June 3 U20 Friendly - Canada vs. Morocco [R]

DJT

Originally posted by The Beaver - 06/03/2005 : 14:15:59</u>

Hey, we're playing Morocco today, right? I'd imagine the game is in progress or has already been played. If anybody can find a score, that'd be great.

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Friday, June 03, 2005

Youth Fall 2-0 To Morocco

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Men’s Youth (U-20) team were defeated 2-0 by Morocco on Friday, June 3 in Feignies, France in their last international friendly before playing their opening match of the FIFA World Youth Championship against Syria on June 12, 2005 in Tilburg, Holland.

Andrea Lombardo almost gave Canada the lead in 72nd minute as he beat the last Moroccan defender and then marched up the center for a shot right of the post from 16-yards out.

In the 81st minute, Morocco took the lead after Canada lost possession inside their 18 yard box and allowed Abdes Benjellou to collect the ball for a left foot stike past Josh Wagenaar’s left side.

Morocco’s second goal came in the final minute of extra time on a penalty taken by Nabil El Zhar. The penalty was awarded after Nikolas Ledgerwood fouled a Moroccan striker inside the penalty area.

“The boys looked fatigued today, probably due to the work we have done since arriving in France,” said Head Coach Dale Mitchell. “However, there is no excuse for the lack of discipline that led to the two Moroccan goals in the last ten minutes.”

Final 21

In the forward position, Mitchell has named Will Johnson (Chicago Fire), Franco Lalli (Cavese Calcio), Andrea Lombardo (Atalanta BC), and Riley O’Neill (University of Kentucky).

The Midfield will be lined by Tomasz Charowski (Duke University), Marcel De Jong (Helmond Sport), Ryan Gyaki (Sheffield United FC), Jaime Peters (Ipswich Town FC), Carlo Schiavoni (UAB), and Tyler Rosenlund (UC Santa Barbara).

Defenders Graham Ramalo (FC Groningen), Nikolas Ledgerwood (1860 Munich), Andrew Hainault (Montreal Impact), Brad Peetoom (Syracuse University), Matthew Britner (Brown University), David Edgar (Newcastle United FC), Simon Kassaye (unattached), and Vince Stewart (Simon Fraser University) have been chosen to play on Canada’s back line.

Mitchell’s three goalkeepers are Asmir Begovic (Portsmouth FC), Robert Giacomi (Glasgow Rangers), and Joshua Wagenaar (Hartwick College).

Canada will play a final exhibition against a Belgian Select team on Monday, June 6th in Belgium before leaving for Tilburg on Tuesday, June 7th to for their final preparations for the World Youth Championship.

After playing Syria, Canada will play Colombia on June 15th. Canada’s final match in the group stage is against Italy in Kerkrade, Holland on June 18th.

Second stage (Round of sixteen) play will begin on June 21st; the FIFA World Youth Championship 2005 final will take place on July 2nd in Utrecht, Holland.

Canada secured their spot after wining their group at CONCACAF qualifying with victories over Mexico, Honduras, and Jamaica; extending their CONCACAF qualifying unbeaten streak to nine games.

FIFA World Youth Championship

The FIFA World Youth Championship is a 24 nation and 52-match tournament featuring the best young 20-year-old players in the world. It is the second largest event staged by FIFA after the FIFA World Cup.

Canada’s most recent participation in this event occurred in December 2003 when its squad had its best ever finish, losing to eventual silver medalist Spain, on a golden goal in the quarter-finals held in the United Arab Emirates.

Please visit FIFA.com for more information on the FIFA World Youth Championship.

June 3, 2005 – International Friendly

Feignies, France

Canada 0(0)

Morocco 2(0)

Goals: Morocco-Benjellou (81), El Zhar (90+, PK)

Canada: 1-WAGENAAR, Joshua; 2-RAMALHO, Graham; 3-LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas; 4-HAINAULT, Andrew; 7-PETERS, Jaime (16-LALLI, Franco, 58); 8-ROSENLUND, Tyler; 9-GYAKI, Ryan; 10-JOHNSON, Will; 11-DE JONG, Marcel (12-O'NEILL, Riley, 45); 18-CHAROWSKI, Tomasz (17-LOMBARDO, Andrea, 45); 21-KASSAYE, Simon (14-EDGAR, David, 45); Head coach - Dale Mitchell

Subs not used: 5-PEETOOM, Brad; 6-SCHIAVONI, Carlo; 13-BRITNER, Matthew; 15-STEWART, Vince; 19-BEGOVIC, Asmir; 20-GIACOMI, Robert

