Big JDV Canada career over?

shaku_bert

http://ipswichtown.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=911&p=2&stid=8372289

De Vos Stands Aside

By Phil

Date: 3/2/2005

Canada captain Jason De Vos says his international career is all but over. While not formally retiring, the Town central defender has made himself unavailable for the rest of Canada's games this season.

Search DVDsCDsBooks

for

News of De Vos's retirement from representative football had been expected since Canada's disappointingly early exit from World Cup qualifying in October.

The former Montreal Impact, Darlington, Dundee United and Wigan man said: "I'm not going to announce my retirement but, to all intents and purposes, I have probably played my last game for Canada.

"I spoke to Frank [Yallop] about it at length a couple of days ago and there is nothing for me to play for anymore.

"The World Cup qualifiers are finished for us and the next one doesn't start for another four years.

"I'm not going to say 'that's it - I'm finished' but, for the foreseeable future, I won't be playing internationals."

Head coach Yallop has picked a relatively young squad for their game against Northern Ireland in Belfast on February 9th, including new Town winger Jaime Peters.

Peters is back at Town this week after his starring performance for the Canada U20s at their FIFA World Youth Championships qualifying tournament in Honduras.

-----------------------------------------------

Well, I for one, do not begrudge Jason his decision. Many thanks to JDV for being a faithful servant to Canada and a great skipper. Good luck to him in his drive to reach the EPL.

Jah-son De-Vos!

We'll be chanting his name in 2010 South Africa as he comes off the bench to shore up the backline one last time!

Provided that the EPL doesn't chew up his knees and cast him off as just another old war horse, good enough to get you promoted but not good enough to keep you there.

I'd rather see him on the bench than Watson though.

Devos is always going to be my captian canada, and hopefully he still plays for canada. But if he picks to never come back to the squad. I will respect his choice, because i know he loves this country and the canadian soccer team.

Trust me, you heard if first on voyaguer ;)

If a 34-36 yr old Jason DeVos is still a viable option for our centre back for the next wcq it will be another sad sad qualifying run. Too bad, I would have liked to see Canada field its best possible team for the Gold Cup, another GC win would have been a nice send off for deVos and Radz, and a great parting gift to give the next generation an opportunity to play at the Copa America and another Confederations cup in preperation for 2010.

Yes, DeVos is sort of like Trevor Linden in my mind: Even when they are not officially the captain of their team, they are still THE captain. What a quality guy he is. Couldn't be prouder of him. He is a wonderful example of Canadian footballer, dedicated to club and country, and a helluva guy.

With that said, I hope he sees the idea of legacy as something worthwhile over these next few years. He has an opportunity to help this young team, especially its back four, to develop into a wiser, calmer, and even more hardworking side. He has tonnes to offer in terms of leadership and experience. He still has a few very good years left in this rugged bones. I understand if he does not want to wait around for another World cup. I am a few years older than he is and the idea of hard competitive soccer makes my bones ache just thinking of it. Still, the passion to play, to represent one's country is not entirely dead. He is wise to stay away for a little while so that he can gain some new perspective. He is too smart, too loyal, too damned good to call it quits right now.

Like Craig Forrest did in the Glorious Gold Cup, I think DeVos will see an opportunity for one last stab at Canadian pride, and the opportunity to vault our young lads into the next era of Canadian soccer. My only sadness is that Jason could not be a part of this new wave. I still wonder where our leadership will come from with him gone.

JDV is a class act guy, and has always come when called, worn his heart on his sleeve, and been a great leader on the field for our National Team. By far he has been one of the most consistent people on the field game in and game out. Definitely a loss to the program but really, what does the program have to offer HIM anymore?

All good things come to an end. In this case I hope not as yet. Jason de Vos still is the best player Canada ever had, and the best captain the team ever had. A man who always played with full intensity regarless of physical pain or who was in charge. A true example and role model for the youth coming up. I understand Jason frustrations with our program and I think they have been there for many years.

All good things come to an end. In this case I hope not as yet. Jason de Vos still is the best player Canada ever had, and the best captain the team ever had. A man who always played with full intensity regarless of physical pain or who was in charge. A true example and role model for the youth coming up. I understand Jason frustrations with our program and I think they have been there for many years.

From the Globe article posted in another thread:

DeVos told the newspaper he might come back if Yallop needs to play a teaching role.

"He knows what I'm like, what my character is and if he feels, at some stage in the future, that he has a young centre-half who would benefit from playing alongside me for a few games, then I may consider playing — but he knows my focus now is my club football and that could well be the case until the end of my career."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050203.wpete3/BNStory/Sports/

From the Globe article posted in another thread:

DeVos told the newspaper he might come back if Yallop needs to play a teaching role.

