Ronaldo? gtf), but he can also get forward, overlap and he nearly scored.

Klukowski is for real. He got forward and shut down Cryin Cristiano well enough that he switched sides to get away from him.

Hirschfeld is struggling and need to get his sh*t together and settle with a club before he gets to battle for the top spot again.

McKenna and Reda don't have the pace to be paired in central defence at the highest level. (I don't think we needed the Portugal game to learn this).

The combination of Stalteri, DeGuzman, Brennan, Imhof and DeRosario held more posession than the Euro runners-up and stroked the ball around nicely and created some chances. If we can do that there, why can't we do that anywhere? Also when we hold posession, we're able to get our wingbacks forward and we looked like a real team there for spells.

Also we got worse when DeRo was farmed out to the left flank.

I also felt that the Portugal game was a sign that we were well on the right track and that Yallop was starting to use the right people in the right places and we were able to play a game where we kept the ball on the deck, had patience and worked it around despite the quality of the opposition. We were poor in the back, especially up the middle, but we took steps forward on that front in the Gold Cup.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Sorry to be cynical, but I have to agree with RJB. We got spanked by Portugal, and didn't learn a damn thing from the experience.

Spanked? If Hirschfeld had played well or DeRo scores in the second minute that's a totally different match. Totally . . .

What I learned . . . Atiba can not only hold his own defensively in the back (Boa Morte? Cristiano Ronaldo? gtf), but he can also get forward, overlap and he nearly scored.

Klukowski is for real. He got forward and shut down Cryin Cristiano well enough that he switched sides to get away from him.

Hirschfeld is struggling and need to get his sh*t together and settle with a club before he gets to battle for the top spot again.

McKenna and Reda don't have the pace to be paired in central defence at the highest level. (I don't think we needed the Portugal game to learn this).

The combination of Stalteri, DeGuzman, Brennan, Imhof and DeRosario held more posession than the Euro runners-up and stroked the ball around nicely and created some chances. If we can do that there, why can't we do that anywhere? Also when we hold posession, we're able to get our wingbacks forward and we looked like a real team there for spells.

Also we got worse when DeRo was farmed out to the left flank.

I also felt that the Portugal game was a sign that we were well on the right track and that Yallop was starting to use the right people in the right places and we were able to play a game where we kept the ball on the deck, had patience and worked it around despite the quality of the opposition. We were poor in the back, especially up the middle, but we took steps forward on that front in the Gold Cup.

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

nt

Starting a 22 yrs old with almost no pro(first team) experience and no Senior international experience in goal against one of the top side on the planet would be crazy. It's the kind of game we need to give to Sutton, he did well in the GC so let see what he can do against Spain (a good performance could help his case for Europe or MLS). I don't understand why you wano Impact, at least you want Sutton to be there.

BTW, I like the rest of your lineup except for Begovic for the same reason as Fernandes.

Fernandes sees shots every day -game or practice- that Sutton could not even imagine existed. Hell, even two years ago he practiced regularly with the first team of Celta Vigo; at Oporto he was teammate with many guys now on the Portugal nats (Helder). I think you are underestimating his readiness.

Meanwhile, Sutton went looking for his European opp and didn't find it. The probable conclusion is that those goalkeeping coaches were dumb and Sutton is too good for them. And that whoever thinks Fernandes is ready at Paok hasn't a clue.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by matthew

Peters is cap-tied. He played in a WCQ. Not that I have a clue who else he was going to play for . . . Jonathan DeGuzman won't be fully cap tied until we have another WCQ (though a Gold Cup would count I think), since you can reneg on a youth cap now right?

riazor.jpg

cheers,

matthew

That is in fact Riazor beach, which is what the stadium is named after. It has rarely ever been filled. An odd reality, but in fact the near million in La Coruña won't spend money on football, even when a perennial 2nd division team like theirs found itself winning the league and playing Champions.

If you like heaps of shellfish and slightly sparkling white wine is the most wicked place in the world, you've never seen anything like it.