Final Roster

# Pos. Name Club DOB Hometown Prov.

1 GK WAGENAAR, Joshua Hartwick College (NCAA) 26-Feb-85 Grimsby ON

2 D RAMALHO, Graham FC Groningen (Netherlands) 12-Jan-86 Calgary AB

3 D LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas 1860 Munich (Germany) 16-Jan-85 Lethbridge AB

4 D HAINAULT, Andrew Montreal Impact 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

5 D PEETOOM, Brad Syracuse University (NCAA) 2-Mar-86 Abbotsford BC

6 M SCHIAVONI, Carlo UAB (NCAA) 19-Aug-85 Lachine QC

7 M PETERS, Jaime Ipswich Town FC (England) 4-May-87 Pickering ON

8 M ROSENLUND, Tyler UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 13-Sep-86 Port Coquitlam BC

9 M GYAKI, Ryan Sheffield United FC (England) 6-Dec-85 Calgary AB

10 F JOHNSON, Will Chicago Fire (USA) 21-Jan-87 Woodridge IL

11 M DE JONG, Marcel Helmond Sport (Netherlands) 15-Oct-86 Toronto ON

12 F O'NEILL, Riley University of Kentucky (NCAA) 9-Sep-85 Campbell River BC

13 D BRITNER, Matthew Brown University (NCAA) 17-Apr-85 Halifax NS

14 D EDGAR, David Newcastle Utd. FC (England) 19-May-87 Kitchener ON

15 D STEWART, Vince Simon Fraser University (NAIA) 21-Jan-86 Delta BC

16 F LALLI, Franco Cavese Calcio (Italy) 11-Mar-85 Woodbridge ON

17 F LOMBARDO, Andrea Atalanta BC (Italy) 23-May-87 Toronto ON

18 M CHAROWSKI, Tomasz Duke University (NCAA) 15-Oct-85 Greenville SC

19 GK BEGOVIC, Asmir Portsmouth FC (England) 20-Jun-87 Edmonton AB

20 GK GIACOMI, Robert Glasgow Rangers (Scotland) 1-Aug-86 Richmond Hill ON

21 D KASSAYE, Simon unattached 19-May-85 Edmonton AB

STAFF

Name Duties

BARRETT, Angus Head of Delegation

MITCHELL, Dale Head Coach - U20 Men

DASOVIC, Nick Assistant Coach

MULDOON, Kevin Equipment Manager/GK Coach

CANNON, Eddie Physiotherapist

CAMPBELL, Mike Doctor

IVAN, Richard Press Officer

NEELY, Stuart Staff Coach

YALLOP, Frank Head Coach - Senior 'A'

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Manager

A late mental breakdown leads ot two quick goal by the opposition. Hopefully Mitchell will be able to get his boys focused for an entire 90 minutes when the real matches start.

Still, I'm a little discouraged by the lack of goal scoring on this team.

Was hoping to see a better result, but at least this should help Mitchell zero in on what seems to be a key concern: defensive mental errors. They played most of the game at nil - nil, so that sounds positive. It would be nice to know how they played overall, mind you. Mitchell says they looked tired, and he'll adjust training accordingly. Sounds like they've been working hard; I'm sure this hard work in training will pay dividends as soon as the tournament starts and they are fully rested and fit.

Canada loses to Morocco in last international match before world tournament

FEIGNIES, France (CP) - Canada's men's under-20 soccer team was defeated 2-0 by Morocco in a friendly on Friday, the team's final international tuneup before the FIFA World Youth Championship.

Andrea Lombardo almost gave Canada the lead in the 72nd minute, beating the last Moroccan defender and marching up the centre for a shot just right of the post from 16 yards out.

Abdes Benjellou scored for Morocco with a left-foot strike past Josh Wagenaar in the 81st minute after Canada turned the ball over inside its 18-yard box.

Morocco's second goal game in the final minute of extra time on a penalty taken by Nabil El Zhar. The penalty was awarded after Nikolas Ledgerwood fouled a Moroccan striker inside the box.

"The boys looked fatigued today, probably due to the work we have done since arriving in France," said Canadian head coach Dale Mitchell. "However, there is no excuse for the lack of discipline that led to the two Moroccan goals in the last ten minutes."

Mitchell also announced his final roster of 21 players for the World Youth Championship in Tilburg, Holland.

Up front, Canada will have Will Johnson, Franco Lalli, Andrea Lombardo, and Riley O'Neill.

Midfielders are Tomasz Charowski, Marcel De Jong, Ryan Gyaki, Jaime Peters, Carlo Schiavoni, and Tyler Rosenlund.

The back line will have Graham Ramalo, Nikolas Ledgerwood, Andrew Hainault, Brad Peetoom, Matthew Britner, David Edgar, Simon Kassaye, and Vince Stewart.

