Jump to content

Canada to play Spain, Luxembourg.....


Winnipeg Fury

Recommended Posts

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

But allow me to disagree in this: We were not embarrassed in '86. We did not win, but certainly were not embarrassed!

I agree completely and so did World Soccer. In their post World Cup issue their team summaries basically said "Debutants will be disappointed to go home without a goal, but put a scare into the European champions. Earned respect with an honest, hard-working approach and gave more traditional footballing nations a lesson in hard work (not naming names but go back one reference."

Which was a reference to Bulgaria who they felt were 'rude, negative and wasteful of what talent they had." or something to that effect.

I don't think we hurt our reputation any in Mexico, though I appreciate the point. There have been times (Confed Cup for example) where I've felt Ñ if this is the best we can achieve, then maybe it's best we don't go to the World Cup and get our asses handed to us.

cheers,

matthew

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by matthew

I agree completely and so did World Soccer. In their post World Cup issue their team summaries basically said "Debutants will be disappointed to go home without a goal, but put a scare into the European champions. Earned respect with an honest, hard-working approach and gave more traditional footballing nations a lesson in hard work (not naming names but go back one reference."

Which was a reference to Bulgaria who they felt were 'rude, negative and wasteful of what talent they had." or something to that effect.

I don't think we hurt our reputation any in Mexico, though I appreciate the point. There have been times (Confed Cup for example) where I've felt Ñ if this is the best we can achieve, then maybe it's best we don't go to the World Cup and get our asses handed to us.

cheers,

matthew

I have to agree that "Embarrased" may be the wrong adjective to discribe our perfoemance. But you can safely say that we didn't embarrass ourselves because that was what we set out to do. So the point Jayway raised is not entirely wrong. We played with the objective of not embarrassing ourselves rather than earning a result or playing well. And, anytime you go to the WC and come away with no goals in three games, you cannot be entirely satisfied. Not is it going to make you, stand out.

I also concure that its a greater disapointment when we repeated this same feat ( no goals in three games)at the Confederations. The Confed cup is not the WC and it sure would have been nice to see some progress in this area and show that we are more confident as a side. Few follow the Confed Cup, so it would have been nice to go out with bang. I don't consider that 0-0 tie against a brazilian B or C side a significant achievement considering the circumstance. But I would have felt differently with 1-1, or 2-2 scoreline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's one of the advantages of moving them to Scandinavia, somewhat longer seasons keeping them in shape & sharp longer and they are available for Euro-based friendlies.

The disadvantage of course being that for future important matches in North America they will need to be flown over here with most the rest of our national team prior to playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Jeffery S.

Another advantage is that by playing top flight they are free on all FIFA dates. Respected by all top divisions except really MLS. So this makes travelling for the national team less problematic, on a good team like Viking there are Norway national team players I would imagine, or other internationals I'd guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The disadvantage of course being that for future important matches in North America they will need to be flown over here with most the rest of our national team prior to playing.

On the flip side, Yallop can hold camps in Europe and invite all the European based players to attend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Jeffery S.

Time to bump this by insisting that the Spain match has yet to be confirmed by Spain, so not on the Spanish federation site, no papers have picked it up either.

There is a possibility that Aragones will decide he does not want a competitive match before the crucial Serbia tie on the 7th (reffed by Collina by the way), and that Spain will still come up with a refusal for Canada.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Time to bump this by insisting that the Spain match has yet to be confirmed by Spain, so not on the Spanish federation site, no papers have picked it up either.

There is a possibility that Aragones will decide he does not want a competitive match before the crucial Serbia tie on the 7th (reffed by Collina by the way), and that Spain will still come up with a refusal for Canada.

That would suck big time!!!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Jeffery S.

This is a stadium used a lot for Spain games, mid level. The field is good, training and training centres nearby are very fine, food excellent. Airport there, but also you could opt for Bilbao, quite close, for more options. This is the report I read:

Spain to play friendly against Canada in Santander

MADRID, Aug 5 (Reuters) - Spain will play Canada in a friendly international in Santander on September 3 as part of their preparation for their World Cup qualifier against Serbia & Montenegro.

Primera Liga side Racing Santander said on Friday that the Spanish Football Federation had confirmed that the match would take place at their El Sardinero stadium.

Spain, who also play another friendly against Uruguay in Gijon on August 17, lead the European zone Group Seven by a point from Serbia & Montenegro but have played a game more than their rivals.

The two unbeaten sides meet each other at Atletico Madrid's Vicente Calderon stadium on September.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...