Daniel,, you are bang on about the familiarity factor, that's what it comes down to. And for those that don't think going up against one of the world's top teams and losing doesn't make us any better of a team,, it makes me wonder how many of you have played at a decent level of sport in your life.. You have to go up against the top teams in your sport and face adversity, take the lumps to make improvements. I'll certainly take a 4-1 loss to Portugal over back to back 4-0 victories over Belize.. Believe me,, games like Portugal and Spain will make us better in the long run, as long as we keep using the same base of players..

quote:Originally posted by Alex

Are you serious? are you trying to say that its not good for our players to get exposed to bigger clubs in order to improve their game and subsiquently improve the national team? Its not their responsibility to get players exposure, but exposure is an indirect effect of playing teams like Spain. By the way why else do you think the CSA got Hearts and Millwall to play in B.C. last year??

It helps that we play these teams, but it isn't the responsibility of the team. The benefits are there surely, but that's not the purpose of playing friendlies.

Furthermore, if you are impressed that Millwall and Hearts came here, then think again. Hearts are a 'B' rate team, and Millwall are too.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

riazor.jpg

cheers,

matthew

We'd all love to watch them play there, but the fact is, it probably won't be televised.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

What ANY friendly brings is familiarity between the players and, importantly, a 3-5 days of practicing together. People seem to overlook that.

This is very true. Regardless of the opponent, this is a good thing.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Fernandes sees shots every day -game or practice- that Sutton could not even imagine existed. Hell, even two years ago he practiced regularly with the first team of Celta Vigo; at Oporto he was teammate with many guys now on the Portugal nats (Helder). I think you are underestimating his readiness.

Meanwhile, Sutton went looking for his European opp and didn't find it. The probable conclusion is that those goalkeeping coaches were dumb and Sutton is too good for them. And that whoever thinks Fernandes is ready at Paok hasn't a clue.

Sorry for the quote mods, but I just wanted to say I agree with both of you and you're both right. My assumption is that Sutton will be busy in the playoffs. Give Fernandes a shot. Why not? He's our only top-level European keeper. Although Begovic may be playing 1st team somewhere -hence the inclusion.

My point is simple, it would be crazy to start him against Spain at such a young age since he has almost no experience at that level, that could be dangerous for him(that could also be very good for him but the risk is too high I think). Play him for a half against Lux, I have no problem but Spain is too risky that he get scored 4-5 goals, and that won't be good.

As for your argument Jeffrey S., Fernandes was training with top guys and Karim was training with NCAA teenagers, who got the call in 2003?

I still think that Sutton deserve the #1 and let's wait to see where Fernandes career goes and if he starts to play on a consistent basis, call him. Unless he does that, don't burn the kid and let him the chance to developp at the pro level(and let him if you're Yallop know that you're aware of him and that you'll follow him to see how he does). He's still young(21 or 22), no hurry.

Fernandes is young but he's not really that inexperienced and he's certainly old enough to face a challenge. Why the kid gloves? Anyway, lets say Sutton is busy. Who else would you start. You can't go to Hirschfeld just because you think Fernandes might give up 4. No one would be surprised if we gave up 4. He could be MOTM and still give up 4. What's the big deal for his psyche?

Guest Jeffery S.

The game would be on TVE international, almost for sure. Though I understand there are some complaints by Spaniards outside the country that certain matches are not being shown, don't know the criteria used.

It must be on some Sp language satelite package, thing to do is ask the local Spanish consul or even the Spanish dept of a university nearby.

I once watched a Real Madrid-Barça in a Spanish cultural centre in Marseilles, great fun.

Playing some of the best will only test our team more. What athlete or even chess player doesn't want the chance to play against top ranked competition. So good on the CSA (I payed a compliment to the CSA.....oh what have I done).

My thinking maybe strange. But the idea behind friendlies is not to win (although a bonus) but to test the players and promote the team and to mold our guys into a team. Try different things, different players, stratagies, see how players react to each other and dip into and broaden our pool of players.

I see nothing but good coming out of these two matches, if nothing else our players will get to know each other and learn better how each other play and what to expect from each other.

I have always thought that (sorry bad for names and matches) the awfull back pass to the keeper in WCQ that resulted in a goal against was caused because the out player that passed back seemed to be expecting cover from another defender that wasn't there. More and more friendlies will help our players know how their team mates do things.

Spain, Luxembourg or Antarctica. Playing strong teams will help our play in our end and test our forwards against top defense and weak teams will help our offense as well as getting our back players used to going forward. Friendlies should be looked upon as exhibitions not a win or lose scenario. No friendly is bad and should only help our team learn more.

Archived