Mitchell's three goalkeepers are Asmir Begovic, Robert Giacomi, and Joshua Wagenaar.

Canada has a final exhibition game against a Belgian select team on June 6th in Belgium. The Canadians open the world tournament June 12 against Syria. Canada will then Colombia on June 15, and Italy on June 18.

Rudy quote

A late mental breakdown leads ot two quick goal by the opposition. Hopefully Mitchell will be able to get his boys focused for an entire 90 minutes when the real matches start.

Still, I'm a little discouraged by the lack of goal scoring on this team.

The refs quote

Ah, my favorite subject. The Staff is only one man short to make a full team of 11.

Your are correct 1 short and unforunatley they sent him home.

To both of you just some comments Uccello has had 3 scoring title in your country with 81 goals for the last three years in 54 competative appearences (not friendlies) he played in Canada. This year he is youngest serie d player to score 16 goals in 32 games finshed 21st over all in the entire serie d this year out of 3652 players in the league spread over 180 teams in 9 divison. His was voted the best player for his class 1986 with 17680 votes from the public, double more then anyone close to him. he was 2 goals shy of tying the top goal scorer for Savona Calcio of history.

YOU SEND THIS KID HOME are they nuts and they can't beat Morocco, sorry your in seriouos trouble on the onset. Please in lighten me who are these forwards you have. Why was Uccello trying out in the wings when he is a striker by far none what you have there they did it also in honduras as well.

Uccello means bird and bird's do lay eggs not wings that get plucked or cut.

:D

I look forward to seeing Julian Uccello as Canada's premier striker at the WYC 2007.

He'll get his shot.

It does seem odd that Julian didn't make the team given its lack of scoring prowess so far, but Dale Mitchell has built up enough good will for me to trust his judgement.

We'll find out shortly whether he was correct or not.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

[

Uccello has had 3 scoring title in your country with 81 goals for the last three years in 54 competative appearences (not friendlies) he played in Canada. This year he is youngest serie d player to score 16 goals in 32 games finshed 21st over all in the entire serie d this year out of 3652 players in the league spread over 180 teams in 9 divison. His was voted the best player for his class 1986 with 17680 votes from the public, double more then anyone close to him. he was 2 goals shy of tying the top goal scorer for Savona Calcio of history.

YOU SEND THIS KID HOME are they nuts and they can't beat Morocco, sorry your in seriouos trouble on the onset. Please in lighten me who are these forwards you have. Why was Uccello trying out in the wings when he is a striker by far none what you have there they did it also in honduras as well.

If he is so good then why is in Serie D, when some of the Italian U20 players are in Serie A?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I look forward to seeing Julian Uccello as Canada's premier striker at the WYC 2007.

He'll get his shot.

It does seem odd that Julian didn't make the team given its lack of scoring prowess so far, but Dale Mitchell has built up enough good will for me to trust his judgement.

We'll find out shortly whether he was correct or not.

rudi his only chance was this year as he is an 1986 player 2007 he is not eliglable

but yet Johonson, lomabrdo, edgar, peeters, are as they are 1987 that not good his only chance taken away and yet these players will have there chance 2 times over. nope not right but its his call thats futbol~

quote:Originally posted by analyst

If he is so good then why is in Serie D, when some of the Italian U20 players are in Serie A?

These italians you talk about have many years of experience this is the kids first year he will improve and one day he be will your first Canadian player to play in a serie a match game you see but if you can offer better! on this roster name them! then we can talk, ciao ciao and good luck!

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

rudi his only chance was this year as he is an 1986 player 2007 he is not eliglable

but yet Johonson, lomabrdo, edgar, peeters, are as they are 1987 that not good his only chance taken away and yet these players will have there chance 2 times over. nope not right but its his call thats futbol~

For some reason I thought Uccello was an 87.

Oh well, c'est la vie. The best thing Uccello can do now is work hard at his game and prove the Cdn staff wrong. Olympic qualifiers are only 2 years away.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Perhaps your question is valid. But consider the number of players selected who are playing in US colleges and given their ages, they would be only freshmen or sophomores at that level. I don't mean to underestimate the talent and calibre of the NCAA. In fact I have noticed in the past 3-4 years that our players who come from that level have done very good. Much better than what we saw in 2001.

But the player in question plays in Italy. I don't know that you play in a more "soccer-mad" culture. Just check out the Italian sports media to get an idea of the significance of the game in Italian life. That translates in a very competitive environment and I dont know how the NCAA ( although vastly improving) could measure up in terms of competiveness and depth of talent pool. If we are to dismiss the level of the competition that Uccello currently plays in then what are we to say about the level of play that Ian Hume played in leading up to the 2001 U20 WC. Hume was playing in the third tier of the professional soccer ladder at tranmere. Hardly an improvement, if any. Look at what Hume was able do for Canada in 2001.

quote:Originally posted by BusanBhoy

this result fills me with trepidation, Morocco were over here for a tourny last month, and they were abysmal in all areas of the game.

