Canada to play Spain, Luxembourg.....

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Canada could lose to Spain 2-1 and I'd bet morale would be very high. Our players aren't stupid, they know they are underdogs against the world's top teams. I think they would be more concerned with their performance against a team like Spain rather than having the expectation that they will beat them. THe hope yes, expectation, I doubt it.

Yes, we need a few more wins to boost the psyche of our team, but in a situation where we are so clearly an underdog a loss would only do harm if play horribly and get embarassed. We need to prove that we can do that, and there's no reason that our top team should get embarassed by anyone.

I think it would be far more important to defeat Luxembourg than to defeat Spain, because a loss to a minnow like that could really deflate the morale the way a loss to Malta did (after which a few players left the programme, seemingly for good until Holger left).

Yes I agree that playing well is the most important thing at this point. I also hope that morale will be high. I am sure it would with close scoreline.

I just think that at this stage it would be nice to play more of the type of sides that will allow us more possession time on the ball. We need that right now. Had we played a few more games against that Cuban side that we faced at the Gold cup, we might have evenually filled the net against them by the second or third game. Just wish that we would have played Luxenbourg first.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you play who's available, and as mentioned the CSA is a begger and thus not a chooser.

That Spain would entertain Canada as a reasonable warm-up opponent is an honour. That they'll likely foot the CSA's bills for the test is a bonus and I'm sure contributing factor. That it's Spain means we'll actually get to see the fu'king thing.

What's to complain about?

Get in there. Helter skelter or not, do what you can and maybe, just maybe, one of our lads will catch the eye of someone somewhere.

This is great.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

That it's Spain means we'll actually get to see the fu'king thing.

We'll get to see it eventually, assuming Jeffrey will be able to get a copy of it. But other than that, if Sportsnet is what you have in mind, don't be so sure...

I'd like to add more to what I said before concerning this Spain match, but I can't right now, and I'll likely lose interest by the time I can. So I just wanted to say that I'm not complaining about the match and I'm certainly not saying that we should turn it down. I'm just saying that I don't think such matches are as great as they are usually made out to be. I explained why in my first post.

Not against a Spain match, particularly if it maybe exposes some of our up and comers to the odd scout or two.

Preferably, in the future I'd rather see us tour the second tier Euro nations like Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, Slovakia etc. I think it would be a more competitive match and a real chance to assess our players.

Still, I will not turn down the chance to play a friendly in any of the top nations either. This means we've played Portugal, Spain, Germany and the Czech Republic in the last three years. Not bad.

Well these big sort of games help our players get exposed. For instance, look at DeGuzman getting signed by Deportivo. One of the Portuguese players who play for Depor (Costinha?)... recommended to the management that they should keep an eye on him, and look what happened.. he got signed. Getting exposed is an important ingreident to getting to the top leagues (there are great players who didn't go anywhere, because they were never exposed); other examples are Josh Simpson and Serioux playing for Millwall.

Maybe Cristiano Ronaldo would be still playing for Sporting Lisbon if Man Utd didn't play them and were so impressed with him.

So it's pretty obvious that these Canadian players know that by putting out a good performance could mean playing at a bigger stage. Someone like Grande could get picked up by a smaller La Liga team or a Segunda Liga team, maybe Sutton, maybe DeRo...

What kind of fans are you people? You're seriously too analytical. It's not like we have a schedule. It's not like a club side where we wait for August or wait for the spring with the USL. We have to wait for the whims of friendlies. I was sort of detoxing after the Gold Cup and the U20s and wondering what was next and when it might happen and what do I find today? TWO friendlies and one of them is SPAIN! Iker Cassilas, Raul, Albelda, Xavi Alonso, Joaquin, Puyol, Luque, you know SPAIN! This rules! I wasn't sure we'd get anything before Christmas. Yeah it's a meaningless friendly. What else do we have to look forward to until the 2007 U20 WYC?

I have no idea what good this will do us, but I don't think competitive games are ever a bad thing and playing very good teams certainly can expose weaknesses and maybe even make us better. Had we had a manager in place for when we played the Czechs and the Irish, they might have been very useful friendlies pre-World Cup. Sadly that wasn't the case.

If my best friend wasn't getting married the next day, I'd be tempted to go see this live. As it stands I'm down for finding a nice pub in Ottawa and cheering on a famous victory (as long as it doesn't interfere with the rehersal dinner, but I'm sure we'll be safe).;) Who's in O-town that day?

cheers,

matthew

re

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Hopefully, the Impact players won't be available for Spain ;).

Mercredi 31 août 19h30 Impact Montréal - Vancouver Whitecaps

Dimanche 4 septembre 16h00 Impact Montréal - Minnesota Thunder

Vendredi 9 septembre 22h00 Seattle Sounders - Impact Montréal

Dimanche 11 septembre 19h00 Vancouver Whitecaps - Impact Montréal

Here is the end of season schedule for the Mtl Impact. The way I see it they will already be qualified for the playoffs by that time so Frank can take anyone he wants from the team and give them some exposure in Spain.

ya, I love that we wre playing Spain and Luxembourg! There is no doubt that any european team is a good thing for Canada (except maybe a couple nations). I think any exposure Canada gets is good, no matter if we lose 4-1 again (though we deserved better against Prt).

I understand the argument that we should play teams we should or could beat but what success is that? if you play against greater opposition, play hard and have a hunger to win, then we wil only get better!

The thing I really like about these two opponents is that one (Spain) will be a great high-profile test for our A team while the other (Luxembourg) will be a great chance to test out some other players.

If we play our A team against Luxembourg we'll thrash them as badly as Belize, so I'd like to see the likes of Thunder Dan, Rob Friend and possibly even David Edgar get a look in that one. Maybe Luxembourg is the right opponent to give Jamie Peters his first start against as well.