"He knows what I'm like, what my character is and if he feels, at some stage in the future, that he has a young centre-half who would benefit from playing alongside me for a few games, then I may consider playing — but he knows my focus now is my club football and that could well be the case until the end of my career."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050203.wpete3/BNStory/Sports/

Yes, that is exactly the Devos we know and love, willing to come back to play some games to help develop a young centre back.

Now, do we have a young center back we want JDV to work with? Kluka, Nsaliwa, even Hutch? Maybe Hainault?

I think JDV has the chops and noggin to be an excellent coach some day.

Yes, that is exactly the Devos we know and love, willing to come back to play some games to help develop a young centre back.

Now, do we have a young center back we want JDV to work with? Kluka, Nsaliwa, even Hutch? Maybe Hainault?

I think JDV has the chops and noggin to be an excellent coach some day.

I like his decision, personally. He has been my favourite player on the Nats since Forrest. To me, it doesn't look like retirement but rather a break. The older you get, the harder the grind (don't forget his injury problems), so why not pace yourself as you begin moving towards the autumn of your career? Gold Cup? He's been there, done that, won that. I would love to see him achieve promotion with Ipswich to the Prem, so that should be his focus now. Then, when we get to the WC qualifying, maybe we could persuade him to return. If not, then hopefully he will be a future national team manager.

Which reminds me: did Forrest ever have a testimonial with Ipswich, or the national team for that matter? We should have a national team testimonial for Forrest and/or De Vos, with the proceeds going to charity.

I like his decision, personally. He has been my favourite player on the Nats since Forrest. To me, it doesn't look like retirement but rather a break. The older you get, the harder the grind (don't forget his injury problems), so why not pace yourself as you begin moving towards the autumn of your career? Gold Cup? He's been there, done that, won that. I would love to see him achieve promotion with Ipswich to the Prem, so that should be his focus now. Then, when we get to the WC qualifying, maybe we could persuade him to return. If not, then hopefully he will be a future national team manager.

Which reminds me: did Forrest ever have a testimonial with Ipswich, or the national team for that matter? We should have a national team testimonial for Forrest and/or De Vos, with the proceeds going to charity.

Essentially I see this as a hiatus as he prepares for likely his first prem season. The Gold Cup will fall just when the preparations for the new season will begin. At that level with expanded rosters and likely new signings, you don't want to be away with your national team leaving your spot for the taking. This is JDV first real shot at the Premiership and I don't think he wants anything to get in the way.

JMHO.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

man this sucks! DeVos is the MAN...I really hope he plays a few more games or finish his days with Canada vs. Portugal. Come on DeVos, win us another Gold Cup and maybe Japan Cup or w.e we were invited to play in. DONT QUIT NOW!!!

I also hope that not only DeVos but the rest of the players on the verge of retirement as well consider the game versus Portugal an excellent opportunity to call it quits with a stellar performance against one of the best teams in the world.

"If a 34-36 yr old Jason DeVos is still a viable option for our centre back for the next wcq it will be another sad sad qualifying run"

Big Kev's gonna keep that spot for himself, Jason goes to the WC as cover, coming on as a sub and allowing Kev to go up front and score the winner!

When all you've got is dreams, they gotta be good ones.

Love to see a testimaonial for the big man. He's a national treasure and should be ranked alongside such icons as Bobby Clarke, Victor Davis, Tiger Williams, Miriam Bedard etc. as examples of integrity, passion, determination and class.

I'll never forget that goal against Honduras, and the way he was robbed. Still makes me get all...choked up...sob...talk amongst yourselves...

Man, I will be sad to see JDV go, It always made you feel so much more comfortable watching a game knowing that he was anchoring the backline for Canada. He wore his heart on his sleeve and always showed up when Canada called for him, a true warrior. I don't blame him at all now if he wants to retire from international football to concentrate on club football, he is in the prime of his career and on the cusp of playing EPL, this is where he needs to make his big money contracts to set him up financially for the rest of his life. With World Cup Qualifying out of the way now, why should he really care about Gold Cups or Friendlies at this stage of his career. I'm still pissed off about that misdiagnosis from the doctor keeping him out of the first Guatemala game, I like to think maybe things would of been different if he were back there in a game where we looked so disorganized and ill-prepared,,and had we got off to a better start things could of ended up different, but oh well.. Who knows if we will ever see him make an appearance later on down the line or not, but either way, thanks for everything Jason...

Archived