P.s the Colombians were also here and they looked class across the board. yikes

Which is interesting because Morocco tied Colombia (and it was a good Colombian team) and Argentina in late April in tune up matches in Panama. I rate Colombia very highly after what they did in qualitfying and top-four finishes at the last U20 and last U17. So if Morocco can hold Colombia, we didn't embarass ourselves giving up two late goals.

We will need to be better once the tournament starts, but then again, that's the point of these games.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

If we are to dismiss the level of the competition that Uccello currently plays in then what are we to say about the level of play that Ian Hume played in leading up to the 2001 U20 WC. Hume was playing in the third tier of the professional soccer ladder at tranmere. Hardly an improvement, if any.

I think there is a significant difference between where Hume was playing and where Uccello is playing. First, remember that Serie D is Italy's fifth tier (not fourth as it would seem), so it's two levels below England's third tier. Second, in England there are 24 teams at the third tier, 24 at the fourth tier and 22 at the fifth tier, whereas in Italy there are 37 teams at the third tier, 56 at the fourth tier and 164 at the fifth tier. Therefore, the level of play gets watered-down faster as you go down the Italian pyramid compared to the English pyramid.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I think there is a significant difference between where Hume was playing and where Uccello is playing. First, remember that Serie D is Italy's fifth tier (not fourth as it would seem), so it's two levels below England's third tier. Second, in England there are 24 teams at the third tier, 24 at the fourth tier and 22 at the fifth tier, whereas in Italy there are 37 teams at the third tier, 56 at the fourth tier and 164 at the fifth tier. Therefore, the level of play gets watered-down faster as you go down the Italian pyramid compared to the English pyramid.

Agreed, however you have to know why they did what they did to open so many teams to 160 teams.

The first and most important reason is to give the young players a chance to climb the latter. You may or may not know that in serie D there is a quota that they must start the game that quota is " 1 player must be a 1984 2 players must be 1985 and 1 player must be born in 1986" .

These are strict guideline and games would be forfeit if one team does not comply to these rules at the start of the game and during as well where they can only sub any of these 4 players that is equal or younger.

This would give a better conditioning more games and more experience rather then sitting on a bench watching games like some of these divison you mention above.

I still think the number of games is an experience goes much further then having maybe 6 games in a season like some of these players.

C2 and serie d trust me on this there is not much difference in performance of teams in fact I would say that they are similar of quality the only difference is that you don't have this rule that changes the field of competition which would be favourable for the c2 team slightly but not as much as you think.

Next year they have changed the rule again this time the quota would be 2 1987 players must start and 2 players 1986 and one I think 1985.

Playing with older X players of B C1 C2 toughens them up in serie D and prepares them to the next level at that earliest opportunity in their careers. And that what it all about nothing more or less if they do well they move up and if they don't they stay in Serie d for another year!

Interesting. Yeah, now that you mentioned it, I would have to concur. I have forgotten that anything under Serie B branches off into a very large pool. Therefore the comparaison to Hume was likely poor.

With all due respect to Julian, I do not think he is DM's type of attacker. I have never seen him play, but from all descriptions by those who have, he is a penalty area lurker and goal poacher (not that I do not think we could have used him).

DM seems to like attackers who pressure defenders all game and get back to help out in defensive positions. Attackers like Hume. In UAE, European based Bellotte and Godfrey got very little playing time, while NA based Lemire and Matondo played much more. Even Bruno played near as much as Bellotte and Godfrey.

With all due respect to Julian, I do not think he is DM's type of attacker. I have never seen him play, but from all descriptions by those who have, he is a penalty area lurker and goal poacher (not that I do not think we could have used him).

DM seems to like attackers who pressure defenders all game and get back to help out in defensive positions. Attackers like Hume. In UAE, European based Bellotte and Godfrey got very little playing time, while NA based Lemire and Matondo played much more. Even Bruno played near as much as Bellotte and Godfrey.

Rob Sing, an 18 year old Canadian is off to Italy later this summer for tryouts at several Serie B teams, thanks to a former Serie A player who now lives in the Vancouver area. It'll be interesting to see how he does, and if he ends up palying regularly at Serie B.

As for the thread, on the one hand its good that our U20 team lost against Morocco. It will motivate the players more. It would have been worse if we had won and then entered the qualifying round overconfident.

Archived