Just imagine the exposure we would get playing the likes of Panama, Haiti, Jamaica and Guatamala!!

We have just finished the Gold Cup where Frank had a chance to test our guys, now he is taking the next step by testing some of those players who performed, and you guys still find a way to bitch. Canada's biggest problem is getting their best players playing for better clubs and that is because the team doesn't get enough exposure, so by giving the team a fiendly against Spain it may open some doors for our players!

You're right, we should be playing teams like I mentioned above, but now is not the time. For who don't remember we just played Honduras.

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

Well these big sort of games help our players get exposed. For instance, look at DeGuzman getting signed by Deportivo. One of the Portuguese players who play for Depor (Costinha?)... recommended to the management that they should keep an eye on him, and look what happened.. he got signed. Getting exposed is an important ingreident to getting to the top leagues (there are great players who didn't go anywhere, because they were never exposed); other examples are Josh Simpson and Serioux playing for Millwall.

Maybe Cristiano Ronaldo would be still playing for Sporting Lisbon if Man Utd didn't play them and were so impressed with him.

So it's pretty obvious that these Canadian players know that by putting out a good performance could mean playing at a bigger stage. Someone like Grande could get picked up by a smaller La Liga team or a Segunda Liga team, maybe Sutton, maybe DeRo...

It is not the National Team's responsibility to get players exposure in order that they recieve a transfer.

I didn't think we were completely outclassed by Portugal. Didn't we end up with about 45% possession? The biggest difference I saw in the Portugal game was they were able to finish on their chances and we were not able to do much in the final third. From what I saw in the Portugal game I would not expect us to be completely outclassed by Spain. I am not expecting a win but I am expecting a good game.

I think everyone agrees that we need our best players to play together more often. I think it is easier to bring in the best players when we are playing the best teams. People are less likely to turn down an invite to play Spain than a team like N. Ireland.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Isbrant

quote:Originally posted by RJB

It is not the National Team's responsibility to get players exposure in order that they recieve a transfer.

Are you serious? are you trying to say that its not good for our players to get exposed to bigger clubs in order to improve their game and subsiquently improve the national team? Its not their responsibility to get players exposure, but exposure is an indirect effect of playing teams like Spain. By the way why else do you think the CSA got Hearts and Millwall to play in B.C. last year??

There are alot of good points raised in favour of playing a friendly against a side like Spain. This is not an overly contentious issue in my mind and certainly not something worth sparking emotional outburst. But this is what makes discussion boards fun in that we discuss in depth these kind of topics. For example, if I had more time today, I would like to take a stab at the suggestion that: " playing very good teams certainly can expose weaknesses". I think that playing sides like Spain, Germany, Czechs Rep, you risk that you will poorly assess individual performances because position by position comparasions don't apply.

I think that those who have raised conterconcerns have some valid points too.

If JdG Jr. is playing for the Feyenoord first team, doesn't Yallop have to call him to for Spain to see what happens? We know he'll call JP so what's the difference?

I'd like to see no Impact, no DDR, and no Scandinavians except Hutch who hopefully will be on to bigger and better things. How about this whilst were speculating/dreaming/bitching:

----------------Fernandes-------------------

Nsaliwa------Reda--------Klukowski----Simpson

Peters-----Bobby:)----Hutchinson----Stalteri

-----------Hume---------McKenna-------------

Begovic, Brennan, Ledgerwood, Imhof, Edgar, Gyaki, Bobby Jr.

That's a good question. We all know the young DeGuzman has refused calls from Dale Mitchel, but has Frank Yallop come a calling? Would it make a difference?

If Peters was played simply to cap-tie him to Canada, then we should by all means try to get DeGuzman cap-tied as well... and a friendly is just the one to do it. Maybe a call to play against Spain would be enough incentive to get him to come out and play.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I didn't mean to suggest that Peters needed to be cap-tied. Nor do I mean to suggest that's what anyone is suggesting I suggested. :) I just mean Peters and Bobby Jr are the same age. The only difference I see is the the latter scored a lot of goals in the reserves this year.

The main difference was that Peters was unattached when he started and was integrated with the Canadian sides. JdG2 seems to be keeping his options open and probably won't make a choice until he's a regular in the Feyenoord starting 11 and has received his Dutch papers.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

The main difference was that Peters was unattached when he started and was integrated with the Canadian sides. JdG2 seems to be keeping his options open and probably won't make a choice until he's a regular in the Feyenoord starting 11 and has received his Dutch papers.

Bobby Jr's reasons had been explained exhaustively on this board. I don't have a problem with them. However, I'm asking from Yallop's perspective. Clearly he doesn't mind giving a teenager a chance. So I don't see how he can ignore Jonathan if he's on Feyenoord 1st team. FY has called out Brennan and Nsaliwa in public. Shouldn't he be consistent and make it public that he called Jonathan DeGuzman? The player can refuse and that's fine. But who knows? He may just accept.

I'm not trying to say Yallop should do this to cap-tie the kid. We legitimately need forwards who can score. I thought JDG Jr. had something like 18 for the reserves? Anyway, assuming the Canadian and Scandinavian players are needed by their clubs for relegation/promotion/play-offs, who else other than McKenna and Hume is scoring at a higher level the this guy?

I didn't mean to reopen the whole "will DeGuz Jr. play for us" - and I know that he's still weighing his options under the guise of "wanting to solidify his club career first". But has Yallop ever publicly called him? We all know Mitchell has, and been refused (perhaps he SHOULD have tried in German~).

What I was getting at is that, being called by the U-20 coach and the MNT is two different things. So...

a)Has Yallop come a calling?

b)Should He?

c)Would it make a difference? (Yallop instead of Mitchell)

d)Would it make a difference? (cap ties/improved quality of team)

Archived